Low to no carb

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    there is equally no need to determine if it was the higher protein or the lower carb when the two go hand in hand. Is diet A better than diet B is the key question for practical use outside a metabolic ward, not a pedantic analysis of the precise metabolic factor of the macronutrients.

Ed: So can we have a link to an isoprotein metabolic ward study with the same calorie deficit please (that isn't conducted by the author of a diet) which shows no difference in fat loss (as opposed to weight loss).

So there's no way to go lower carb and increase fats and keep protein the same? How are they hand in hand?

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2007-0692
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/63/2/174.full.pdf+html
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Why are we arguing about LCHF vs HCLF? The OP said that they have hypothyroidism and are currently having trouble regulating levels, and are looking at LC to lose weight. Their post has nothing to do with cravings, or satiety, or which person loses more weight with which diet.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Why are we arguing about LCHF vs HCLF? The OP said that they have hypothyroidism and are currently having trouble regulating levels, and are looking at LC to lose weight. Their post has nothing to do with cravings, or satiety, or which person loses more weight with which diet.

Because the Agent Smiths love to argue.
  • kgeyser
    Options

The Agent Smiths weren't the ones who started the argument, nor was anything they said argumentative; it was actually a reasonable response given the content of the OP.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Agent Smith simply stated that low carbing worked by creating a calorie deficit before the issue of thyroid was raised. That's not an argumentative post.

THEN he was argued with. I suppose that should not have been rebutted at all.

To the OP, the main concern I have for her is her unregulated thyroid. Is she under the care of an endocrinologist? Diet won't fix this.

I've been in the situation of having a thyroid go out of whack and not respond to medication for a time. It's not fun. Weight can be a problem then, no matter what you do. You really need medical intervention.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

The Agent Smiths weren't the ones who started the argument, nor was anything they said argumentative; it was actually a reasonable response given the content of the OP.

I disagree. I think one of the agent smith's started it right out the gate.
    But whatever, I'm sure the OP has abandoned thread by now.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    pcantale wrote: »
    I think that's what I need is the under 20 carbs. I am going to do some research about it and figure out a meal plan and shopping list. I know it's going to be extremely hard but with hypothyroid and my levels being unbalanced it's hard to lose. I tried low fat, low calorie and it never worked. I did the atkins 3 years ago and lost a lot but this time it just doesn't seem to be working and I feel so confused. I just need to focused. Thanks all

Since your issue is with hypothyroid, you also might find this group to be helpful.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

BTW, yes, this is a great suggestion.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Your stalking of the "Agent Smith's" is borderline creepy
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Your stalking of the "Agent Smith's" is borderline creepy
    LOL. Kinda hard to avoid Agent Smiths here.
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes, telling someone who says they can't lose weight and so must low carb, that all diets work exactly the same was starting something. In no way was it on top and perfectly relevant.

Your contributions have certainly added a ton to the thread.
  • Acg67
    Options

Btw what's your pet name for all the ignorant low carb enthusiasts that always pop up ie. The ones who post the diet doctor and authority nutrition links and simply make things up to support low carb like low fat diets have been debunked?
  • kgeyser
    Options

No, the comment was that low carb and keto create fat loss the same as any other diet - which is true, correct? And since the OP didn't mention a medical condition and said they were having trouble getting a handle on weight loss (just weight loss), responding that going LC is not necessary is a completely reasonable response. The person even clarified what they meant by the statement.

If you choose not to believe that based on your own biases about the tone of comment or the person saying it, that's on you, not him, and it's up to you to determine how you are going to choose to react. If you thought he was derailing or flame baiting…there's a guideline for that, and it should have been reported.

