The cost of getting lean: Is it really worth the trade-off?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    BFDeal wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I do work for the body I have, I'm not saying I don't. All I am saying is that it's not at the expense of my time (or the quality thereof) with family and friends.
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone very fit who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I dunno, kinda feels like you're making excuses or pointing fingers or.....something.

There are very fit people that work sedentary jobs. Just like there are fat day laborers.

"I eat all the foods" doesn't mean the person eats them all day long, every day of the week. Example: Here's my lunch from yesterday.
    3nz0nkkrvi4y.jpg

Monster calorie bomb, but my breakfast and dinner were extremely light.

I don't believe the OP was complaining about how easy it is for her to be fit-because it's not. She works hard as hell for hers.

It's not a sacrifice for some people. It's a sacrifice for ALL people. Just different. Or not different. Some people just don't whine the way I do when they can't eat an entire pizza. Just because someone isn't putting in the same exact effort as you doesn't mean they aren't putting in the same level (or greater) of effort
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I do work for the body I have, I'm not saying I don't. All I am saying is that it's not at the expense of my time (or the quality thereof) with family and friends.
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I work in IT - I am at a desk 8 hours a day, and commute an extra 1.5 hours a day on top of it
    On average, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep
    After I get the kids to bed (because I'm a single parent), I am usually on my feet working until about 11:30pm getting the house tidied up and lunches made for the next day.
    On the days when the kids are in with their dad, that's when I squeeze in a workout, though I'm starting to try and get a little bit of a workout in when I let the girls play their weekend allotment of Minecraft (after they've done their chores)

*eta to fix "in bed" to read "with their dad" - sorry, had insomnia and all I can think of is sleep

I do sleep more. 8 hours usually. I don't know where the discrepancy is then other than that. You see this a lot with fit people to. The same way some overestimate their activity others maybe under estimate it. Whatever it is it's the thing I've asked people to try to explain to me on multiple occasions but no one can come up with a logical answer. I really do feel like I'm doing the same things most people swear they're doing only they're getting better results. As usual it simply doesn't make sense. I see all these people swearing they don't work out that much who are ripped and I have to wonder what they're actually doing different than me then. Anyone? Explanations?

We don't all have the same levels of all relevant hormones or the same receptor sensitivities to those hormones. So it's only realistic to expect variation in results between people whose efforts/activities are identical.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    [/quote]

Whatevs for anything ever on FB. And people in general find a way to look down their nose at anyone that's different from them. Doesn't even matter which direction. Use heroin? You're terrible because you're a drug addict. Don't drink? You're terrible because you're no fun/religious/uppity.

They don't know your life. And one person's sacrifice/struggle is another person's easy peasy. It takes almost no effort for me to get stronger, but it's a mind bending act of will for me to put the pizza down. others struggle to get stronger, but it's the easiest thing in the world for them to say no to oreos. We'll each have to work really hard to achieve our goal, me to budget my calories and them to work harder in the gym. Different struggle is different, but it's still damned hard work.

But then there's that third type, that doesn't actually try to achieve anything beyond ordinary, but is quick to make a derogatory comment or post about those that do. I can't even hear those people. [/quote]

Words of wisdom here.

All I have to add is:
    Some people suck. But don't let their negativity become your burden.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think the article makes some pretty big generalizations. I have been lean and I have been fat. The fat part took no effort. Losing the first 10 pounds was actually more of a struggle than losing the last 10. It took more effort to get started than it did to make the small adjustments to get very lean.

I did take some issue with what they said about the costs of being lean. I think I probably just found it more offensive than others because it suggests that our quality of life is lower and we give up so much just to be lean. They don't take into account that the gym isn't "punishment" or a burden and often the gym is our hobby or main interest. The gym is where I relax and find peace/balance for my life. When it comes to eating I feel more balanced when I meal prep and plan ahead. I don't obsess over being perfect or eating clean, so there is no disordered eating on my end (the assumptions of how we eat is off the wall ridiculous and highly offensive).

