Over 60's and overweight!

Options
Sweepypie
Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
hi, anyone else out there who is over 60 and overweight? I am Scottish but have lived in Lincoln England for the past 33 years.

Replies

• vlwilliams1
    vlwilliams1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 60 and 30 lbs overweight. I live in the US. Looking forward to making some new friends to support one another. Started to count calories 3 days ago and today I joined the walk challenge for April.
  • ancl17
    ancl17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    61, as of March, and I have been using the food diary since January. I live in Sussex on the south coast of England. I am looking to add some exercising - reluctantly; but, willing to have a go. Other immediate goal is to keep within the calorie target.
  • cantd8yet
    Options
    I am 61 and I weighted 211 when I started my weight loss journey. I am now down to 192. I gave up all bread, pasta, and sugar. I limit myself only 1500 calories a day. I don't get hungry. I walk daily.
  • clngupmyside
    clngupmyside Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not 60 but nearing it! I would love to be s part of the group. I live in Maryland
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    well, I'm the old one here. 66 on MFP for a few weeks now. I've lost 22 lbs (need LOTS more). Go swimming everyday now, working out with the foam barbells and noodle. Love the water
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    60 and in the USA
  • Sweepypie
    Options
    I will be 67 in June and I am also disabled, overweight and losing weight on 1490 calories. I never use all of them!
  • clngupmyside
    clngupmyside Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :)
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am now 67. I started with MFP 14 months ago. Lost a few pounds. Walk every day. Have some wonderful MFP friends. Add me if you need a new friend.
  • tipper65
    tipper65 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am going to turn 60 this year . I'm starting today and need to lose 50 lbs! I can't believe I let it get this far . I need motivation if you want to add me. I'm at 1210 cals a day and we will see how it goes. I'm not very active walking only 1 mile and a few weight lift exercises.
  • abuenator
    abuenator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. I sm a handicap 64 year old. Do not read any post from any disabled seniors trying to be as healthy as they can be. Just need to request some support. I am recently able to walk with a walker, left the wheelchair (yea). In and out of the hospital and nursing home. Physical therapy said I have learned from them all that they can help me with. Since Jan 4, 2015, lost 20 lbs. I am exercising in the chair. Just thought there is a disabled or handicap senior out there that needs to know I am here. Thank you for letting me post even though I am no where near your accomplishments.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    abuenator wrote: »
    Hello to all. I sm a handicap 64 year old. Do not read any post from any disabled seniors trying to be as healthy as they can be. Just need to request some support. I am recently able to walk with a walker, left the wheelchair (yea). In and out of the hospital and nursing home. Physical therapy said I have learned from them all that they can help me with. Since Jan 4, 2015, lost 20 lbs. I am exercising in the chair. Just thought there is a disabled or handicap senior out there that needs to know I am here. Thank you for letting me post even though I am no where near your accomplishments.

It appears you are track to eliminate the word disabled from your vocabulary the way you are working at it. Fortunately I am not disabled, but reading your post is inspiring to me. If you can do what you do, there is no reason I can't keep doing what I do. Keep it going.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I just turned 60 in March. I am totally familiar with what is needed in order to lose weight, to become and world of MFP. Goodness knows I have tried and failed countess times in my life to achieve that goal. The difference between then and now? Time. A month after I turned 60, I retired after 36 year work life. I now HAVE the time to do what I need to do to get fit. And then when I look at myself and think of myself now at 60, what comes to mind is the relative notion that I do not have a lot of time. I need to get this right...now! So, 2 days after retiring I grabbed my bag dusted off and reset the contents and headed back to the Y and started swimming and water walking again. A short time later, I reopened and updated MFP and started using that again. So far I have only missed a few days, but they were for rest or doing some home exercise. I can't report any significant loss yet, but sure as I post this my weight ain't gone up either!
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey I have a 65 year old in my weight class!! Anyone can do it!!!
  • Sweepypie
    Options
    abuenator wrote: »

Hi, I am 67 next month and I am also disabled. I have been with MFP since November and I have lost 2st 6lbs so far! Most of the exercises I do are done sitting down. :)
  • lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Soon to be 62 I started Dec 26, 2014 at 178 (I was once 231) I am down to about 141 now with perhaps 10-12 more to go.
  • abuenator
    abuenator Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the encouragement and support. I was beginning to feel alone after being discharge from my physical therapy. I knew I was slipping into a slippery slope letting my feelings of aloneness continue on the rise. I use to be a jogger in my younger days and kept that goal to return to. This year I had to dig deep into myself and come to the realization and acceptance I will not be able to reach that goal. I had to let go of those dreams and goal off my youth. Anyways what I want to say is thank you and I am busy trying out new goals. Like graduating from a walker to a 4 legged cane. But for now let me set realistic goals for me. Ok. Talk to you later, my goal for me right now is to reach 150 steps with Bogart, I named my walker Humphrey Bogart. Talk to you later, my Bogart is waiting. ;):)
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Scottish lady. My roots are somewhere in the Loch Lomond area and I'm looking forward to a trip to your beautiful land within a couple of years. Travel is just another reason to get into good shape. 61. Retired educator and working part time. Exercise at the gym 6 afternoons a week and light weight training every other day. Trying to make movement, staying hydrated and eating healthy a daily routine. It's about commitment for me. I have to be tough on myself! Some days I just want to skip my workouts, run errands and get home early, but when I'm committed, I do find healthy ways to reward myself. Not focusing on the scales, clothing size or weight measurements, but always glad to see results. Sending you positive energy from across the pond.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I went up to the star, top right corner, and bookmarked this thread. Hope that means it's easy to find next time.
  • Mammabear49
    Mammabear49 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake.......a lot of "us" in this group. I will be 58 in June, so close enough......

It is more challenging, harder and more frustrating to lose weight as we get older, but it's still doable. :smile: