Pointless exercise

Options

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

Going to a gymn is a waste of time and money. You pay all that money to torture yourself in the hope you sculpture the perfect physique only to be tortured into submission and disappointment.

You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

I have a mind set that will only do something if it has a purpose.

I therefore ask you for suggestions for exercise that has a use. For example I have the following :-
    1) cycling to work - because it saves you money and gives you the freedom.
    2) Taking on an allotment - lots of varied exercise in the form of shifting and digging. You come away with fresh vegetables.

Looking for other ideas.

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I exercise for wine.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Lame thread. Fail.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    How about exercising so you can eat more yummy food without getting obese? Sounds like a great reason to me!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    9pn0mcsiv471.jpg

just one of the many many reasons I work out.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    it38b4nm1mau.gif

I'm a little in love with you right now.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I also hear dieting is pretty pointless as well. Might as well eat what you want, when you want, as much as you want.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    #doingitwrong
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Exercise is pretty pointless. I see no point in having pain in my joints so I exercise. The exercise allows me to live without pain. Doesn't get much less pointed than that.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    envy09 wrote: »
    it38b4nm1mau.gif

I'm a little in love with you right now.

:open_mouth:

hmm cheeks feel very warm all of a sudden
    lol
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    You jog or run round the block only to find yourself tired and going round in circles.

It's the weirdest thing, I run the same circles, but somehow I keep managing to do it faster and more easily. And then I start creating all these wacky goals to challenge myself like beating an earlier time or running even farther. I keep getting stronger and faster, and my clothes keep getting bigger. Then I sign up for races and get to meet all these great people who also run around in circles, and I become friends with them and stuff.

Totally pointless. I should find something better to do with my time.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ....... :| What.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am going to get straight to the point. Exercise, for the sake of it, is pointless.

I have a mind set that will only do something if it has a purpose.

I therefore ask you for suggestions for exercise that has a use. For example I have the following :-
    1) cycling to work - because it saves you money and gives you the freedom.
    2) Taking on an allotment - lots of varied exercise in the form of shifting and digging. You come away with fresh vegetables.

Looking for other ideas.

No, I get it. I find I do MUCH better with a workout if it is something I can incorporate into my day. Biking to work/school for example. Gardening, like you've said. Walking to pick up my kids from school (I used to do it carrying my youngest because of his inability to keep up). Construction projects. Pushing my brother's manual wheelchair.

Just "well, damn, it's time to get on the stationary bike/go to the gym/go for a run" feels like it's time I could be using to work/play with my kids/sleep/do something productive. If a workout can be any of those things and exercise, it's much better (for at least me and the OP).

I don't think their point is that being fit is bad, it's just that workouts-for-workouts'-sake doesn't appeal to them. I get that.
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love to walk!!
    My dogs love to walk.
    I enjoy the scenery and love meeting and socializing with other dog-walkers.
    That's not pointless exercise to me, but beneficial in many ways for all of us!!
    I've lost over 100 lbs. and I'm maintaining my current healthy goal weight.
    I'm also a senior citizen.
    No strain, no pain.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    someone clearly hates being able to do physically demanding things..clearly the OP is lazy. Pathetic to just label the gym as pointless when some people genuinely enjoy pushing their bodies and improving physically as well as mentally.

If you want to know some of the uses I have benefited from building strength and endurance here are a few...

Don't get winded or tired going up stairs
    Can carry a lot of weight without much struggle
    Genuinely feel happier and relaxed

It has a purpose, you're just too blind to see it with your so called "mindset".

Um, no?

I like being able to climb stairs without being winded...so I climb stairs. Pushing one's body to achieve some arbitrary goal isn't this person's thing..they're looking for utilitarian and pragmatic ways to burn calories that aren't "just" going to the gym.

Also, a lot of posters keep saying that they "improve mentally" or "feel more happy and relaxed" working out. That's awesome. Really. Good on you. For some of us, that isn't the case. After getting hit by a car in high school, I've never felt that way about working out again. I've suffered through it (for a sport) and then because I got sick and needed to regain my health, but I'll be damned if I ever intentionally run on my battered knees again. Ever.

Ease up, huh? Some of us really would rather find a way to improve the life we're living, not utterly change everything about ourselves in a pursuit of "pushing their body"...because otherwise people like you will call us lazy.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Pointless?

I walk, to get my heart rate up and feel better.
    I lift, to maintain muscle mass while I'm losing weight.

I don't feel comfortable riding a bicycle to work, as half the route is a narrow, hilly, 2-lane road, and the other half is the main drag through town. Luckily I'm in retail, so I can easily get in 3-5 miles of walking on the job.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy.

Or don't.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Walk places instead of driving. Walk a dog.
    Carry heavy objects from place to place.
    Take the stairs instead of an escalator or elevator.
    Build something big.
    Mow, weed, rake, sweep, mop. Cut up dead trees.
    Enter a competition or race. There might be a prize, raise money for charity, etc.
    Hike or climb somewhere to see beautiful scenery.
    Swim to cool off on a hot day.

I exercise so that I can eat more food, be stronger, be more flexible, manage stress, have fun, be healthier... That really isn't pointless stuff to me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wow, really. Think what you want
    wrong!!!!!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Dafuq did I just read?
    Anyway, I'd rather push my physical limitations whilst relieving stress and getting a fit and leaner body to boot, instead of trying to deal through food like I used to do. Being thin, fit, and generally a happier/ better wife and mother instead of a stressed, mad, lazy, fat one? Yeah, pretty pointless, huh?

Nice try, but your trolling needs some work.