I felt the article had a similar...umm...bias (soft bias, but bias, nonetheless). The whopping 45 minutes I spend working out daily is no burden whatsoever. I enjoy it, and it doesn't interfere with my family/work life balance. I very well could spend that 45 minutes doing my hair, coordinating my outfit, applying makeup, etc.--the lovely things that bring other women joy/relaxation and make them well put-together people. But I find those things tortuous and burdensome. So I do not do that (to that extent)--and I don't complain or write a blog describing the burden of the responsibility of a well-dressed woman simply because I don't want to/can't be like that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I think the article makes some pretty big generalizations. I have been lean and I have been fat. The fat part took no effort. Losing the first 10 pounds was actually more of a struggle than losing the last 10. It took more effort to get started than it did to make the small adjustments to get very lean.

I did take some issue with what they said about the costs of being lean. I think I probably just found it more offensive than others because it suggests that our quality of life is lower and we give up so much just to be lean. They don't take into account that the gym isn't "punishment" or a burden and often the gym is our hobby or main interest. The gym is where I relax and find peace/balance for my life. When it comes to eating I feel more balanced when I meal prep and plan ahead. I don't obsess over being perfect or eating clean, so there is no disordered eating on my end (the assumptions of how we eat is off the wall ridiculous and highly offensive).
    I think you missed all the qualifiers in their statements, and they were everywhere. Pretty much everything was prefaced with "may" or "might."

I didn't see gym/exercise being painted as punishment. It said that may crowd out other interests/pursuits. So if anything it painted it as an interest or pursuit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    DavPul wrote: »
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone very fit who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I dunno, kinda feels like you're making excuses or pointing fingers or.....something.

There are very fit people that work sedentary jobs. Just like there are fat day laborers.

"I eat all the foods" doesn't mean the person eats them all day long, every day of the week. Example: Here's my lunch from yesterday.
    3nz0nkkrvi4y.jpg

I don't believe the OP was complaining about how easy it is for her to be fit-because it's not. She works hard as hell for hers.

It's not a sacrifice for some people. It's a sacrifice for ALL people. Just different. Or not different. Some people just don't whine the way I do when they can't eat an entire pizza. Just because someone isn't putting in the same exact effort as you doesn't mean they aren't putting in the same level (or greater) of effort
    How is it making excuses? I do the work. I weigh and measure my food and I put in 4-5 days a week lifting. That's the point I'm making. I'm saying some of us do the same work and don't get the same result. The OP is basically complaining about how it's so easy for her but others think it's difficult. I'm saying for me it is difficult for some. That's not an excuse. It's a reality. Your response also points out the big divide on how less-fit and very fit people are viewed. If i vent on how tough it is for me to make progress then I'm lazy or making excuses. If someone very fit vents about, of all things, how easy she has it she gets a pat on the back basically.

nevermind... not going to participate in another hijacking.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    I think I struggle with the statements surrounding the WOMEN 16-19% category (which is where I think I fall into).

In particular - Tradeoffs:
    - may struggle in social situations, especially those involving food
    - May not have time for social opportunities outside of exercise
    - May have to give up other hobbies and interests outside of fitness

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    The only listed benefit is - May feel pride at achieving an athletic goal
    but the tradeoffs are:
    - will have difficulty socializing in most typical situations where food is involved
    - may lose out of fun events with family and friends
    - big time commitment to measure and weigh and track all foods
    - hyper focus on diet and exercise may contribute to disordered eating
    - time require for exercise. May crowd out all other pursuits and interests.

MY COMMENTS:
    These statements make it seem like in order to be lean, you need to give up your entire life and be just a gym junkie. And it seems like it promotes others into thinking that if you are lean, that MUST be what your life is like.

But it's not.
    Yes, I have visible abs, and visible muscles, and lower body fat. But I am also an active mom, who eats WELL at family gatherings (and most other times). I enjoy probably way too many processed foods, and eat a fair bit of junk food too. I do NOT spend my life in the gym. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, and maybe I'm blessed with some sort of crazy genetics, but it feels like it's implying to others that my body is the only thing I care about.

I want people to know that, in my case, I am able to be a good mother, and have a healthy relationship with food. I do not exercise 45-60 minutes daily, but I am very active with my kids.

I guess I just don't think it's being balanced enough to those with lower body fats.

