Does ~1600 sound reasonable for a 180lb woman trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ok, anyone out there know the answer to this question about wearing the fitbit during classes and whether or not to log the classes if you are then? i can see the problem for step class, though with step class i am definitely working harder than just walking... but for other workouts like body pump i wouldn't see it as a problem as i'm mostly stationary doing weights
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I started here at 5'7" and 180 lbs, 1600 was my base calories before exercise. Once exercise calories were added in, I ate an average of 1800 per day to lose 1 lb per week. 2 lbs per week is really aggressive for as little as you have to lose.

i just put in 2lb/week as a goal, i don't expect to lose that much, right now i'd be happy to lose half a pound per week!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ok, anyone out there know the answer to this question about wearing the fitbit during classes and whether or not to log the classes if you are then? i can see the problem for step class, though with step class i am definitely working harder than just walking... but for other workouts like body pump i wouldn't see it as a problem as i'm mostly stationary doing weights

There is a way to do this. You have to keep track of the start and end time of your exercise class. I don't know any more specifics, but perhaps someone else does this.

Or you know, you can just try a specific gross (not net) calorie goal (1600 or 1800) for a few weeks and adjust from there. But consistent logging and accurate weighing will be key so you will have a better idea of how much you are eating.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, is it possible that you have an underlying medical condition like PCOS or a thyroid issue that might be a confounding factor here?
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yes, it sounds right. I have similar stats. You may have to revolutionize the way you eat! I can share what my 1600 calorie a day looks like if you want.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    But do you wear your Fitbit during the classes? If so, the steps you take during that time are getting doubled.

Unless she enters her starting time, in which case MFP lets the Fitbit know there was activity during that time frame and it adjusts it.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    i have a SLIGHTLY low thyroid, nothing any of my doctors have said much about... haven't heard anything about PCOS, i would have right? @melodyis4reals if i could look at your day that would be great!
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    But do you wear your Fitbit during the classes? If so, the steps you take during that time are getting doubled.

Unless she enters her starting time, in which case MFP lets the Fitbit know there was activity during that time frame and it adjusts it.

YES! i do do that!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    i have a SLIGHTLY low thyroid, nothing any of my doctors have said much about... haven't heard anything about PCOS, i would have right? @melodyis4reals if i could look at your day that would be great!

If you have a slightly low thyroid, the normal estimates would be off for you.

When was the last time you had it checked?

• meghanduprey
    Options

ermmmmmm.... a few months ago. any idea how much it could be off by?
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

Just a couple hundred calories at the most.

Okay info dump coming. I have hypothyroidism, so here are some tips just in case this is the cause of your problem. Or at least what I'm thinking after reading all of this.

1. Think about setting your goal to 1 pound a week, lightly active (or sendentary or whatever gets the right calorie count), and unsyncing your Fitbit. Enter your exercise if you want to track it, but just enter your burns at 1 or 2 calories. Try to have a calorie goal of 1450-1500 calories.
    2. Some people with underactive thyroids benefit from cutting their carbohydrate intakes. This doesn't mean that you have to eat a low carb diet, but limiting them to 125-150 grams a day might be a good place to start.

Try this for a few weeks, and see where it gets you. Replace your carbs with protein and fat. You can switch to 2% yogurt, for example.

Make sure you are weighing EVERYTHING. All solids. Measure all caloric liquids. If you start losing weight faster than a pound a week, you can eat more food. If you still aren't losing weight, you need to see your doctor.

Two pounds a week is too aggressive a goal for a 30 pound loss. You'll stand a chance of losing muscle mass attempting that.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I never ate under 1650 (total), I'm 36 now (your age when I was 180 pounds), 5'5", was about as active as you then (10k steps a day, bit of strength training), and I lost just fine. I weigh all my food though.
  • meghanduprey
    Options

Okay info dump coming. I have hypothyroidism, so here are some tips just in case this is the cause of your problem. Or at least what I'm thinking after reading all of this.

1. Think about setting your goal to 1 pound a week, lightly active (or sendentary or whatever gets the right calorie count), and unsyncing your Fitbit. Enter your exercise if you want to track it, but just enter your burns at 1 or 2 calories. Try to have a calorie goal of 1450-1500 calories.
    2. Some people with underactive thyroids benefit from cutting their carbohydrate intakes. This doesn't mean that you have to eat a low carb diet, but limiting them to 125-150 grams a day might be a good place to start.

Try this for a few weeks, and see where it gets you. Replace your carbs with protein and fat. You can switch to 2% yogurt, for example.

Make sure you are weighing EVERYTHING. All solids. Measure all caloric liquids. If you start losing weight faster than a pound a week, you can eat more food. If you still aren't losing weight, you need to see your doctor.

Two pounds a week is too aggressive a goal for a 30 pound loss. You'll stand a chance of losing muscle mass attempting that.
    I changed it to 1.5lbs a week and that gives me 1400cals. right now it is giving me 175carbs, is there a way to change how many carbs it allots me for the day?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    If you go into Goals and select customize, you can fiddle with the percentages until it shows the right numbers.
  • meghanduprey
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you go into Goals and select customize, you can fiddle with the percentages until it shows the right numbers.

sweet! found it! so don't add any exercise or anything anymore?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Not for now. The biggest thing for now is to be as accurate as possible with the calorie counts so you have good data to see what's happening. Weigh EVERYTHING.

If you have to eat this low even with your exercise and not counting it, let's see how the scale moves. It might be time to go back to the doctor about your thyroid.

It might be that you weren't logging your food properly, though if pasta was the only thing you didn't weigh and you haven't had it in a while, I doubt that accounts for the whole problem.

Give it 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

• meghanduprey
    Options

Not for now. The biggest thing for now is to be as accurate as possible with the calorie counts so you have good data to see what's happening. Weigh EVERYTHING.

If you have to eat this low even with your exercise and not counting it, let's see how the scale moves. It might be time to go back to the doctor about your thyroid.

It might be that you weren't logging your food properly, though if pasta was the only thing you didn't weigh and you haven't had it in a while, I doubt that accounts for the whole problem.

Give it 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

thank you :) at this point i'm willing to try anything i'm so frustrated. this is good information
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

No they're not, as when you log exercise you put the time you did the class/workout so it can take that into account with your step count and calories burned.

I'm around 180lbs now and aiming to get back to 150ish lbs as I was pre pregnancy. I eat 1500-1600 and lose, although I don't eat back exercise calories, and I workout 5/6 times a week and run round after 3 young kids.

I weigh pretty much everything, but I don't weigh bread! I have a slice every day with breakfast so I figure if it weighs more or day, the next it might weigh less. It all evens out. I think weighing bread is unnecessary, unless it's the kind you have to slice yourself.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm 185 pounds and I've eaten 1500 many times and lost weight. I ate 1700 yesterday and I still lost weight according to trendweight. I think 1600 would be just fine. I try to stay around 1200-1300, but some people can't do that.
  • meghanduprey
    edited April 2015
    Options

erg, have already gone over my allotted carbs for the day and haven't even had dinner yet. still have about 500 cals i can eat. tomorrow will be better now that i have more information though :)