Low to no carb

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Just being in a calorie deficit does not guarantee weight loss. If it did, we could all eat fast food and junk and be skinny. Do your research and you will find that the calorie deficit = weight loss has been debunked.

Except it has never been debunked. There is no evidence, anywhere, that people can maintain weight while eating at a deficit.

You are claiming that everything we know about energy is wrong. The burden of proof is on you here.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss has been debunked? When? Where?

Someone please show me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It hasn't. If you read the blogs that claim it has, they try to get into the thermal effect of feeding and hormonal issues ... but when all of the math is accounted for if the number of calories taken into the body is less than the body burns, loss ensues ... if the number is greater than used, gain occurs.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Of course. There used to be a poster that trolled around here for a while that posted the most absurd links trying to "debunk" CICO. They're all ridiculous.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just being in a calorie deficit does not guarantee weight loss. If it did, we could all eat fast food and junk and be skinny. Do your research and you will find that the calorie deficit = weight loss has been debunked.

So you're saying the human body is better than a perpetual energy machine. It can create energy from nothing. Is that the claim you want to make? If so someone from the government will be visiting you soon to harness this to supply endless energy to the world.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    pcantale wrote: »
    hi I'm looking to meet some people that are losing weight through low to no carbing. Any pointers or recipes? Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss. Thanks.

Low carb and keto diets create fat loss the same as any other diet...

So then why not refer her to the information she wants? Or pass the thread by.

OP: you were given a link to the low carb group. I'd suggest going there. There are primers, recipes, and lots of helpful folks.

I did give her information she wants

"Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss"

I directly answered that low carb works the same as every diet, therefore if you can't get a handle on weightloss perhaps make sure you're in a caloric deficit?

If you say so Agent Smith.
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb for about 6 weeks to treat pre-diabetes. While I would have described myself as "athletic", I didn't have near the male physique as some of the posters above!

I don't think this diet is for everyone, but if you are overweight or obese, and especially if you are overweight with insulin resistance, reading and educating yourself on these diets can be helpful.

As for the research comparing low carb vs. low fat +calorie restriction, I hope this link will be useful. I don't want to argue with anyone about this issue, but the concept of low carb +high fat diets is very intriguing (and working for me personally).

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mpantsari wrote: »
    I have been doing low carb for about 6 weeks to treat pre-diabetes. While I would have described myself as "athletic", I didn't have near the male physique as some of the posters above!

I don't think this diet is for everyone, but if you are overweight or obese, and especially if you are overweight with insulin resistance, reading and educating yourself on these diets can be helpful.

As for the research comparing low carb vs. low fat +calorie restriction, I hope this link will be useful. I don't want to argue with anyone about this issue, but the concept of low carb +high fat diets is very intriguing (and working for me personally).

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Some of those studies admit no statistically significant variance .. some note variances that are significant. Few of the abstracts get into body composition ... was the weight fat or water from depleted muscular glycogen stores. Weight as the end all, be all, factor fails to take many things into account.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

So you're saying the human body is better than a perpetual energy machine. It can create energy from nothing. Is that the claim you want to make? If so someone from the government will be visiting you soon to harness this to supply endless energy to the world.

Gosh Agent Smith that was pretty snarky.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think that's what I need is the under 20 carbs. I am going to do some research about it and figure out a meal plan and shopping list. I know it's going to be extremely hard but with hypothyroid and my levels being unbalanced it's hard to lose. I tried low fat, low calorie and it never worked. I did the atkins 3 years ago and lost a lot but this time it just doesn't seem to be working and I feel so confused. I just need to focused. Thanks all

Since your issue is with hypothyroid, you also might find this group to be helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    hi I'm looking to meet some people that are losing weight through low to no carbing. Any pointers or recipes? Having trouble getting a handle on this weightloss. Thanks.

What don't you understand about the posters stating their cravings were diminished with a low-carb or keto diet? Had they chosen a low-fat diet (fortunately debunked within the last few years) they probably would have failed.

Fantastic logic, what if they raised their protein intake and that was what kept them satiated and it wasn't the lower carbs?

Please post all the debunking of low fat diets, thx
    Cravings and satiety are two completely different issues. Yes, both protein and fat will help with satiety. However, you can feel full and still have carb cravings. I did...that's part of why it was so hard for me to lose when I tried eating sugary foods in moderation. A little sugar led to massive cravings for much more. That led to sugar binges.

When I went low carb, the cravings disappeared. Yes, I could have theoretically lost the weight eating a high carb diet...you can lose on any diet you can stick to. But STICKING TO IT is the key. Some people, I am one of them, find low carb diets MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to stick to. Yes, the fat and protein prevents me from getting hungry. But in my case, the lack of sugar cravings is much more important than never being hungry.

I realize there are a bunch of people on this site who claim that cutting out sweets entirely led to them feeling deprived and eventually binging. However, there are many, and I am one, who are the exact opposite. Cutting out added sugar and certain other carbs PREVENTS binging. Each person needs to find what works best for them.

Moderation works best for some. Low carb works best for others...and keto is ideal for some portion of them.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

What don't you understand about the posters stating their cravings were diminished with a low-carb or keto diet? Had they chosen a low-fat diet (fortunately debunked within the last few years) they probably would have failed.