I think you're taking it too personal. I clicked on the link fully prepared to hate the article....and then found it refreshingly fair, accurate, and balanced. I agreed with almost every point the author made, especially about how both consumers and the fitness industry try not to shine a bright light on what's really involved in getting to the next level.

I'm trying not to go all psychoanalysis cop, but I think you might be taking the article as some form of personal accusation that you may be sacrificing too much or that you should feel guilty about the NotFitness life opportunities you may be missing. Like it's pointing a finger and saying "you have abs so you must not be having any fun! Instead of all that working out you should be mothering your kids! "

I don't think that's the case at all. Not in the slightest. Many people can find that sweet spot where they balance career, family, and personal pursuits. From what I've seen of you on this site I believe you're one of them. Giving up a slice of pizza isn't giving up on life just like leaving my kids with a sitter while I go to the gym isn't abandoning them.

It's very possible, that I am reacting to this way to personally. It probably didn't hurt that I came across it on FB with one of the mothers of my daughter's friends shaking her head as she posted it, cluck clucking at the lengths of sacrifice that women go to in order to look that way.

Yeah, I think you took it too personally, though I can understand that. I think that in general it is best not to worry about what other people think about your life, or what assumptions they make, especially since that is beyond your control. Only worry about things you can actually do something about.

One other point: everybody judges everybody...whether consciously or not. A lot of people assume all kinds of negative things about a person who is overweight without even knowing them...they are lazy, a slob, etc. I have read that people assume attractive people are more intelligent than unattractive people. There is a halo effect that goes with being attractive, however that is defined. People very frequently make some kind of assumption abut character and lifestyle just based on appearance...whether positive or negative. People size you up and make all kind of judgments within five seconds of meeting you based almost entirely on visual cues. That is just how the human brain is wired. We can't do anything about that, so no point letting it bother you.
  • DavPul
    I hear ya. All I'm saying, or assuming since I can't really know, is that for some people it probably is more of a sacrifice. I'm curious what someone who has a desk job and/or not a lot of other active time (beyond working out) would say about it. What you have to give up depends on what are you needs are. For every person chanting "I eat all the foods" or some other cute slogan to affirm how much they can eat and not give up there are others who actually do have to give up quite a bit to make progress. It is what it is.

I work in IT - I am at a desk 8 hours a day, and commute an extra 1.5 hours a day on top of it
    On average, I get about 5-6 hours of sleep
    After I get the kids to bed (because I'm a single parent), I am usually on my feet working until about 11:30pm getting the house tidied up and lunches made for the next day.
    On the days when the kids are in with their dad, that's when I squeeze in a workout, though I'm starting to try and get a little bit of a workout in when I let the girls play their weekend allotment of Minecraft (after they've done their chores)

*eta to fix "in bed" to read "with their dad" - sorry, had insomnia and all I can think of is sleep

I do sleep more. 8 hours usually. I don't know where the discrepancy is then other than that. You see this a lot with fit people to. The same way some overestimate their activity others maybe under estimate it. Whatever it is it's the thing I've asked people to try to explain to me on multiple occasions but no one can come up with a logical answer. I really do feel like I'm doing the same things most people swear they're doing only they're getting better results. As usual it simply doesn't make sense. I see all these people swearing they don't work out that much who are ripped and I have to wonder what they're actually doing different than me then. Anyone? Explanations?

With the exception of specific medical conditions, in every instance of this I've seen the problem was that the person underestimated their food intake and overestimated their activity.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member

Well quality of life is pretty subjective, right? I mean my DW spends a lot of time (2-3 hours) a day, 7 days a week practicing ballroom at a studio and personally I'm okay with that because I enjoy alone time on my own. I'll either do gym time, outdoor time with my DD, or just kicking it playing video games/watching TV.
    I think that some will look at dedicated people to fitness as obsessed and that we don't lead any other lives outside of the gym or that it JUST revolves around the gym and eating perfect. Again, subjective from person to person on what's viewed as quality of life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I think I struggle with the statements surrounding the WOMEN 16-19% category (which is where I think I fall into).

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:
    - will have difficulty socializing in most typical situations where food is involved

MY COMMENTS:
    These statements make it seem like in order to be lean, you need to give up your entire life and be just a gym junkie. And it seems like it promotes others into thinking that if you are lean, that MUST be what your life is like.

