The cost of getting lean: Is it really worth the trade-off?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I think I struggle with the statements surrounding the WOMEN 16-19% category (which is where I think I fall into).

In particular - Tradeoffs:
    - may struggle in social situations, especially those involving food
    - May not have time for social opportunities outside of exercise
    - May have to give up other hobbies and interests outside of fitness

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    The only listed benefit is - May feel pride at achieving an athletic goal
    but the tradeoffs are:
    - will have difficulty socializing in most typical situations where food is involved
    - may lose out of fun events with family and friends
    - big time commitment to measure and weigh and track all foods
    - hyper focus on diet and exercise may contribute to disordered eating
    - time require for exercise. May crowd out all other pursuits and interests.

MY COMMENTS:
    These statements make it seem like in order to be lean, you need to give up your entire life and be just a gym junkie. And it seems like it promotes others into thinking that if you are lean, that MUST be what your life is like.

But it's not.
    Yes, I have visible abs, and visible muscles, and lower body fat. But I am also an active mom, who eats WELL at family gatherings (and most other times). I enjoy probably way too many processed foods, and eat a fair bit of junk food too. I do NOT spend my life in the gym. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, and maybe I'm blessed with some sort of crazy genetics, but it feels like it's implying to others that my body is the only thing I care about.

I want people to know that, in my case, I am able to be a good mother, and have a healthy relationship with food. I do not exercise 45-60 minutes daily, but I am very active with my kids.

I guess I just don't think it's being balanced enough to those with lower body fats.

I think your ability to maintain the level of body-fat that you currently maintain is very atypical and not representative of the what the vast majority of females would be capable of doing without significant restrictions on their food habits and social life.

And I don't say that in any way to take away from the hard work you have put in, and continue to put in on a regular basis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    edited April 2015
    What's not mentioned in here is PED's. Yeah, I know they are trying to avoid discussion and that we'd all love to BELIEVE everyone on a Fitness magazine or cover is "clean", but that's more than likely NOT the case.
    My 2 cents: staying lean for me when I competed was tough, especially socially. You can visibly see when water retention or even that small gain in fat blurred out your lines, so I abstained from a lot of hanging out with friends due to that fact that all they wanted to do was party (as all of us really want to do at some point in our lives). I did have to pay much more attention to what I consumed and the gym was practically my home. If people were looking for me, home wasn't the first place they checked. So yes, from experience and just based on how much difference there is in energy storage versus energy release by the body, it does take much more effort to stay lean, along with more planning and how your behavior may change (not in personality, but socially).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Interesting article.

"The super-lean” stage is only a temporary stage, at least for people I know.
    It is not sustainable.

I've known people entering (and briefly maintaining at this stage) for things like body building contests and pre-fight weigh ins (for wrestlers and fighters)
    But these athletes don't intend to stay at this stage longer than necessary (the bodybuilding show or the weigh in) It is grueling physically *and* mentally.
    I don't think it is a long term goal for most people. It shouldn't be, in my opinion.

Regarding the effort that it takes to stay at each stage: I disagree that there's a clear cut amount of effort that applies to everybody. For example, once I get into the lean stage, I can slack more than most people I know and stay at that level.

And 10 years ago, it took me virtually no effort at all to be at the lean stage. That was just where my body would naturally gravitate towards.
    And I've had friend's that made much more efforts with eating and working out and were barely staying out of the overweight stage.

A good point that this article makes is that what is truly important is: What does the payoff mean to YOU?

To *me* there's no payoff that would be worth going into the super-lean stage.

For some athletes, like fighters, their life and livelihood depend on being at their peak physical shape. (To be able to recover etc...) And they workout for hours a day because that's their job.
    It's not easy, but they do it anyway.

I am not willing to make all those sacrifices.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think I struggle with the statements surrounding the WOMEN 16-19% category (which is where I think I fall into).

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:
    - will have difficulty socializing in most typical situations where food is involved

MY COMMENTS:
    These statements make it seem like in order to be lean, you need to give up your entire life and be just a gym junkie. And it seems like it promotes others into thinking that if you are lean, that MUST be what your life is like.

But it's not.
    Yes, I have visible abs, and visible muscles, and lower body fat. But I am also an active mom, who eats WELL at family gatherings (and most other times). I enjoy probably way too many processed foods, and eat a fair bit of junk food too. I do NOT spend my life in the gym. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, and maybe I'm blessed with some sort of crazy genetics, but it feels like it's implying to others that my body is the only thing I care about.

