Told off at the gym?!?

Options

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    All I will say is hurting people hurt people. She must be in a bad place in her life right now. Try to let it roll right off your back. You are doing the right thing by caring for yourself.

I agree. Especially for a complete stranger to feel it ok and necessary to judge you so harshly when she herself is at the gym... My child is only 1 1/2 and I work out 5 days a week, she doesn't come with me, it's my time to myself... it's a healthy thing and I think everyone needs it regardless of what you do during that time! The 2 days I don't go to the fitness center I spend with her and take her on walks. I grew up in an unhealthy household and struggled with weight my whole life, I didn't have parents to help me learn healthy living habits. I think what you and many parents on mfp are doing is great, kids=monkey see monkey do. Just b/c your child may not be physically with you at the gym, they know what your doing and see the results.

Brush it off, obviously she has an issue and is turning her anger towards someone she shouldn't or is avoiding her own issues.

Great job btw!!!!!
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have time right this second to read everything above, so I may be repeating everything that someone has already said, but THE NERVE OF HER!! Really, you being at the gym an hour (or whatever you do) a day is NOTHING compared to THE YEARS they may have lost with you when you developed diabetes, heart disease, etc. and died from complications from either (hypothetically speaking, of course). I am IRATE about this right now. I cannot believe someone has the gall to put their nose into someone's business like that AND JUDGE YOU about trying to be a better person for your children. And then to storm off like YOU were the one out of line??? I am speechless.

What I would suggest doing is tomorrow, walk in to your gym with your head held high....as you should....and if you see that woman again, smile and tell her "My kids are out in the parking lot, locked up in the car, so now you, AND GOD know where they are!" and walk away!! LoL!! Okay, maybe that's a little spiteful but really.....BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
  • AutismMom
    AutismMom Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Omg!! I am in the same boat as you, I have 3 little ones under 3, and I have to go when my son is in ABA therapy, and I bring the other 2 with me to the gym daycare!! You are doing this for your children, that they will have their mom around longer, the same reason I am!! Ignore that woman, and be proud of yourself!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Heather, while I was reading your post all I could think was WHAT!? WHAT!? I can't believe someone who doesn't even know you would pass judgement like that. That is so mean and hurtful! I think she must have issues in her own life to react as she did. Don't let it bother you. You have every right to get yourself healthy. Congratulations on your weight loss. You're doing a wonderful job and you're kids are going to benefit by having a healthy mommy. :flowerforyou:
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mean People Suck
    . Try not to let it get ya down. There are parents in the world who ARE crappy but you are not one of them. This woman needs to get a reality check on what REAL neglect is and leave good people alone.
    You have proof of being a good mother when you look at the smiling faces of your children and hear all the I love you Mommy s they give you. This womans words don't mean anything ! I wonder about people who accuse someone of hurting another person.. ..in order to hurt the person they are accusing.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Wow! That is insane! I just want to echo the support!! I'm sure your kids will thank you someday for the time you spent taking care of yourself and being healthy & giving them a good example to follow rather than being bitter about the nearly insignificant amount of time (in the grand scheme of things) that you are away from them! Keep it up!!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Ok I will say it..............screw her. :angry:

Ok I feel better.

THAT is how much you love them!!! :love: :heart:

DO NOT let one idiot...........scumbag................dirtscumbag..........make you feel bad. NO do not.

What she said... Except this was the nice version of what I was thinking...
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Eesh! There are two possible explanations.. she was having a horrible day or is just a random b*tch.. either way is NO excuse for that kind of mouth. I agree with everyone else, you ARE helping your kids by working out! SCREW HER.
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Working out and being healthy is all new to me and I have felt guilty about taking time for myself so what she said hit me hard, but you are all right and I know that down the road when I can be at my girls graduations and weddings I will know that the few hours I spent on me where all worth it!
    Hope you all are doing great and reach your goals too!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt feel guilty, you are doing this for them!
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Heather, I think I know that person. Was she green and on a broom stick? Don't for one minute think you are being selfish. As a mom of 3 kids with the youngest in high school, I believe it is just as important for a mom to get away and have time to herself so she can re-energize! You are doing the right thing don't ever doubt that!!
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mother or not, EVERYONE needs a little me time.

if you see her again just give her a smile an a wave, will probably wind her right up.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Perhaps next time you should ask her if it would be better if you weren't around because of diabetes, heart disease, etc or other obesity related illnesses that slowly kill you (I'm not making a judgment...I too have A LOT of weight to lose). Did that woman ever think of it that way? JEESH! Makes you want to reach out and touch someone...and not in a nice way! :explode:

Please do NOT feel guilty about putting your health and happiness as one of the priorities in your life.

Some people are just small minded.....
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I was a little shocked by this. Is she kidding. Mothers need time to themselves in order to regroup and refresh.
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Shes obviosly not a Mother.... I hope! Us Moms have to take care of ourselves too! What an idiot!
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Holy what a "B"!!! I would have given her a piece of my mind thats for sure! How does she know your kids weren't napping? Or weren't out with their dad, grandma, aunt etc. having some bonding time with them? She has no idea and its NONE of her business!!! Is there really anything wrong with dads having some alone time to bond with their kids???? for real now!
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    I"m LIVID at people like that...HOW dare she be so cruel...who the heck is she?:noway:
    NO ONE that matters
    just hateful because she's angry at her ownself...
    i'm so sorry that happened
    you are doing the best for your kids
    by getting in shape
    and every dang mom needs time away....
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Don't let that person make you feel bad. That was just rude and uncalled for. AND VERY UNTRUE!! You are unselfish because you are working on improving your health and lifestyle so that you will be there for your children in the future. Also you'll be leading by example in showing them that taking care of your body is important.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you think it won't escalate into something physical I'd say you should approach her and demand an apology and have her explain her behavior. That kind of behavior is very immature, particularly because she is reacting to such a small amount of information regarding your family circumstances. Are you neglecting your children - being away from your children for one hour a day is not neglect as long as they are being taken care of. That lady is in need of some parenting.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    wow! sorry that happened to you. what a mean thing to say!