Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Robertus wrote: »
    In the interview posted later he said:
    5. Are you exercising at all during this experiment?

I try to get 60-120 min/week (walking mostly, cycling, lifting). I wanted the focus to be diet, so I have tried not to do too much with exercise.

Seems he did half with diet and half with exercise or other activity. Or perhaps his calculations were off.

I don't think 120 minutes of exercise per week is going to = the extra 800 calorie burn you indicated....
    Of course not. But it is really simple math. How do you account for his weight loss? 800 calorie per day deficit for two months only accounts for half of his weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I try to get 60-120 min/week (walking mostly, cycling, lifting). I wanted the focus to be diet, so I have tried not to do too much with exercise.

Seems he did half with diet and half with exercise or other activity. Or perhaps his calculations were off.

I don't think 120 minutes of exercise per week is going to = the extra 800 calorie burn you indicated....
    Of course not. But it is really simple math. How do you account for his weight loss? 800 calorie per day deficit for two months only accounts for half of his weight loss.

I would assume his maintenance level was higher than he originally estimated so he was eating in a larger deficit...

Or he was not eating as much as he thought and his deficit was higher...

Did he weigh all his foods???

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @sexzystef: I'm not here to split hairs. You said cholesterol WILL go down if you lose weight. You said blood pressure will TYPICALLY go down if you lose weight.

Yes you are so carry on I choose not to (even tho I could) thx B)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/reduce-cholesterol/art-20045935

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    He went from eating 2600 calories per day (his estimated maintenance level) to eating about 1800 calories per day instead. He just so happened to get the majority of those 1800 daily calories from the most junky foods you can think of.

The result? He lost 27lbs in 2 months and reduced his body fat percentage from 33.4% to 24.9%.
    2600 - 1800 = 800 cal/day deficit
    800 cal x 61 days = 48,800 calories
    48,800 / 3,500 calories/pound = 13.9 lbs expected weight loss

Apparently he was exercising about 800 calories per day as well.

Refer to bold in post you quoted.
    I don't see anything bolded in the OP that I quoted.

I should of said bold in my comment to OP you quoted. The OP said that he estimated his TDEE. Also never said that he changed his calorie intake as he dropped weight which is interesting. My guess is what is his LBM stats to be that far off estimated TDEE calculators?
  • TheGetFitGal
    TheGetFitGal Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So basically i can have healthy food in my calorie count but throw in a junk food once in a while so i can still stay on the low calorie intake but not give up on it cause my food craving are getting satisfied oncein a while ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So basically i can have healthy food in my calorie count but throw in a junk food once in a while so i can still stay on the low calorie intake but not give up on it cause my food craving are getting satisfied oncein a while ;)

Yes....
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes....

x2...

look at my diary if you want...I eat chocolate every night as my treat...when I was on maintenance I drank a Tim's coffee everyday as well.

Love my KFC hotwings too.

• TheGetFitGal
    TheGetFitGal Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ndj u eat meals fit for a king lol wish i could :/

Yes....

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Now I want to see the reverse: someone gaining weight on lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and veggies. (Not because I don't believe it's possible, but because a lot of other people have their doubts.) I know I could easily put down a 1,000 calorie meal with something like steak fajitas and refried beans with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. It's all good stuff, but too much is too much! ;)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Now I want to see the reverse: someone gaining weight on lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and veggies. (Not because I don't believe it's possible, but because a lot of other people have their doubts.) I know I could easily put down a 1,000 calorie meal with something like steak fajitas and refried beans with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. It's all good stuff, but too much is too much! ;)

that would be easy to show...just go to someone bulking or me on vacation... :p

• Robertus
    Options

I would assume his maintenance level was higher than he originally estimated so he was eating in a larger deficit...

That's why I said that his calculations may have been off. Kind of embarrassing for a professor of nutrition.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Ndj u eat meals fit for a king lol wish i could :/

Yes....

Last three days I have been up in Boston , so please disregard :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Also here is an award for this thread...