I want people to know that, in my case, I am able to be a good mother, and have a healthy relationship with food. I do not exercise 45-60 minutes daily, but I am very active with my kids.

I guess I just don't think it's being balanced enough to those with lower body fats.

I think your ability to maintain the level of body-fat that you currently maintain is very atypical and not representative of the what the vast majority of females would be capable of doing without significant restrictions on their food habits and social life.

And I don't say that in any way to take away from the hard work you have put in, and continue to put in on a regular basis.

I think that maybe this is what I need to hear. Thank you. :flowerforyou:

• SideSteel
    As far as the assumptions though, again that's really something I'd fault PN with as a whole and it's one of the bigger issues I take with their articles. They make too many matter-of-fact statements that don't seem to apply context.

Because of this they end up potentially saying some misleading stuff, IMO.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Also in the Do More / Do less sections... again it talks about this rigid requirement for eating, crazy exercise, and sleep... you can't eat to satisfaction levels, you have to be exact about your proteins and all that stuff, you need to exercise at least an hour a day...

People need to know that maybe some people need to do that to achieve visible abs, or a lean look... but not everybody.

I don't want people to look at me and go... oh well... she must sacrifice her quality time with her family and kids, and be a disordered eater in order to have a body like that... because really, that's bulldung.

That's really cool that you've found that balance, but most of the people I know who have extra low body fat do fit a lot of their descriptions for those trade offs. They spend hours planning meals, and checking supplements, and planning workouts, and never come out for a drink after work, and if they do come out for a drink they spend the whole time looking at the menu and frowning. If they do order food then the orders are hilariously fussy, asking for their food to be cooked without anything the restaurant usually uses, and asking for off-menu items in its place.

That doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them really focused- I admire their dedication, even if I couldn't do all that. Everyone is different I guess.

I'm going to echo that, too. Having at one point been a "real" athlete and exceptionally fit, I also have to acknowledge that yeah, being that fit was pretty much a full time job and it impacted *every* aspect of my life.

Thought the article was pretty good, overall.
  • SideSteel
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's not mentioned in here is PED's. Yeah, I know they are trying to avoid discussion and that we'd all love to BELIEVE everyone on a Fitness magazine or cover is "clean", but that's more than likely NOT the case.
    My 2 cents: staying lean for me when I competed was tough, especially socially. You can visibly see when water retention or even that small gain in fat blurred out your lines, so I abstained from a lot of hanging out with friends due to that fact that all they wanted to do was party (as all of us really want to do at some point in our lives). I did have to pay much more attention to what I consumed and the gym was practically my home. If people were looking for me, home wasn't the first place they checked. So yes, from experience and just based on how much difference there is in energy storage versus energy release by the body, it does take much more effort to stay lean, along with more planning and how your behavior may change (not in personality, but socially).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's a great point regarding drugs.
  • MireyGal76
    fwiw... I'm certainly not using any PEDs... unless coffee counts. LOL

Also.. I'd totally love to offer my body up for science, because I'd love to know what makes me so "unique". haha
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member

Also.. I'd totally love to offer my body up for science, because I'd love to know what makes me so "unique". haha

I'm sure a lot of people would like it if the scientists could figure it out, bottle it and sell it for the masses.

I am nowhere near as in shape as you, maybe in the 20-23% bf range, but I also thought it the article put a lot of strange emphasis on how much your social life will suffer especially regarding food. I would say it depends on what your social life entails and I have seen some people with pretty rocking bodies on here eating plenty of food. If you are trying to get there by diet alone, then yeah, good luck with that.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member

Just for kicks, you should record yourself (like with a camera) and note what you do for a week trying not to be conscious that you're recording yourself.
    I did this for a couple of days one time because people were saying I was talking a bit harsh to my DD when she was younger and I was a new dad.
    After watching myself, I was really appalled at how I actually spoke AT HER and not to her. Sometimes we don't see ourselves in the whole picture. Lol, a last recording of myself was by my DW and how much I ranted while driving (at other drivers) on the 7 mile commute to the gym. It would have been easily R rated for profanity.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• MireyGal76
    BFDeal wrote: »

