Help please vegetarian and vegans

Options
13»

Replies

• samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and usually hit around 50% carbs (though I'm probably going to have to up this soon, I have three half marathons in May) and I make sure to get enough protein and fats in my diet.

I get my protein from Quest bars, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, edamame (dried and frozen), and beans. I also get protein from Morningstar burgers when I have them, and tofu. I subbed tofu in a recipe for chicken curry and it worked beautifully. Plenty of protein.

I also get my fats from almonds or brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

I never went over my calorie goal of 1200 (except on days where I worked out) and lost weight. I lost even more weight when I got a better food scale (that didn't TURN OFF in the middle of weighing things) and tightened up my logging.

And I also cut down on my fruit intake (I, like many others, felt betrayed by apples and bananas) so now I cut off portions and weigh them so they fit.

I love morningstar but they have gmo which is not healthy
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and usually hit around 50% carbs (though I'm probably going to have to up this soon, I have three half marathons in May) and I make sure to get enough protein and fats in my diet.

I get my protein from Quest bars, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, edamame (dried and frozen), and beans. I also get protein from Morningstar burgers when I have them, and tofu. I subbed tofu in a recipe for chicken curry and it worked beautifully. Plenty of protein.

I also get my fats from almonds or brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds.

I never went over my calorie goal of 1200 (except on days where I worked out) and lost weight. I lost even more weight when I got a better food scale (that didn't TURN OFF in the middle of weighing things) and tightened up my logging.

And I also cut down on my fruit intake (I, like many others, felt betrayed by apples and bananas) so now I cut off portions and weigh them so they fit.

I'm trying to keep my carbs to 50! So all I have to do is cut out all the fruits? And eat cottage cheese and eggs?? Quest bars are really expensive.

Why are you trying to keep your carbs to 50? You haven't been diagnosed yet, and you haven't answered any questions about weighing your food or your logging.

Is English your first language?

Please open your diary.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm trying to keep my carbs to 50! So all I have to do is cut out all the fruits? And eat cottage cheese and eggs?? Quest bars are really expensive.

No. You don't have to do any of that unless you want to. To lose weight, all you have to do is eat at a deficit. You are not doing that now, that is why you aren't losing weight.

If you want help figuring out what is wrong with your logging, simply open your diary.

• samiamorisseau
    Options

Why are you trying to keep your carbs to 50? You haven't been diagnosed yet, and you haven't answered any questions about weighing your food or your logging.

Please open your diary.

So you can see what I'm eating? Ok but how can I post it here? I'm sorry still new to myfitnesspal I really don't know how to use the app very well
  • jessjess6791
    jessjess6791 Posts: 90 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've recently switched to a pescetarian diet. (I eat vegetarian but also eggs and fish. No dairy for me, but some pescetarians do eat diary.)

This is my advice: Eat more healthy fats, like low-sugar peanut butter, olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil, full fat milk, cheese, full fat yogurt, eggs, mayonnaise.

We burn carbohydrates (which are found in breads, beans, condiments and anything with sugar) when we high-energy activities, like running, swimming, jogging, biking, etc. We burn fats when we do low-energy activities, like light cooking, sitting, sleeping, casual walking, etc. You need fats for lower-energy, carbs for high-energy, and protein as your building blocks.

I noticed you complained about how hard it is to get calories into your diet as a vegetarian. That's not necessarily true. Carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fats have 9 calories per gram. Adding fats can increase the calorie deficit you have. Try cooking potatoes in olive oil. Frying an egg in coconut oil. Adding peanut butter to toast.

If you increase your intake of fats, decrease you intake of carbs. Another awesome thing about fats, is that they make you more full even longer than carbs.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hi OP!

If you were really eating 1300 calories a day i think you'd be losing weight.

I'm also a vegetarian, so i know first hand how easy it is to underestimate what you're eating. My advice to you would be to get a food scale!

It's really hard to log fruits and veggies in the database because they are usually a generic size. For example, one banana might be 70 calories and another 150 depending on the size and weight. It's the same with all veggies/fruits. It's SUPER easy if you're not weighing them to overestimate.

