Told off at the gym?!?

Options
I have lost 86 lbs and am feeling like a new, healthy, happy person. I am a better friend, daughter, wife and I am finally the mother that my daughters deserve. I still have weight to lose and I am working very hard at reaching my goals.
Today while at the gym someone that I have gotten to know came over to say "hello" while I was on the bike, she asked how my kids were and we chatted for a bit. After she walked away a woman working out beside me asked how old my kids were, (they are 10 months and almost 4). When I answered she gave me a horrible look and said "Don't you feel bad for being so selfish, spending time at the gym that you should be spending with them?" I was shocked, then she followed up with " They are so young, you should be spending time with them instead of leaving them god knows where and spending your time alone at the gym". She got off her machine and stormed away.
I have felt bad about the time that the gym takes away from my kids and I make sure that I go in the evening as much as possible and get in my workouts around their schedules. I also feel like me taking control of my life will benefit my kids for the rest of their lives and that me being healthy will teach them to lead healthy lives. I am a much better mom now and I have the energy to have fun and play. I was almost 300 lbs and I am sure that if I had kept going the way I was I would not have been around for them for long.
I just had to share this because I was really upset by this!

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    All I will say is hurting people hurt people. She must be in a bad place in her life right now. Try to let it roll right off your back. You are doing the right thing by caring for yourself.
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    You are right, you are doing this for them as well!!

Some people just don't know when to mind their own business and obviously has no idea the things you do with your family and time. People like that don't even deserve an explanation. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. I felt guilty at first too when I started this, but a little bit of time away here and there is actually a GOOD thing for both Mommy and kids!!

So keep up the great work and don't let people like that ruin your days!!! HUGS!!
  • TxChickTW
    TxChickTW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    #1 DO NOT FEEL BAD!! Every mom deserves something for thereselves and this is for you. Yes you are doing it for family to but if you are enjoying it and looking great at the same time THEN GREAT!! You can't be with your kids 24/7 and I am sure they are not God knows where. People like that don't know the whole story and pass judgement!! I say you are doing great and keep doing what you are doing. I am sure the kids are liking the little break from mom too (LOL)..

****GREAT JOB ON ALL YOUR WEIGHTLOSS**** KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK***
    Try to not let what others say get to you, I know its hard!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ok I will say it..............screw her. :angry:

Ok I feel better.

I can tell you from first hand experience............your being at that gym IS for your kids!!

When you run in the grass with them

When you get on a ferris wheel

When you walk around Disney

When you have two legs and your eyesight because your not diabetic

When you feel good and act loving because you feel that way about yoursel.

When you are around to see their kids, and their kids kids born and grow.

THAT is how much you love them!!! :love: :heart:

DO NOT let one idiot...........scumbag................dirtscumbag..........make you feel bad. NO do not.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    WOW! I'm sorry that woman said such rude things to you. First off NEVER EVER EVER feel guilty for taking care of you. Having a healthy mom setting a good example is the best gift you can give your children. I think this woman must have some serious baggage and regrets in her life. Don't let her troubles break you down. You are doing the right thing! (PSST and your doing awesome too! ;) )
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    That was really rude and uncalled for from that lady. She doesn't know anything about you - or that you work your schedule around the kids as best as you can. She doesnt acknowledge that improving your health adn mood is all part of improving their lives as well. I don't blame you for being upset. But try not to dwell on it. It sounds like she either has issues of her own, or that she really has no idea what it's like to have to juggle family, work, and personal time.

You're on the right track, it sounds like to me. Don't let her drag you down. xo
  • GrayJohn
    GrayJohn Posts: 74
    Options
    Hey

Firstly well done for losing that amount of weight!!

Secondly - whilst you are at the gym you are getting healthier and also adding years to your life, thus being able to be around your kids for longer.

No brainer.

Keep it up!!!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't worry about her! You are doing this for your kids. I'm not a mom, so I dont know how hard it is to take time away from them to do anything, but bettering your life is a step towards all of your futures! You're doing the right thing, try not to dwell on what the mean lady said. Congratulations on your weight loss so far!!! :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Ok I will say it..............screw her. :angry:

Ok I feel better.

I can tell you from first hand experience............your being at that gym IS for your kids!!