Full disclosure, not lean now, never been lean, probably won't ever be really lean (shooting for 15ish %). That said, the article makes a lot of generalizations. Some of the points seem generally true but others seem like more of a reach. In the end it comes down to individual circumstances. You say you don't work out 45 minutes a day but are very active. Some days you eat roughly 1000 calories more than me but maintain your six pack (did a diary check). Me? I sit at a desk all day for work. Sure, I lift 4-5 days a week but what does it take to get the scale to inch down at .5-.75lbs a week (at 5'11" 230lbs 28% body fat no less)? 1800 calories a day. As everyone has said to me, your reality is not everyone elses. Count yourself lucky you're in the situation you are. Some of us are really struggling even though it feels like we're working just as hard. For my part I see myself doing the same things others do and getting less of a result and it feels like crap. Sorry you're having such an easy time being fit.

I hear your frustration, and I get that. I'm sorry that it is a struggle for some, and appears to be less of a struggle for others.

I may eat roughly more than 1000 calories than you.. but one of the big things is that I'm at maintenance now, which I figure is somewhere around 2200 cals. (I am 6'1", 165lbs). So when I exercise, because I'm not trying to lose weight (and am actually looking at wanting to gain a little more muscle), I eat back ALL my calories.

I was not complaining (as your point in bold seems to say) that I am having an easy time being fit. My comments were more tailored towards trying to make sure that others know that just because they see someone with visible abs, doesn't mean that they necessarily do all those things that the article says they do. I have too many female acquaintances who seem to think that in order to have abs, I must be sacrificing my children - and that is not the case.

But - I DO go to the park with my kids and we play tag, and badminton, and run around like crazy. I carry both of them around my back and run around the yard (and they're both over 60lbs each). I take them swimming and throw them around in the pool, or swim underwater with them on my back... I play with them very actively. I also have a two storey home with a big yard that I maintain myself, and live in the great white north, without a snowblower - so I shovel (some years a helluva lot). So while I don't hit the gym for hours every day, I am also not sitting on the couch eating bon bons all day long, rubbing my six pack and laughing at all the women doing the 30 day shred.

I do work for the body I have, I'm not saying I don't. All I am saying is that it's not at the expense of my time (or the quality thereof) with family and friends.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

But it's not.

I think you're taking it too personal. I clicked on the link fully prepared to hate the article....and then found it refreshingly fair, accurate, and balanced. I agreed with almost every point the author made, especially about how both consumers and the fitness industry try not to shine a bright light on what's really involved in getting to the next level.

I'm trying not to go all psychoanalysis cop, but I think you might be taking the article as some form of personal accusation that you may be sacrificing too much or that you should feel guilty about the NotFitness life opportunities you may be missing. Like it's pointing a finger and saying "you have abs so you must not be having any fun! Instead of all that working out you should be mothering your kids! "

I don't think that's the case at all. Not in the slightest. Many people can find that sweet spot where they balance career, family, and personal pursuits. From what I've seen of you on this site I believe you're one of them. Giving up a slice of pizza isn't giving up on life just like leaving my kids with a sitter while I go to the gym isn't abandoning them.
  • MireyGal76
    DavPul wrote: »

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

But it's not.

I think you're taking it too personal. I clicked on the link fully prepared to hate the article....and then found it refreshingly fair, accurate, and balanced. I agreed with almost every point the author made, especially about how both consumers and the fitness industry try not to shine a bright light on what's really involved in getting to the next level.

I'm trying not to go all psychoanalysis cop, but I think you might be taking the article as some form of personal accusation that you may be sacrificing too much or that you should feel guilty about the NotFitness life opportunities you may be missing. Like it's pointing a finger and saying "you have abs so you must not be having any fun! Instead of all that working out you should be mothering your kids! "

I don't think that's the case at all. Not in the slightest. Many people can find that sweet spot where they balance career, family, and personal pursuits. From what I've seen of you on this site I believe you're one of them. Giving up a slice of pizza isn't giving up on life just like leaving my kids with a sitter while I go to the gym isn't abandoning them.

It's very possible, that I am reacting to this way to personally. It probably didn't hurt that I came across it on FB with one of the mothers of my daughter's friends shaking her head as she posted it, cluck clucking at the lengths of sacrifice that women go to in order to look that way.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    worthwhile read; thanks for the link OP.
  • MireyGal76
    edited April 2015
    I do work for the body I have, I'm not saying I don't. All I am saying is that it's not at the expense of my time (or the quality thereof) with family and friends.
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I work in IT - I am at a desk 8 hours a day, and commute an extra 1.5 hours a day on top of it
    On average, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep
    After I get the kids to bed (because I'm a single parent), I am usually on my feet working until about 11:30pm getting the house tidied up and lunches made for the next day.
    On the days when the kids are with their dad, that's when I squeeze in a workout, though I'm starting to try and get a little bit of a workout in when I let the girls play their weekend allotment of Minecraft (after they've done their chores)

*eta to fix "in bed" to read "with their dad" - sorry, had insomnia and all I can think of is sleep
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

But it's not.

