Does ~1600 sound reasonable for a 180lb woman trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about letting yourself ease into it. You need time to plan how you're going to meet your new goal with different food choices.
  • Joker_CFH85
    Options
    you need more fat in your diet! It plays an important role in your bodies hormones.
    Also, less sugar.
    I think you need to start avoiding food marketed as "low fat" as they often have healthy dietary fat removed and processed sugars added.
    Another point that I'm not sure if it has been raised is water consumption? Are you getting enough? It aids in both fat loss and overall health.

If you have set your goal as 1kg per week then I would recommend eating any calories gained from exercise. Though you will need to gauge over time how accurate MFP's estimates are for you (weight lifting I need to double as I train intense and running/walking I use a separate app that calculates elevation). Anything more than a net deficit of 1100 calories a day will likely result in muscle loss (the aim is FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss).

I don't really want to touch on nutrient timing as there are many different views on the subject, however, it would be wise to eat a good portion of complex carbs an hour before any exercise to give you extra energy to push yourself. Exercise is a means to get healthier, not lose weight (I can eat 1000 calories in 10 minutes, yet it would take me 2 hours to burn it off)

Stick to your NET deficit each day and SLOWLY adjust if you're not losing. But make sure everything else is in check before you blame it on simply "too many calories" as not all foods are created equal
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    you need more fat in your diet! It plays an important role in your bodies hormones.
    Also, less sugar.
    I think you need to start avoiding food marketed as "low fat" as they often have healthy dietary fat removed and processed sugars added.
    Another point that I'm not sure if it has been raised is water consumption? Are you getting enough? It aids in both fat loss and overall health.

If you have set your goal as 1kg per week then I would recommend eating any calories gained from exercise. Though you will need to gauge over time how accurate MFP's estimates are for you (weight lifting I need to double as I train intense and running/walking I use a separate app that calculates elevation). Anything more than a net deficit of 1100 calories a day will likely result in muscle loss (the aim is FAT loss, not WEIGHT loss).

I don't really want to touch on nutrient timing as there are many different views on the subject, however, it would be wise to eat a good portion of complex carbs an hour before any exercise to give you extra energy to push yourself. Exercise is a means to get healthier, not lose weight (I can eat 1000 calories in 10 minutes, yet it would take me 2 hours to burn it off)

Stick to your NET deficit each day and SLOWLY adjust if you're not losing. But make sure everything else is in check before you blame it on simply "too many calories" as not all foods are created equal

i agree with the less sugar observation. it's a struggle, i've gotten my sodium intake down but sugar intake i'm still working on. i don't know if they make 2% vanilla greek yogurt though, if i get the normal kind at 2% i'll just end up putting more crap in it to make it taste better, you know?

i am a water FREAK! i have a 24oz Dunkin Donuts cup that i refill at least 5 times a day. it's really all i drink except coffee, which i am now trying to give up because i can't drink coffee without cream and sugar :(

ok, i'm daft, what is net deficit? is that food and exercise combined deficit? what's the difference between net and gross? i should know this but i don't...
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Also, less sugar.

OP, do yourself a favor and ignore all the nonsense that poster gave you above. Seriously.

Also, less sugar.

i agree with the less sugar observation. it's a struggle, i've gotten my sodium intake down but sugar intake i'm still working on. i don't know if they make 2% vanilla greek yogurt though, if i get the normal kind at 2% i'll just end up putting more crap in it to make it taste better, you know?

i am a water FREAK! i have a 24oz Dunkin Donuts cup that i refill at least 5 times a day. it's really all i drink except coffee, which i am now trying to give up because i can't drink coffee without cream and sugar :(

ok, i'm daft, what is net deficit? is that food and exercise combined deficit? what's the difference between net and gross? i should know this but i don't...

If you don't know after 6 weeks what a deficit is or what the difference between net and gross is then that means you are not in a deficit. You can't guarantee that because you don't even know what that is.

that comment doesn't help me at all, can you please be more specific with what you mean by it then? i know i'm at or below what MFP recommends and they adjust based on how much you want to lose per week so i DO have a deficit, i just don't know if it's net or gross. if you could explain it that would be very helpful
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think the person that she needs to ignore said net deficit in regards to exercise burns. Meaning eating back her exercise calories. Because he used that more in context meaning net calories.

• melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here is a typical day. I cut and pasted meals from different day because I realized I eat a lot of ethnic foods that some of us don't, like huaraches or injera. :)
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
  • thatgumyoulike
    thatgumyoulike Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i have a SLIGHTLY low thyroid, nothing any of my doctors have said much about... haven't heard anything about PCOS, i would have right? @melodyis4reals if i could look at your day that would be great!

I was in a similar situation and the only thing that helped me was staring thyroid meds to bring my numbers down. Have you had all your numbers checked? Do you have hashimoto antibodies? If so your levels can fluctuate a lot. I got so frustrated trying to lose premeds, now I have the same regimine with less exercise and am losing about 1.5 per week.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The amount you weigh doesn't tell you the entire story. The reason why the scale isn't moving is because your adding new muscle. Muscle is more dense and will misled you if you are tracking by weight alone. You should be going by body measurements and what you see in the mirror.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Relic61 wrote: »
    The amount you weigh doesn't tell you the entire story. The reason why the scale isn't moving is because your adding new muscle. Muscle is more dense and will misled you if you are tracking by weight alone. You should be going by body measurements and what you see in the mirror.

You don't add new muscle in a deficit. Even though she is not losing weight and possibly in maintenance, she would not be adding enough muscle to make that kind of a difference on the scale.
  • Gregory_Horton
    Gregory_Horton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You don't add new muscle in a deficit. Even though she is not losing weight and possibly in maintenance, she would not be adding enough muscle to make that kind of a difference on the scale.

Yes you can! Recomposition of the body WHILE dieting will occur if you eat below maintenance and excersise.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Yes you can! Recomposition of the body WHILE dieting will occur if you eat below maintenance and excersise.

Dude, recomp is a slow slow process and you need to be eating close to maintenance and lifting progressively heavier ..does anything the OP has said make you believe she is doing that?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

If only it were that simple. I'd look awesome now.
  • meghanduprey
    Options
    lowered my calories down to 1400 and my carbs to 45% (or maybe 40% i can't remember...). it's going to take me a minute to catch up because i have a metric ton of fat free vanilla greek yogurt to plow through before i can up my fat intake (another suggestion because i never even come close to that number though i do have some issues with my sugar intake).
    i also disconnected my fitbit as per another reply. so a lot of changes to shake things up. that one is a little disappointing because it takes the motivation away from getting my steps in a little bit :( i know the reasoning behind it because it "gives me less calories" because i'm not adding in exercise calories but psychologically it is demotivating.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    lowered my calories down to 1400 and my carbs to 45% (or maybe 40% i can't remember...). it's going to take me a minute to catch up because i have a metric ton of fat free vanilla greek yogurt to plow through before i can up my fat intake (another suggestion because i never even come close to that number though i do have some issues with my sugar intake).
    i also disconnected my fitbit as per another reply. so a lot of changes to shake things up. that one is a little disappointing because it takes the motivation away from getting my steps in a little bit :( i know the reasoning behind it because it "gives me less calories" because i'm not adding in exercise calories but psychologically it is demotivating.

Are you weighing everything now?

Remember that this is just an experiment. This is really an awfully low number of calories for your stats.

If you're losing more than a pound a week, up your calories.