I think this is alot more to do with personality than it does your physique. I have seen plenty of people on here who are overweight, trying to lose, that stress aout about social situations involving food because it does not fit into their new goals. There are also plenty of people who get a really low body fat% but don't let that rule their life all the time (obviously there is some effort there though)

I am really not trying to troll with this idea, it is a legitimate curiosity I have so please don't get angry: I would be curious to see if there is a correlation and/or higher percentage of very fit/low bf% people who do have OCD type tendancies compared to the average weight populations. I am thinking along the correlation is not causation lines here, more OCD type people are able to accomplish that body type (maybe due to an increased focus and drive alot of other people don't have) so it is being steriotyped that way. Getting that body type does not necessarily cause you to be OCD.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member

3nz0nkkrvi4y.jpg

How is it making excuses? I do the work. I weigh and measure my food and I put in 4-5 days a week lifting. That's the point I'm making. I'm saying some of us do the same work and don't get the same result. The OP is basically complaining about how it's so easy for her but others think it's difficult. I'm saying for me it is difficult for some. That's not an excuse. It's a reality. Your response also points out the big divide on how less-fit and very fit people are viewed. If i vent on how tough it is for me to make progress then I'm lazy or making excuses. If someone very fit vents about, of all things, how easy she has it she gets a pat on the back basically.

Actually, no. I am not. I am NOT complaining about how easy it is for me.

I was:
    a) asking for other people's impressions on the article to see if I was overreacting to what I read. (which is why I didn't bias my OP with WHY I took exception with it.
    b) establishing that while MANY people may have to make those sacrifices, assuming ALL people do is wrong
    c) reacting personally to the implication that me being fit = me being a poor mom - which was never actually stated, but more a feeling I got based on a prefacing comment to the article made by another mom.

I will readily admit that I am different than you, and many others. I am not complaining about that, but am defending myself to an audience that really doesn't need me to defend myself to it.

I fully admit my over reaction based on my personal fear that others may think I'm sacrificing my quality of life (and that of my kids) in order to look the way I do.

I am hereby owning up to my personal reaction.. perhaps you should be looking at yours.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    This is getting a little off topic, maybe, but it's something I've thought for a long time.

To be really accomplished at something, say the top 5% of all people, you have to have both a talent and an affection for that something. You have to love it, and you have to be gifted at it. If you are only 1 of those things, never mind neither of them, you'll work exceptionally hard for relatively less result.

So someone with both the natural love and the natural aptitude, "sacrifice" (in terms of what they have to give up) will be relatively little. Someone with little interest an little natural ability will have to sacrifice a whole lot to make even moderate progress.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member

3nz0nkkrvi4y.jpg

tiniest_violin.gif
  • MireyGal76
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    This is getting a little off topic, maybe, but it's something I've thought for a long time.

To be really accomplished at something, say the top 5% of all people, you have to have both a talent and an affection for that something. You have to love it, and you have to be gifted at it. If you are only 1 of those things, never mind neither of them, you'll work exceptionally hard for relatively less result.

So someone with both the natural love and the natural aptitude, "sacrifice" (in terms of what they have to give up) will be relatively little. Someone with little interest an little natural ability will have to sacrifice a whole lot to make even moderate progress.

I think there is a lot of merit to what you are saying. Thank you for sharing it.
  • MireyGal76

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

I think this is alot more to do with personality than it does your physique. I have seen plenty of people on here who are overweight, trying to lose, that stress aout about social situations involving food because it does not fit into their new goals. There are also plenty of people who get a really low body fat% but don't let that rule their life all the time (obviously there is some effort there though)

I am really not trying to troll with this idea, it is a legitimate curiosity I have so please don't get angry: I would be curious to see if there is a correlation and/or higher percentage of very fit/low bf% people who do have OCD type tendancies compared to the average weight populations. I am thinking along the correlation is not causation lines here, more OCD type people are able to accomplish that body type (maybe due to an increased focus and drive alot of other people don't have) so it is being steriotyped that way. Getting that body type does not necessarily cause you to be OCD.