It's very possible, that I am reacting to this way to personally. It probably didn't hurt that I came across it on FB with one of the mothers of my daughter's friends shaking her head as she posted it, cluck clucking at the lengths of sacrifice that women go to in order to look that way.

Oh dear. All you can do is keep on rockin'.....

:drinker:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

But it's not.

Whatevs for anything ever on FB. And people in general find a way to look down their nose at anyone that's different from them. Doesn't even matter which direction. Use heroin? You're terrible because you're a drug addict. Don't drink? You're terrible because you're no fun/religious/uppity.

They don't know your life. And one person's sacrifice/struggle is another person's easy peasy. It takes almost no effort for me to get stronger, but it's a mind bending act of will for me to put the pizza down. others struggle to get stronger, but it's the easiest thing in the world for them to say no to oreos. We'll each have to work really hard to achieve our goal, me to budget my calories and them to work harder in the gym. Different struggle is different, but it's still damned hard work.

But then there's that third type, that doesn't actually try to achieve anything beyond ordinary, but is quick to make a derogatory comment or post about those that do. I can't even hear those people.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    I think the article makes some pretty big generalizations. I have been lean and I have been fat. The fat part took no effort. Losing the first 10 pounds was actually more of a struggle than losing the last 10. It took more effort to get started than it did to make the small adjustments to get very lean.

I did take some issue with what they said about the costs of being lean. I think I probably just found it more offensive than others because it suggests that our quality of life is lower and we give up so much just to be lean. They don't take into account that the gym isn't "punishment" or a burden and often the gym is our hobby or main interest. The gym is where I relax and find peace/balance for my life. When it comes to eating I feel more balanced when I meal prep and plan ahead. I don't obsess over being perfect or eating clean, so there is no disordered eating on my end (the assumptions of how we eat is off the wall ridiculous and highly offensive).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I work in IT - I am at a desk 8 hours a day, and commute an extra 1.5 hours a day on top of it
    After I get the kids to bed (because I'm a single parent), I am usually on my feet working until about 11:30pm getting the house tidied up and lunches made for the next day.
    On the days when the kids are in with their dad, that's when I squeeze in a workout, though I'm starting to try and get a little bit of a workout in when I let the girls play their weekend allotment of Minecraft (after they've done their chores)

*eta to fix "in bed" to read "with their dad" - sorry, had insomnia and all I can think of is sleep

I do sleep more. 8 hours usually. I don't know where the discrepancy is then other than that. You see this a lot with fit people to. The same way some overestimate their activity others maybe under estimate it. Whatever it is it's the thing I've asked people to try to explain to me on multiple occasions but no one can come up with a logical answer. I really do feel like I'm doing the same things most people swear they're doing only they're getting better results. As usual it simply doesn't make sense. I see all these people swearing they don't work out that much who are ripped and I have to wonder what they're actually doing different than me then. Anyone? Explanations?

Did you go to the doctor yet like you've been told countless times in numerous threads?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

On the days when the kids are in with their dad, that's when I squeeze in a workout, though I'm starting to try and get a little bit of a workout in when I let the girls play their weekend allotment of Minecraft (after they've done their chores)

I do sleep more. 8 hours usually. I don't know where the discrepancy is then other than that. You see this a lot with fit people to. The same way some overestimate their activity others maybe under estimate it. Whatever it is it's the thing I've asked people to try to explain to me on multiple occasions but no one can come up with a logical answer. I really do feel like I'm doing the same things most people swear they're doing only they're getting better results. As usual it simply doesn't make sense. I see all these people swearing they don't work out that much who are ripped and I have to wonder what they're actually doing different than me then. Anyone? Explanations?

Did you go to the doctor yet like you've been told countless times in numerous threads?

^This. You ask the same questions over and over, but you don't seem to want to take the major suggestion that could get to the bottom of it. See your doctor. Get blood work done. Stop hijacking threads.