OP, I hope the groups people suggested have information that help you figure things out.
  • pcantale
    pcantale Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No, I'm still here. Didn't think my question was going to cause such an argument. But thank you all for your responses and group recommendations. Oh and I do see my endo on a regular buy for some reason my thyroid has just been in chaos since October. I'm on synthyroid and I am hoping low carbing will help control my weight while my thyroid decides to respond to meds. By the way I have had both endo and primary tell me low carb is the best weightloss program for hashimotos hypothyroid. That's why I was asking for help. Recipes, suggestion and experiences thanks all.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    pcantale wrote: »
    No, I'm still here. Didn't think my question was going to cause such an argument. But thank you all for your responses and group recommendations. Oh and I do see my endo on a regular buy for some reason my thyroid has just been in chaos since October. I'm on synthyroid and I am hoping low carbing will help control my weight while my thyroid decides to respond to meds. By the way I have had both endo and primary tell me low carb is the best weightloss program for hashimotos hypothyroid. That's why I was asking for help. Recipes, suggestion and experiences thanks all.

That tends to happen when you mention the words "low" and "carb" together in the main forums. You'll get a lot more useful info in the groups that were linked than you will out here.
  • Acg67
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

Btw what's your pet name for all the ignorant low carb enthusiasts that always pop up ie. The ones who post the diet doctor and authority nutrition links and simply make things up to support low carb like low fat diets have been debunked?

Just give up already. If a low-fat diet works for you, great. I'm happy for you and I believe you.

But the low-fat diet resulted in the obesity and diabetes epidemic when it was pushed on the American public in the early 1980's. People began to believe it was FAT, not CALORIES, that make you fat. Finally, the government gave up. Fat no longer makes you fat! About time.

EGGS were demonized as heart attacks on a plate. So they were replaced with much higher calorie BAGELS. When they were introduced SNACKWELL cookies flew off the shelf because they were low-fat.

How hard is this to understand?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/opinion/when-the-government-tells-you-what-to-eat.html?_r=0

Did you really post an OP ed from the anti science quack Nina Teicholz?

So low fat diets resulted in obesity? Did they cause it, if so how?

And now idiots think carbs or sugar make you fat, what a long way we've come

You've still yet to post a single shred of actual evidence of low fat diets being debunked. Are you done making things up now?

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have nice things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All, drop this low carb vs low fat crap. Its doesn't address the OPs concerns. If you really want to keep it up, i can start handing out strikes for hijacking.

Op, check out the link that @kgeyser‌ linked. Since you have a medical condition things need to be addressed differently.

But if you do low carb, you need high fat.
  • Acg67
    Options

Just give up already. If a low-fat diet works for you, great. I'm happy for you and I believe you.

But the low-fat diet resulted in the obesity and diabetes epidemic when it was pushed on the American public in the early 1980's. People began to believe it was FAT, not CALORIES, that make you fat. Finally, the government gave up. Fat no longer makes you fat! About time.

EGGS were demonized as heart attacks on a plate. So they were replaced with much higher calorie BAGELS. When they were introduced SNACKWELL cookies flew off the shelf because they were low-fat.

How hard is this to understand?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/opinion/when-the-government-tells-you-what-to-eat.html?_r=0

Did you really post an OP ed from the anti science quack Nina Teicholz?

So low fat diets resulted in obesity? Did they cause it, if so how?

And now idiots think carbs or sugar make you fat, what a long way we've come

You've still yet to post a single shred of actual evidence of low fat diets being debunked. Are you done making things up now?

Never seen anyone freak out so much when their world view is challenged.

I guess this is also a bunch of BS.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/nutrition-panel-calls-for-less-sugar-and-eases-cholesterol-and-fat-restrictions/

From your first link, now go to your second link and check what sources they used to make their recommendations

And I've never quite seen someone so ignorant and seemingly incapable of doing even a cursory amount of unbiased research

"But the primary problem is that nutrition policy has long relied on a very weak kind of science: epidemiological, or “observational,” studies in which researchers follow large groups of people over many years. But even the most rigorous epidemiological studies suffer from a fundamental limitation. At best they can show only association, not causation. Epidemiological data can be used to suggest hypotheses but not to prove them.

Instead of accepting that this evidence was inadequate to give sound advice, strong-willed scientists overstated the significance of their studies."