I may have a tendency toward OCD at times (though logging and weighing my food is not one of them - as you'll see in my huge diary gaps). I've been trying to maintain for the last year or two and one of my goals is to not need to worry too much about logging every bite = but rather put into practice the food habits I made when I was logging more religiously. :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    edited April 2015
    If we were just going go by some statistics on "success", it usually boils down to something like this:

Once something is announced (say a challenge, new plan or competition) to a group of 100 people, 50% of people that hear about it won't even bother.
    About 25% will drop out after initially trying for a week or two.
    Another 15% will drop out about 3/4 of the way.
    The last 10% will fight it out (some with mediocre effort), but only the top 5% will really qualify for the win.

And that's about how it is with diet, exercise, work and lifestyle too. Mention a new diet or plan, boom half will be on board even if it's a great plan. The rest just follows as above.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015

And in the WOMEN <16%:
    but the tradeoffs are:

MY COMMENTS:

My observation is that the OCD-like behaviour you mention seems to correlate with NOT having an external reason to lose weight. If you're an athlete, you're not losing weight for the sake of a number on the scale (weight-class sports excepted) - you're losing weight to maximize an actual, functional goal you need to improve performance you care about. Eg, you want to do well in a regional triathlon, you bloody well HAVE to drop the excess weight -- but your primary focus isn't weight loss, it's race performance.

Without those real-world goals, it seems the only tangible left is the diary and that damn scale - so yeah, it starts looking OCD-ish because there really isn't anything else to focus on.

This is why I believe that the MFP gospel "you don't have to exercise to lose weight" is usually bad advice. It is technically true, in terms of CICO, but in terms of how humans actually function and self-motivate, everything I've seen has proven to me that, on average, people who have real exercise goals do *much* better at weight management than those who don't.

So I guess I would rephrase your comment as....those who are OCDing over diaries are more likely to fail at weight management than those who OCD over some form of athletic performance.

Does that make any sense?

(I hope it's obvious we're using "OCD" in a colloquial sense here)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Overall, I think this is good information. But I also think that there are soooo many variables. For instance, did one build a good amount of muscle as a young person? If so, then already they are a step ahead of the person who was a couch potato because their greater lean body mass will increase, at least slightly, their metabolism. I think there is a genetic component. Some people build muscle more easily. I have two adopted sons. Both are active and eat like horses. One came into the world with much greater than average amount of muscle (pediatrician thought he might have cerebral palsy because he had so much muscle tone as an infant. No he is just muscular, and continues to be muscular. He builds muscle out of air! ). The other son is also active, (both have been competitive swimmers for almost 10 years), eats even more than #1, and is a beanpole.

As for me, I think I struggle a bit more (not hugely more, just a bit more) than average because of fitness history. I was a naturally skinny kid, who was not athletic AT ALL except for running a few distance events in track--skinny helped--and thus I had no motivation to build muscle. I didn't have to worry about weight management ( 102 lbs well into my 20s), and because I hated all sports (basically I still do, except I enjoy running), I didn't build any muscle through athletic participation either. So now at 47 I'm wishing I had done differently as a young person. I'm starting out a step behind.

And then there is fat distribution. For me to have a six pack I would likely have to lose down to an almost unhealthy percentage, because I carry almost no fat on my arms and legs and almost all in by mid section. So for me, we are talking about having to build a significant amount of muscle to make that possible without my being too skinny.

Then there is the lifestyle angle. Different folks have different tolerance for the actual amount of time spent working out. At 45 minutes most days, I already feel like most of my recreational time is taken by exercising. As a working mother with active kids, there just isn't much time for leisure activities, and when I started working out, basically it took the place of most of my reading time, and all of pretty much everything else. So for me, the time sacrifice would be too much. Another person might not feel that more than 45 minutes a day is a sacrifice. Again, many factors, including work hours, how much travel time to and from jobs, how much help from your domestic partner (or even whether or not you have a partner), how much time spent in religious activities, family responsibilities for extended family (caring for parents, etc). You get the idea.

As to the social aspect, that also varies from person to person and family to family. In my family, pretty much all celebrations center around food. We do not drink a lot of alcohol, so our indulgences are often desserts, etc. and one of the main things hubby and I do for fun is try out new restaurants. Another family's celebrations might center more on activities, like boating or biking, so again, the perceived sacrifice is different.