Fantastic logic, what if they raised their protein intake and that was what kept them satiated and it wasn't the lower carbs?

What is it with all these guys with selfies of their bodies? They always have the same comment.

There is something called Google. Do your own research.

I don't care how they did it. If you limit yourself to 1,500 calories or whatever number of calories, find the way that works best for you. And many people succeed with high-fat, low-carb diets.

If a high-protein diets work for people, great.

If a low-fat high carb diet works, great. But I don't hear too many successes with that approach.

What is the big deal?

Confirmation bias doesn't allow it

As posted before:

http://authoritynutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Weight-loss-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets.jpg

From the article. Scroll down and look at the 1st chart (I can't copy it). What don't you understand?

Weight Loss

Here is a graph that shows the difference in weight loss between studies. 21 of 23 studies reported weight loss numbers:

The majority of studies achieved statistically significant differences in weight loss (always in favor of low-carb).

Authority nutrition is run by a low carb zealot.not exactly an unbiased source
    The studies don't control for protein........... try again
    Relatively high-protein or 'low-carb' energy-restricted diets for body weight loss and body weight maintenance?
    http://m.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/low-fat-diet-tops-low-carb-in-first-controlled-trial
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100652
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25182101
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What is it with all these guys with selfies of their bodies? They always have the same comment.

I don't care how they did it. If you limit yourself to 1,500 calories or whatever number of calories, find the way that works best for you. And many people succeed with high-fat, low-carb diets.

If a low-fat high carb diet works, great. But I don't hear too many successes with that approach.

What is the big deal?

As posted before:

http://authoritynutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Weight-loss-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets.jpg

From the article. Scroll down and look at the 1st chart (I can't copy it). What don't you understand?

Weight Loss

Here is a graph that shows the difference in weight loss between studies. 21 of 23 studies reported weight loss numbers:

The majority of studies achieved statistically significant differences in weight loss (always in favor of low-carb).

Lol! Please do tell how many of those had significant differences in fat loss and tightly controlled for both calories and protein intake? I already know the answer but can't wait for you to tell us. Also that doesn't "debunk" low fat diets in the least bit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why is it necessary to control for protein intake ? if taking out the major component of the SAD the other two are going to go up, it seems an arbitrary constraint to limit that to fat. The studies are about whether carbohydrate restriction works for weight loss in humans, not isocaloric carbohydrate restriction at constant protein intake.

Some show no difference, some show carbohydrate restriction is better, do any show fat restriction at the same calories and protein to be better ?
  • yarwell
    edited April 2015
    Options

ah yes, a six day trial which doesn't achieve steady state. Look at the calorie balance in that one.
  • Acg67
    Options

What is the big deal?

As posted before:

Weight Loss

Lol! Please do tell how many of those had significant differences in fat loss and tightly controlled for both calories and protein intake? I already know the answer but can't wait for you to tell us. Also that doesn't "debunk" low fat diets in the least bit.

I'm not debunking anything. I previously stated that if a low-fat diet works for someone, that is just fine. Why would I question that person's success?

Your problem is that you dismiss studies that more people lose weight with HFLC diets, which seems to be validated at MFP. There is an entire active dedicated HFLC group on MFP. I can't find the low-fat group. Maybe I just don't see it.

Why are statements like favoring HFLC diets over high-carb diets such a threat to your very existence?

Actually this was a statement from you "Had they chosen a low-fat diet (fortunately debunked within the last few years)", you then asked to present some evidence of said debunking which you've been unable to do so

Where did I dismiss any study that showed higher weightloss for low carb? I merely asked if well known confounders were Controlled for.

It seems you've never actually read the studies he mentioned and if you did, don't understand their short comings
  • Acg67
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Why is it necessary to control for protein intake ? if taking out the major component of the SAD the other two are going to go up, it seems an arbitrary constraint to limit that to fat. The studies are about whether carbohydrate restriction works for weight loss in humans, not isocaloric carbohydrate restriction at constant protein intake.

Some show no difference, some show carbohydrate restriction is better, do any show fat restriction at the same calories and protein to be better ?
    yarwell wrote: »
    Who hy is it necessary to control for protein intake ? if taking out the major component of the SAD the other two are going to go up, it seems an arbitrary constraint to limit that to fat. The studies are about whether carbohydrate restriction works for weight loss in humans, not isocaloric carbohydrate restriction at constant protein intake.

Higher protein diets have a slight metabolic advantage and also have been shown to have higher satiety measures than other diets, thus if not Controlled for it there is no way to determine if it was a higher protein intake of the lower carbs

Depends on the study, there are some that do, but they rely on self reported intake so they are iffy at best, numerous metabolic ward studies that control for both protein and calories have found no significant difference in fat loss
  • yarwell
    edited April 2015
    Options
    there is equally no need to determine if it was the higher protein or the lower carb when the two go hand in hand. Is diet A better than diet B is the key question for practical use outside a metabolic ward, not a pedantic analysis of the precise metabolic factor of the macronutrients.

Ed: So can we have a link to an isoprotein metabolic ward study with the same calorie deficit please (that isn't conducted by the author of a diet) which shows no difference in fat loss (as opposed to weight loss).