rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    walk or bike to work
    plant a garden
    manual lawn mower
    shovel your snow
    walk to mail,grocery, etc
    put each item of clothes away separately, 1 item at a time.
    cut your own wood for fireplace
    manual mow elderly neighbors yard
    get a hobby to get you moving, golf,basketball, etc
    rearrange your furniture everyday
    change all bedding in home everyday
    clean house daily, mop, vacuum, dust,
    build something you need instead of buying it.(picture frame) wood, manual saw,hammer,
    anything that requires power (gas,electric) find a way for you to do it. (kind of going back in time and giving up conviences)
    To me it is more convenient to go for a walk,run,gym.

• getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

Going to a gymn is a waste of time and money. You pay all that money to torture yourself in the hope you sculpture the perfect physique only to be tortured into submission and disappointment.

You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

I have a mind set that will only do something if it has a purpose.

quote]

For you exercise, for the sake of it, might be pointless, but this is not true for many people. Do you not do anything just for the enjoyment of it, with no other purpose? Most recreational activities are done just for enjoyment and I can't think of anyone that I know that does not do some recreational activity.

For some people exercise, all by itself, is a form of recreation. Others exercise to increase their performance or to reduce the risk of injury when doing activities they enjoy doing.
    So, think of the activities that you enjoy doing and consider what type of exercise would enhance or compliment those activities. If you are more or less a sedentary person who's idea of recreation is watching a movie or reading a book or other non-physical activities, exercise will still provide general health benefits. This does not require going to a gym or running in circles, but it does require some physical exertion.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    cmm7303 wrote: »
    someone clearly hates being able to do physically demanding things..clearly the OP is lazy. Pathetic to just label the gym as pointless when some people genuinely enjoy pushing their bodies and improving physically as well as mentally.

If you want to know some of the uses I have benefited from building strength and endurance here are a few...

Don't get winded or tired going up stairs
    Can carry a lot of weight without much struggle
    Genuinely feel happier and relaxed

It has a purpose, you're just too blind to see it with your so called "mindset".

Um, no?

I like being able to climb stairs without being winded...so I climb stairs. Pushing one's body to achieve some arbitrary goal isn't this person's thing..they're looking for utilitarian and pragmatic ways to burn calories that aren't "just" going to the gym.

Also, a lot of posters keep saying that they "improve mentally" or "feel more happy and relaxed" working out. That's awesome. Really. Good on you. For some of us, that isn't the case. After getting hit by a car in high school, I've never felt that way about working out again. I've suffered through it (for a sport) and then because I got sick and needed to regain my health, but I'll be damned if I ever intentionally run on my battered knees again. Ever.

Ease up, huh? Some of us really would rather find a way to improve the life we're living, not utterly change everything about ourselves in a pursuit of "pushing their body"...because otherwise people like you will call us lazy.
    Lazy = "unwilling to work or use energy."
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    9pn0mcsiv471.jpg

just one of the many many reasons I work out.

Yes and to live longer, move easier, and be HAPPY!! :) it's my passion!!

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I <3 exercising and that is why I do it every day. :)
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Some posts just shouldn't be replied to....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cmm7303 wrote: »
    someone clearly hates being able to do physically demanding things..clearly the OP is lazy. Pathetic to just label the gym as pointless when some people genuinely enjoy pushing their bodies and improving physically as well as mentally.

If you want to know some of the uses I have benefited from building strength and endurance here are a few...

Don't get winded or tired going up stairs
    Can carry a lot of weight without much struggle
    Genuinely feel happier and relaxed

It has a purpose, you're just too blind to see it with your so called "mindset".

Um, no?

I like being able to climb stairs without being winded...so I climb stairs. Pushing one's body to achieve some arbitrary goal isn't this person's thing..they're looking for utilitarian and pragmatic ways to burn calories that aren't "just" going to the gym.

Also, a lot of posters keep saying that they "improve mentally" or "feel more happy and relaxed" working out. That's awesome. Really. Good on you. For some of us, that isn't the case. After getting hit by a car in high school, I've never felt that way about working out again. I've suffered through it (for a sport) and then because I got sick and needed to regain my health, but I'll be damned if I ever intentionally run on my battered knees again. Ever.

Ease up, huh? Some of us really would rather find a way to improve the life we're living, not utterly change everything about ourselves in a pursuit of "pushing their body"...because otherwise people like you will call us lazy.

It's fine and dandy to prefer that activity be integrated into your day rather than done as a separate exercise effort. But phrasing it as the OP did, as being pointless, invites the snark. Like it or lump it, it's the way of the internet.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP you should check out Geocaching. It can be great fun and give you a good work out. A lot of local caching groups plan hikes of varying levels of fitness. They also do CITO events - Cache In, Trash Out - and those are great for activity with a purpose. www.geocaching.com

Basic membership is free.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As you can see, for a lot of people the point of exercise is to feel better- whether because they're hotter, stronger, more limber or whatever reason, there is a purpose to it.

From my perspective, movement is medicine. In order to be a healthy, centered individual, it's important for me that my physical state is the best that I can make it so that I can live a happy and healthy life. Plus I see movement as a meditation- it's how I realize that body and mind are one, and whether it's my yoga practice or an hour of cardio every morning, it's how I tune in to myself. As someone who has had to deal with a lot of stress and anxiety in the past, it is the number one most important thing I get out of exercise. It is the reason that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    What a weird post.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks. A couple of good suggestions. I agree with the walking one. I find that, when I do use the train to go to work, I get off one stop earlier and walk the rest. It helps me think and contemplate on the wonder of life.

:-) Also I am very proud of being lazy. Laziness is what makes great engineers. Besides what other mindset would invent the cat flap or the autopilot :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Thanks. A couple of good suggestions. I agree with the walking one. I find that, when I do use the train to go to work, I get off one stop earlier and walk the rest. It helps me think and contemplate on the wonder of life.

:-) Also I am very proud of being lazy. Laziness is what makes great engineers. Besides what other mindset would invent the cat flap or the autopilot :-)
    Or that sometimes people avoid certain exercises or activities because they just aren't that good at them. Most people that tell me they hate dancing is because they can't dance. Same with people who dislike math.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Or that sometimes people avoid certain exercises or activities because they just aren't that good at them. Most people that tell me they hate dancing is because they can't dance. Same with people who dislike math.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can see martial arts as a form of exercise with a purpose. Defending oneself is important. I might take up kick boxing especially since it is a great partner with the cycling I do.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

Going to a gymn is a waste of time and money. You pay all that money to torture yourself in the hope you sculpture the perfect physique only to be tortured into submission and disappointment.

You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

I have a mind set that will only do something if it has a purpose.

I therefore ask you for suggestions for exercise that has a use. For example I have the following :-
    1) cycling to work - because it saves you money and gives you the freedom.
    2) Taking on an allotment - lots of varied exercise in the form of shifting and digging. You come away with fresh vegetables.

Looking for other ideas.

Huh. Cycling to work. 42 miles one way. Yeahhhhhhnooo, not happening.

Gardening? I can't keep a plant alive more than a few months. Pretty sure gardening is not in my future.

Listen, whatever YOU find to do that you enjoy, more power to you. But don't piss all over those of us who deliberately find time to get physical. We enjoy it or we wouldn't do it.