So I guess overall, I feel that this is a very balanced article. In order to be lean, most of us will have to work at it. I feel that many of my own frustrations come from exactly this--how much am I willing to give to fitness. How much hunger/deprivation, how much time, how much planning, etc. These are not excuses. These are evaluations that each of us make in our lives as we are prioritizing and decision making. They only become excuses when we want to "have our cake and eat it too". I have certainly been there, and still step back into the mode often.

Articles like this, to me really clarify the whole thought process and goals for me.

• DavPul

I think you missed all the qualifiers in their statements, and they were everywhere. Pretty much everything was prefaced with "may" or "might."

I didn't see gym/exercise being painted as punishment. It said that may crowd out other interests/pursuits. So if anything it painted it as an interest or pursuit.

Exactly this. I hate running and find it the most boring chore ever and HATE the times of year when it becomes part of my fitness plan. Others find a two hour run to be the most joyous part of their day. Either way, we both put in the time and whether we consider it punishment is a personal thing. That is time that could be spent doing other things if one wanted. I didn't find that judgmental at all.
  • MireyGal76
    edited April 2015
    tigerblue wrote: »
    Overall, I think this is good information. But I also think that there are soooo many variables. For instance, did one build a good amount of muscle as a young person? If so, then already they are a step ahead of the person who was a couch potato because their greater lean body mass will increase, at least slightly, their metabolism. I think there is a genetic component. Some people build muscle more easily. I have two adopted sons. Both are active and eat like horses. One came into the world with much greater than average amount of muscle (pediatrician thought he might have cerebral palsy because he had so much muscle tone as an infant. No he is just muscular, and continues to be muscular. He builds muscle out of air! ). The other son is also active, (both have been competitive swimmers for almost 10 years), eats even more than #1, and is a beanpole.

As for me, I think I struggle a bit more (not hugely more, just a bit more) than average because of fitness history. I was a naturally skinny kid, who was not athletic AT ALL except for running a few distance events in track--skinny helped--and thus I had no motivation to build muscle. I didn't have to worry about weight management ( 102 lbs well into my 20s), and because I hated all sports (basically I still do, except I enjoy running), I didn't build any muscle through athletic participation either. So now at 47 I'm wishing I had done differently as a young person. I'm starting out a step behind.

And then there is fat distribution. For me to have a six pack I would likely have to lose down to an almost unhealthy percentage, because I carry almost no fat on my arms and legs and almost all in by mid section. So for me, we are talking about having to build a significant amount of muscle to make that possible without my being too skinny.

Then there is the lifestyle angle. Different folks have different tolerance for the actual amount of time spent working out. At 45 minutes most days, I already feel like most of my recreational time is taken by exercising. As a working mother with active kids, there just isn't much time for leisure activities, and when I started working out, basically it took the place of most of my reading time, and all of pretty much everything else. So for me, the time sacrifice would be too much. Another person might not feel that more than 45 minutes a day is a sacrifice. Again, many factors, including work hours, how much travel time to and from jobs, how much help from your domestic partner (or even whether or not you have a partner), how much time spent in religious activities, family responsibilities for extended family (caring for parents, etc). You get the idea.

As to the social aspect, that also varies from person to person and family to family. In my family, pretty much all celebrations center around food. We do not drink a lot of alcohol, so our indulgences are often desserts, etc. and one of the main things hubby and I do for fun is try out new restaurants. Another family's celebrations might center more on activities, like boating or biking, so again, the perceived sacrifice is different.

So I guess overall, I feel that this is a very balanced article. In order to be lean, most of us will have to work at it. I feel that many of my own frustrations come from exactly this--how much am I willing to give to fitness. How much hunger/deprivation, how much time, how much planning, etc. These are not excuses. These are evaluations that each of us make in our lives as we are prioritizing and decision making. They only become excuses when we want to "have our cake and eat it too". I have certainly been there, and still step back into the mode often.

Articles like this, to me really clarify the whole thought process and goals for me.

I think this is a fantastic response (the whole thing!) and really enjoyed reading your perspective!!
    In particular, I think a lot of it comes down to what you put in bold.