Also, as someone with a family history of diabetes i would suggest you lower your carb level. This would mean eating more veggies like:
    Sprouts
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Asparagus
    Greens: kale, mustard greens, collard greens, spinach
    Herbs: parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage
    Bok Choy
    Bamboo shoots
    Celery
    Leeks
    Sea vegetables
    Wax Bean
    Fennel
    Zucchini
    Spaghetti squash
    Green onions
    Snow peas
    Tomatillos
    Artichokes
    Pumpkin
    Rutabaga
    Radishes
    Peppers

Increasing protein and fats. :)

You can do it and good luck!

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Please open your diary.

So you can see what I'm eating? Ok but how can I post it here? I'm sorry still new to myfitnesspal I really don't know how to use the app very well

You don't have to post it on here. :) We can see if from your profile once you unlock your diary.

Click on Food-> Settings-> Diary Sharing
    Click on public and hit save changes.

Then we'll be able to see everything you've logged and give you feedback.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options

You don't have to, but that is just what I've found works for me. There are other sources of protein out there, you just need to do some research. And I agree Quest bars are pricey, but that's a cost I'm willing to pay.

And you still need fruits. I just make sure the fruits I eat fit in my calorie goals. There are also lower sugar fruits like blackberries. It just takes some research.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    ftk89amriurz.jpg
    wtt7hllqv04p.jpg
    h5hgjys8y8ys.jpg

No. You don't have to do any of that unless you want to. To lose weight, all you have to do is eat at a deficit. You are not doing that now, that is why you aren't losing weight.

If you want help figuring out what is wrong with your logging, simply open your diary.

Please open your diary.

This is what I eat earlier today
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hi OP!

I'm also a vegetarian, so i know first hand how easy it is to underestimate what you're eating. My advice to you would be to get a food scale!

It's really hard to log fruits and veggies in the database because they are usually a generic size. For example, one banana might be 70 calories and another 150 depending on the size and weight. It's the same with all veggies/fruits. It's SUPER easy if you're not weighing them to overestimate.

Also, as someone with a family history of diabetes i would suggest you lower your carb level. This would mean eating more veggies like:
    Sprouts
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Asparagus
    Bok Choy
    Bamboo shoots
    Celery
    Leeks
    Sea vegetables
    Wax Bean
    Fennel
    Zucchini
    Spaghetti squash
    Green onions
    Snow peas
    Tomatillos
    Artichokes
    Pumpkin
    Rutabaga
    Radishes
    Peppers

How can I increase my protein? I can't afford a protein shake:( can I eat dark chocolate I heard its healthy
  • jessjess6791
    Options
    Look at your diary. No fats. Please, please know that not all fats make you fat. You cannot survive healthily on only protein and carbohydrates.

How to get more protein in you vegetarian/ vegan diet:
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20718479,00.html
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hi OP!

Sprouts
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Asparagus
    Bok Choy
    Bamboo shoots
    Celery
    Leeks
    Sea vegetables
    Wax Bean
    Fennel
    Zucchini
    Spaghetti squash
    Green onions
    Snow peas
    Tomatillos
    Artichokes
    Pumpkin
    Rutabaga
    Radishes
    Peppers

How can I increase my protein? I can't afford a protein shake:( can I eat dark chocolate I heard its healthy

Eat more eggs, cottage cheese (if you don't like the texture, mix it with fruit and nuts and you won't notice it... promise), Greek yogurt, nut butters, tofu and tempeh.

You've already been told this.

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    Look at your diary. No fats. Please, please know that not all fats make you fat. You cannot survive healthily on only protein and carbohydrates.

How to get more protein in you vegetarian/ vegan diet:
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20718479,00.html

True! Question what happens if I don't get enough proteins??
  • Davidc1961
    Davidc1961 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I smell something a little off here. Troll sweat, perhaps?
  • jessjess6791
    Options
    Here are some warning signs you aren't getting enough protein: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/5-warning-signs/

If you are much older and have kidney damage, it is wise to limit protein intake. If you are young and healthy it is necessary for cell function as enzymes are proteins, (enzymes are incredibly important, but I won't get into it their complete functions in the body, they help build muscle, your immune system, skin, hair, nails, body organs. Also, proteins are broke down into amino acids which help perform so many functions in your body. Overall, they help to make you feel full and keep you healthy. =)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Davidc1961 wrote: »
    I smell something a little off here. Troll sweat, perhaps?

I'm wondering. Too many of the same type threads.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Will you try following the instructions earlier to open your diary? One day is not enough information.