Diet of Air, Sunshine and Water

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
I hope this isn't the next fad diet.

//www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/navenna-shine-breatharian-light-air-water-no-food_n_3398862.html

The Seattle resident and British native recently embarked on an experiment, titled "Living on Light," in which she nourishes her body much as a plant would: on water, air, and "light." According to Shine, this isn't light in the conventional sense of sunlight, but "a nutritional source already embedded within our body/mind/Spiritual systems."

According to her Facebook page, the 65-year-old is now more than 32 days into the experiment. In order to prove her day-to-day activities don't include nourishing herself, she's posted eight cameras throughout her house, and she claims to never stray from them so as to prove -- definitively -- whether or not eating is a good idea. She's also posting incremental updates on YouTube.

So, in 6 months will she be:
a) Dead
b) Nearly Dead
c) Fabulous
d) Posting here saying she doesn't know what went wrong.

Replies

• Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Reading this made me sad. Unfortionately, i think others will try.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Once all the protein in her body is gone she is pretty much as good as dead if she doesn't get some soon.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    YIKES! How on earth can she think this is a good idea? This women has taken "clean eating" to the extreme.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    She's going to kill her metabolism... Hasn't she heard she needs AT LEAST 1200 calories a day? STARVATION MODE!!!!!!!
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of Prahlad Jani who claims not to have eaten a thing for decades.

http://www.thecollectiveint.com/2013/05/indian-man-survives-without-food-and.html

(edited for a typo)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    YOU PEOPLE ARE INSENSITIVE!! ALL HER LIFE SHE WAS TOLD SHE CAN BE ANYTHING SHE WANTS TO BE WHEN SHE GROWS UP!! SHE CHOSE TO BE A PLANT!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell, but I just get worked up when people bash someone's dream to turn into a plant. :angry:
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    YOU PEOPLE ARE INSENSITIVE!! ALL HER LIFE SHE WAS TOLD SHE CAN BE ANYTHING SHE WANTS TO BE WHEN SHE GROWS UP!! SHE CHOSE TO BE A PLANT!

Sorry, didn't mean to yell, but I just get worked up when people bash someone's dream to turn into a plant. :angry:

Your so right! Here i thought diet and exercise was the only way to be healthy i totally forgot i have the sheer will power to become anything i want!! Ive been doing it all wrong! WONDER TWIN POWERS ACTIVATE FORM OF A UNICORN!
  • brower47
    Options

I hear photosynthesis is complicated. I'm sure she'll pull it off.:laugh:
  • TheBeerRunner
    Options
    P9cdYh2.jpg
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This is the next step of being a vegan.....just become a plant.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I read in the article that 4 other "breatharians" died trying to do this. Hmmmm...... Apparently they just did it wrong....?

ETA:
    http://www.kcci.com/news/national/woman-to-attempt-to-live-on-water-sunlight/-/9357144/20447098/-/4f79jm/-/index.html

Read that in this article. haha Not the one on this thread.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    *kitten*. I want to be a plant! I would save so much money and have a sweet tan.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    P9cdYh2.jpg

She's trying to single handedly do what no animal has done in 600 million years of animal evolution, and evolve the ability to photosynthesise. Single handedly. All by herself. And she's not even green.
  • brower47
    Options
    P9cdYh2.jpg

She's trying to single handedly do what no animal has done in 600 million years of animal evolution, and evolve the ability to photosynthesise. Single handedly. All by herself. And she's not even green.

You don't know if she's green or not. She might drive a smart car and recycle.
  • TheBeerRunner
    Options
    Is the fact that she lives in Seattle a fatal flaw to this plan?
  • LadyWolf66
    LadyWolf66 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this on an older episode of Wife Swap of all things. I think it's called breatharianism.

http://www.jasmuheen.com/living-on-light/breatharians/

This lady says that one can live without water as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia - Here is another page about it and it was interesting reading the different followers of this.... whatever you call it.

Me personally? I think I'll stick to a healthy diet *in addition* to the air, sunshine, and water (some breatharians claim you don't even need water).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

At least she'll get plenty of rain
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    P9cdYh2.jpg

but plants don't drive smart cars or take their waste plastic and glass to the tip, and they can still photosynthesise...
  • neandermagnon
    Options

At least she'll get plenty of rain

She's British, apparently, so maybe she didn't realise that Seattle doesn't get much sun, because it gets more than Britain does and that seems like an awful lot of sun to her.
  • brower47
    Options
    P9cdYh2.jpg

but plants don't drive smart cars or take their waste plastic and glass to the tip, and they can still photosynthesise...

That's only because she hasn't made the transformation yet. And I'm sure responsible plants would do both those things.