Surprising weight loss article!

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    edstreiff wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if his basal metabolic rate estimate was wrong, on this site it tells me I need to consume 2,200 calories to lose 2lbs a week its just not right, not even close. I had my basal metabolic rate determined by my doctors during a sleep study, they measure your carbon dioxide levels and O2 levels after you have fasted for 12 hours and have slept for 8, the real figure for me anyway was that I need to consume is 1,800 a day to lose 2lbs a week, the difference is nearly 400 calories so if I had followed the recommendations of this site which is just an estimate I pretty much would have gone to maintenance mode on my weight.

Just food for thought
    1800 pounds for 2 Lb per week loss. 400 calories increase per day sends you into maintenance? No it would not.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Robertus wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    In the interview posted later he said:
    5. Are you exercising at all during this experiment?

I try to get 60-120 min/week (walking mostly, cycling, lifting). I wanted the focus to be diet, so I have tried not to do too much with exercise.

Seems he did half with diet and half with exercise or other activity. Or perhaps his calculations were off.

I don't think 120 minutes of exercise per week is going to = the extra 800 calorie burn you indicated....
    Of course not. But it is really simple math. How do you account for his weight loss? 800 calorie per day deficit for two months only accounts for half of his weight loss.

I would assume his maintenance level was higher than he originally estimated so he was eating in a larger deficit...

Or he was not eating as much as he thought and his deficit was higher...

Did he weigh all his foods???

That's why I said that his calculations may have been off. Kind of embarrassing for a professor of nutrition.

Not really. BMR and TDEE are generalised figures based on best fit modelling and assumption. Good indicators, but you would expect significant variance between similar individuals.
    Seriously? If you were a professor of nutrition and miscalculated your TDEE by 800 calories per day in a publication, you would not be embarrassed?

I wouldn't if my intention was to show that nutrient composition was largely irrelevant in weight loss.

Does his paper state methods and assumptions? Is there a paper?
    But if he had miscalculated by this much in the other direction, his two-month ordeal would not have demonstrated any weight loss at all and he would have 'proven' that junk food prevented weight loss at an 800-calorie/day deficit. Personally, if I were a professor of nutrition and wanted to demonstrate something by such an experiment on myself over two months, I would want to have given this a little more thought.

I have no idea where this unblinded n=1 study was first published.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Now I want to see the reverse: someone gaining weight on lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and veggies. (Not because I don't believe it's possible, but because a lot of other people have their doubts.) I know I could easily put down a 1,000 calorie meal with something like steak fajitas and refried beans with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. It's all good stuff, but too much is too much! ;)

I did! I don't have evidence of logging it here, because it was several years ago (before I became a vegetarian), but I low carbed for years.

During that time, I lost weight to a certain point, maintained that weight for a while, became pregnant, nursed the baby, continued eating low carb the whole time .... lost the pregnancy weight. Then, life happened. Stress happened. And my emotional eating happened. I was still eating low carb. I never cheated with carby foods... I just ate. A lot. I gained weight.

Quite a lot of it.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's easier to assume he lied about his exercise to that extent (that's a LOT of hard exercise, and he doesn't look like he exercises hard) rather than to assume his tracking wasn't quite on point.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't get why it's easier to assume he lied about his exercise to that extent (that's a LOT of hard exercise, and he doesn't look like he exercises hard) rather than to assume his tracking wasn't quite on point.
    I do not assume he lied. There are a variety of ways his calculations could have been off. Still, for a professor of nutrition to be off by that much (100%) in his calculations is somewhat embarrassing; at least it would be to me.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Now I want to see the reverse: someone gaining weight on lean proteins, whole grains, and fruits and veggies. (Not because I don't believe it's possible, but because a lot of other people have their doubts.) I know I could easily put down a 1,000 calorie meal with something like steak fajitas and refried beans with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. It's all good stuff, but too much is too much! ;)

That was me when I was at least 150 lb overweight. If you take a look at my diary that's almost exactly how I ate when I was 300+ pounds except my portions were much larger, the amount of olive oil was almost unspeakable, and 3 cups of rice was a normal portion. I have regulated my portions, replaced quite a bit of olive oil calories with fish and poultry (I ate them like once every couple of months), and truncated the rest.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Go to any Crossfit gym (they tend to be big on Paleo and "Clean" eating at my local box, anyway) and ask how many people have gone on a bulk? I guarantee you you can find plenty of people gaining weight by "eating clean."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    He went from eating 2600 calories per day (his estimated maintenance level) to eating about 1800 calories per day instead. He just so happened to get the majority of those 1800 daily calories from the most junky foods you can think of.