When you run in the grass with them

When you get on a ferris wheel

When you walk around Disney

When you have two legs and your eyesight because your not diabetic

When you feel good and act loving because you feel that way about yoursel.

When you are around to see their kids, and their kids kids born and grow.

THAT is how much you love them!!! :love: :heart:

DO NOT let one idiot...........scumbag................dirtscumbag..........make you feel bad. NO do not.

Mkay, this said it better than I did, so ... ditto. :wink:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have lost 86 lbs and am feeling like a new, healthy, happy person. I am a better friend, daughter, wife and I am finally the mother that my daughters deserve. I still have weight to lose and I am working very hard at reaching my goals.
    Today while at the gym someone that I have gotten to know came over to say "hello" while I was on the bike, she asked how my kids were and we chatted for a bit. After she walked away a woman working out beside me asked how old my kids were, (they are 10 months and almost 4). When I answered she gave me a horrible look and said "Don't you feel bad for being so selfish, spending time at the gym that you should be spending with them?" I was shocked, then she followed up with " They are so young, you should be spending time with them instead of leaving them god knows where and spending your time alone at the gym". She got off her machine and stormed away.
    I have felt bad about the time that the gym takes away from my kids and I make sure that I go in the evening as much as possible and get in my workouts around their schedules. I also feel like me taking control of my life will benefit my kids for the rest of their lives and that me being healthy will teach them to lead healthy lives. I am a much better mom now and I have the energy to have fun and play. I was almost 300 lbs and I am sure that if I had kept going the way I was I would not have been around for them for long.
    I just had to share this because I was really upset by this!

Pahleeeez! I know as soon that woman left, you've been thinking of all the snippy things you wish you could've thought to say to her right then. You are doing the best thing possible for your kids by taking care of yourself. Through your hard work and dedication they will learn a healthier lifestyle and you are able to give them a better childhood. You can play, wrestle and run with your kids that was probably practically impossible at your previous weight.

That woman was obviously bitter about something going on in her own life, that has nothing to do with you. You just happened to be the closest person for her to spread her misery to.

Keep on track! You're looking and doing great.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm completely baffled by this, how could someone just randomly come to conclusions like this. She doesn't know your situation, she doesn't know anything about you. IMHO, don't sweat it, people like this are not worth your concern, she obviously has her own issues to deal with.

and yes, congrats on the loss!
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    OMGosh! Tell her to go kick rocks! That is your time to destress and decompress. You are a better mom for setting a good example that health matters!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    WOW!:noway: some people sure have gutts hey?
    I think you are doing an amazing job!! Just remember that you are getting fit so your kids have you for a longer time. It's so your kids HAVE a mom. I'm proud of you for finding time for yourself, most moms struggle with that. You are doing great! She was very opinionated, maybe havin a bad day . . . there are all kind of people out there.
    Good luck on the rest of your journey!!:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
    Keep your chin up missy!:wink:
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You're not doing this so can get away from the kids for a while... you're doing this for your health so you CAN spend time with them... doing all the things you couldn't do before.

Don't let her get you down... you know what you've done and what you've accomplished and what your goals are.
  • kristenMcP
    kristenMcP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not a mother but I know two things:

1) That lady is rude
    and
    2) You're a great mother

You have to take care of yourself to be able to take care of your children. Congrats on what you've done so far and I wish you the best of luck through the rest of your journey!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what if you DID workout every evening to get away from the kids?

I know that If I had spent every waking moment with the 3 I have I probably would have gone insane!

I love them and enjoy the time spent with them but EVERY mom needs some down time.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Mean and stupid people will always find a way to be mean and stupid. This wasn't about you, she just wanted to bark and you were there.
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    Next time, lift your hand up to her face and say, "Talk to the hand!"
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    :( I agree with other posters. You ARE being there for your kids by taking care of yourself. Right now I wish I could run around with my 4 year old more than I can. I'm trying to lose weight so I *can* be there for him when he is a little older... and I feel like I'm setting a good example for him of eating well and exercising too.

And GREAT job on losing the weight!
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being redundant I'll add to the pile of support.

In order to be a great mom you must take care of yourself first. That's why on an airplane they always say "in case of an emergency put on your own oxygen mask before trying to assist others." If you you're not taken care of you can't take care of anyone else. You are doing the right thing and don't ever let anyone tell you different.

Congratulations on all of your progress you've made!!! :flowerforyou: