Over 60's and overweight!

Options
2»

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am 63 and a few years ago, I was fat. lost 84 lbs. It can be done, just takes patience, planning and perseverance.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    60, been on MFP since mid Oct 2013. I've lost over 90 pounds & am 2 away from goal. Just because we're "seasoned" doesn't mean it can't be done. Friend me if you like. ...
  • scarlettribbons
    scarlettribbons Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just started my diary today.
    I'm 62 from Liverpool U.K.
    I'm trying to lose 14lb, which I've gained through medication, and not being able to get out, I can manage 25mns of exercise 4/5 days a week.
    I'm currently on 1,200 Cals a day, but try to keep it under that about 1,000, can any one tell me if this will enable me to lose 1lb a week.
    Would like some inspiration/motivation please, as depressed at the moment.
  • jeanlake
    jeanlake Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Scarlett. As my doctor states, it's math -- 3,500 calories equal 1 pound. Whether exercise output or food intake controls, this is the way scales work. Of course, metabolism and water weight comes into play, which is what most of us are lamenting. But stay with it, keep moving, eat healthy and drink plenty of water. I'm concerned any calories under 1,200 may be too few calories, which will affect energy and muscle building. Also, you'll just gain weight back once you increase caloric intake to a healthy number. Even slow progress is progress!
  • tipper65
    tipper65 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I started 3 days ago doing 1230 cal and plan to walk no less than 1 mile per day and today I walked 2.2 miles. I have to say I must have lost some water weight my joints feel good and I am down 3 lbs from my lowest weight.! ( and I had to get up 3 times in the night lol) It is clearly easier to be mobile when your energy is not going to digesting food all day. I am a mindless eater. I have patiently waited my turn and now it is my turn. When I turn 60 in Jan 2016 I want to be shopping for a new small wardrobe!
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    jeanlake wrote: »
    Hi Scottish lady. My roots are somewhere in the Loch Lomond area and I'm looking forward to a trip to your beautiful land within a couple of years. Travel is just another reason to get into good shape. 61. Retired educator and working part time. Exercise at the gym 6 afternoons a week and light weight training every other day. Trying to make movement, staying hydrated and eating healthy a daily routine. It's about commitment for me. I have to be tough on myself! Some days I just want to skip my workouts, run errands and get home early, but when I'm committed, I do find healthy ways to reward myself. Not focusing on the scales, clothing size or weight measurements, but always glad to see results. Sending you positive energy from across the pond.

Hi, Thank you for your positive energy from across the pond! I am from Glasgow and yes Scotland is a beautiful country. We go up every so often to see it. Last year we stayed in Perth. I loved it. Colin is from Lincoln, England. I can't exercise a lot really as I am disabled. Playing with my great grandson Drew keeps me fit and I like to think that I eat healthily. My husband Colin does all the cooking but if it's just a sandwich then I can do that. Good luck in your workouts and diet! :)
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just started my diary today.
    I'm 62 from Liverpool U.K.
    I'm trying to lose 14lb, which I've gained through medication, and not being able to get out, I can manage 25mns of exercise 4/5 days a week.
    I'm currently on 1,200 Cals a day, but try to keep it under that about 1,000, can any one tell me if this will enable me to lose 1lb a week.
    Would like some inspiration/motivation please, as depressed at the moment.

You need to eat a bit more! It will make your metabolism slower--your body will store more fat because its not getting the energy it needs each day. Drink lots of water too!!!
  • jeanlake
    Options
    tipper65 wrote: »
    Well I started 3 days ago doing 1230 cal and plan to walk no less than 1 mile per day and today I walked 2.2 miles. I have to say I must have lost some water weight my joints feel good and I am down 3 lbs from my lowest weight.! ( and I had to get up 3 times in the night lol) It is clearly easier to be mobile when your energy is not going to digesting food all day. I am a mindless eater. I have patiently waited my turn and now it is my turn. When I turn 60 in Jan 2016 I want to be shopping for a new small wardrobe!

Good job, Tipper! and you're absolutely right. After the initial soreness from waking up your muscles, your joints will thank you for moving. I love my new flexibility. I'm working on my mindless eating as well. That's why the food and exercise log on this site has been a reality check for me. I hope you are using this helpful feature. I read where, after 50, if you participate in mindful exercise and practice good nutrition and hydration, you should lose 10% of your body weight in 6 months. Of course we want to lose it more quickly but this is healthy and reasonable progress that we can be able to sustain. Enjoy the rest of your week. Jean
  • jeanlake
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    60, been on MFP since mid Oct 2013. I've lost over 90 pounds & am 2 away from goal. Just because we're "seasoned" doesn't mean it can't be done. Friend me if you like. ...

You rock, KJurassic -- What an accomplishment. Inspiring me to keep moving, keep hydrating and be mindful about food intake. My progress is slow - 61 yrs, post menopause and sedentary job. Love your 'new normal!'
  • HalloweenEve
    HalloweenEve Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm 63 and I live in Iowa. I'm 5'9", so I am able to hide a bit of my weight, but need to lose about 25 lbs. CW 175; GW 150-155. I'd love to be a part of your group!