The result? He lost 27lbs in 2 months and reduced his body fat percentage from 33.4% to 24.9%.
    2600 - 1800 = 800 cal/day deficit
    800 cal x 61 days = 48,800 calories
    48,800 / 3,500 calories/pound = 13.9 lbs expected weight loss

Apparently he was exercising about 800 calories per day as well.

Refer to bold in post you quoted.
    I don't see anything bolded in the OP that I quoted.

I should of said bold in my comment to OP you quoted. The OP said that he estimated his TDEE. Also never said that he changed his calorie intake as he dropped weight which is interesting. My guess is what is his LBM stats to be that far off estimated TDEE calculators?

Another variable could be water weight form glycogen depletion, water weight from reduction in sodium and waste in the bowels. It's not always a straight mathematical equation.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    This is not at all surprising to anyone who knows how to use their brain.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thats means i can eat junk food?

Totally. CICO.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    CICO isn't true if you have a metabolic syndrome. In the case of MS your body processes sugars and carbs totally differently than someone without MS. Probably this guy didn't have MS and so CICO works for him, but everyone's body works in a unique fashion. This case only proved it worked for him.

Someone doesn't really understand "deficit", do they ?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options

Yes, but for health and satiety I wouldn't recommend getting most of your calories from "junk" foods. I'd recommend a balanced diet with appropriate macros that is based on mostly whole foods and includes more indulgent foods in moderation.
    THIS. A misconception about people who eat in moderation is that ALL our food is junk, when the reality is the MAJORITY of our food is usually nutrient dense..................and then we eat junk to fill out left over calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do not assume he lied. There are a variety of ways his calculations could have been off. Still, for a professor of nutrition to be off by that much (100%) in his calculations is somewhat embarrassing; at least it would be to me.

I think it's safe to assume that he lost a bunch of water weight at first, which is what messed up the numbers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    CICO isn't true if you have a metabolic syndrome. In the case of MS your body processes sugars and carbs totally differently than someone without MS. Probably this guy didn't have MS and so CICO works for him, but everyone's body works in a unique fashion. This case only proved it worked for him.
    CICO works for EVERYONE. The rate may be different, but CICO isn't dysfunctional just because someone has metabolic syndrome.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    only on MFP would this turn into a debate about his TDEE numbers being off. .

he ate less then he burned and part of that consumption was twinkies..

CICO applies to all

end thread/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

It means you can eat what you want and you will lose weight ...however, you should be incorporating nutrient dense foods into your intake and making sure you hit macros and micros...

Actually you should be eating mostly nutrient dense foods and incorporating treats as they fit.

If we're really talking about what's best.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Given the premise, yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    only on MFP would this turn into a debate about his TDEE numbers being off. .

he ate less then he burned and part of that consumption was twinkies..

CICO applies to all

end thread/

That's a tad reductionist.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

It means you can eat what you want and you will lose weight ...however, you should be incorporating nutrient dense foods into your intake and making sure you hit macros and micros...

Actually you should be eating mostly nutrient dense foods and incorporating treats as they fit.

If we're really talking about what's best.

that is essentially what I said…

but nitpick away ….

hit micros = eating nutrient dense foods
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote:

Of course not. But it is really simple math. How do you account for his weight loss? 800 calorie per day deficit for two months only accounts for half of his weight loss.

That's why I said that his calculations may have been off. Kind of embarrassing for a professor of nutrition.

You do realize that the "3500 calories = 1 pound of fat" is a loose guesstimate at best, right? It's a rule of thumb that is based on the idea that weight loss is 100% adipose tissue (which, while ideal, isn't what happens in real life).

It's obvious that putting yourself in a calorie deficit will lead to weight loss, but it isn't so cut and dry as most people on this board tend to suggest. Even this "study" is a poor example. It's one person doing this, without a control group.