Sv4ecHx.jpg

Unfortunately, it is not dead. I see threads on here all the time with people focused on giving up sugars, carbs etc. People still do not get that it is CICO
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, why is any of this surprising? It's what MFP is all about.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    It's not surprising to EVERYONE, just the constant "butbutbut....he can't be HEEEEEALTHY" crowd, coupled with the "CICO doesn't apply to EVERYONE, I'm a snowflake, fluttering in the sky, never hitting the ground because gravity doesn't apply to me either!"

Dude went to an extreme for a finite period of time to underline the point that the clean eaters and the majoring-in-the-minors folks keep missing. You are not poisoning yourself if you eat a snack cake or bag of chips occasionally.

It does seem like it's stating the obvious, but hey, it gets media attention, and these articles are merely a drop in the bucket compared to all the ones screaming THE MIRACLE FOOD/HIDDEN DANGER THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT!!!!
  • Robertus
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

That's why I said that his calculations may have been off. Kind of embarrassing for a professor of nutrition.

Not really. BMR and TDEE are generalised figures based on best fit modelling and assumption. Good indicators, but you would expect significant variance between similar individuals.
    Seriously? If you were a professor of nutrition and miscalculated your TDEE by 800 calories per day in a publication, you would not be embarrassed?

• Robertus
    Options
    He went from eating 2600 calories per day (his estimated maintenance level) to eating about 1800 calories per day instead. He just so happened to get the majority of those 1800 daily calories from the most junky foods you can think of.

The result? He lost 27lbs in 2 months and reduced his body fat percentage from 33.4% to 24.9%.
    2600 - 1800 = 800 cal/day deficit
    800 cal x 61 days = 48,800 calories
    48,800 / 3,500 calories/pound = 13.9 lbs expected weight loss

Apparently he was exercising about 800 calories per day as well.

Refer to bold in post you quoted.
    I don't see anything bolded in the OP that I quoted.

I should of said bold in my comment to OP you quoted. The OP said that he estimated his TDEE. Also never said that he changed his calorie intake as he dropped weight which is interesting. My guess is what is his LBM stats to be that far off estimated TDEE calculators?
    He may also have (subconsciously) increased his activity level, riding his bike instead of driving, taking the stairs instead of an elevator, walking more, walking faster, etc.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    It's not surprising to EVERYONE, just the constant "butbutbut....he can't be HEEEEEALTHY" crowd, coupled with the "CICO doesn't apply to EVERYONE, I'm a snowflake, fluttering in the sky, never hitting the ground because gravity doesn't apply to me either!"

Dude went to an extreme for a finite period of time to underline the point that the clean eaters and the majoring-in-the-minors folks keep missing. You are not poisoning yourself if you eat a snack cake or bag of chips occasionally.

It does seem like it's stating the obvious, but hey, it gets media attention, and these articles are merely a drop in the bucket compared to all the ones screaming THE MIRACLE FOOD/HIDDEN DANGER THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT!!!!

The hidden danger is scorpions, isn't it? My girlfriend found a scorpion in her car this weekend. :indifferent:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

The hidden danger is scorpions, isn't it? My girlfriend found a scorpion in her car this weekend. :indifferent:

WHAT THE HELL, NOW I'M AFRAID OF SCORPIONS!!!!

Of course, I am still under a layer of snow, so scorpions are probably not a big factor in my life.

But, ~shudder~ scorpion.

This is what makes winters like this one worthwhile -- warm climate bugs and spiders. I'LL TAKE MY SCORPION-KILLING SNOW, THANKS.

• edstreiff
    edstreiff Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if his basal metabolic rate estimate was wrong, on this site it tells me I need to consume 2,200 calories to lose 2lbs a week its just not right, not even close. I had my basal metabolic rate determined by my doctors during a sleep study, they measure your carbon dioxide levels and O2 levels after you have fasted for 12 hours and have slept for 8, the real figure for me anyway was that I need to consume is 1,800 a day to lose 2lbs a week, the difference is nearly 400 calories so if I had followed the recommendations of this site which is just an estimate I pretty much would have gone to maintenance mode on my weight.

Just food for thought