Protein

Options
Hi all. I'm new to Myfitness and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I can eat that is not meat, high in protein and low or no carbs? I do eat fish but canned tuna is getting boring.....thanks!

Jodi

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Cheese of any kind is a good source as well as greek yogurt, sour cream, eggs etc.

Lots of stuff out there. Since it's getting nice I actually am back with my smoothies for breakfast so I rely on protein powder to get my morning protein in. Weider has 2 grams of carbs and 41 grams of protein for 50grams...and it goes well in my smoothie made of fruit, almond milk and cran/pom juice.
  • jodilynn783
    jodilynn783 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    any non-meat source of protein is really just a source of fat with some protein in it, unless you just eat a lot of low- or no-fat versions of cheese and greek yogurt (which will have carbs). Or only egg whites.
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I do eat fish. Which helps.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt...
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I'm eating those now. Are there any vegetables that are high in protein and low in carbs? Seems like certain veggies are high in carbs. I was always under the impression that I could eat as many veggies as I wanted as long as I didn't add fats to them.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    What is the concern about adding fat?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Nuts are high in protein and fat.

Higher protein grains:
    • Wheat Germ. 6 g per 1 oz. serving.
    • Soba Noodles. 12 g per 3 oz. serving.
    • Quinoa. 8 g per 1 cup serving.

tumblr_inline_miwvh9T5Cl1ralbh3.jpg

By comparison, tuna has over 25g of protein for a 3 oz serving.

Are eggs in? 13g in one egg.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Nuts. Nuts are high in protein and fat.

Higher protein grains:
    • Wheat Germ. 6 g per 1 oz. serving.
    • Soba Noodles. 12 g per 3 oz. serving.
    • Quinoa. 8 g per 1 cup serving.

tumblr_inline_miwvh9T5Cl1ralbh3.jpg

By comparison, tuna has over 25g of protein for a 3 oz serving.

Are eggs in? 13g in one egg.

13 grams in one egg? I'm seeing 6 grams for an average egg weighing 50 grams...
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I'm more worried about my carbs. Fat is not the problem. I am striving for 30% carbs and fat, 40% protein. I can't seem to keep my carbs lower than 36%. I eat fish but don't eat meat. Nuts and grains are either high in carbs or fats. Trying to lose 10 pounds, and belly flab. I've amped up my workout to walking 4.0 miles per hour w a goal of 5 miles per hour in 30 days.
  • uptownplum
    uptownplum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils. <3
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why 40% protein? That sounds unnecessarily high and would be extremely challenging if you don't eat meat other than fish. (Fish is a great source, though--lots of fish besides canned tuna, but obviously cost may become an issue.)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Shakes or smoothies made with protein powder, almond milk and frozen berries
    Cottage Cheese
    egg whites
    tilapia, sole
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lifting weights? Lifting weight may add scale pounds to you, but you will look far more chiseled and may be able to get rid of the extra flub by doing so.
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I just started adding weights to my workout.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about my carbs. Fat is not the problem. I am striving for 30% carbs and fat, 40% protein. I can't seem to keep my carbs lower than 36%. I eat fish but don't eat meat. Nuts and grains are either high in carbs or fats. Trying to lose 10 pounds, and belly flab. I've amped up my workout to walking 4.0 miles per hour w a goal of 5 miles per hour in 30 days.

Since it's calories in vs out for weight gain/loss, what is the significance of hitting your macro ratios spot on? And 40% protein is unnecessary IMO

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1c almonds is about 820 cals for 20g of protein. I guess if you are on a vegan bulk...
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    Yikes, my calorie limit is 1200 if I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I'm not spending my calories on almonds.

As for my protein increase, carb decrease, this seems to be the ratio for losing belly fat in addition to exercise. I must say I do see a difference after only a week of counting calories and carbs.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oops, I just asked google. 13 grams per 100 g.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You are over-demanding of your vegetable sources. You are asking them to be high in one macro only. If you are insistent on keeping your fats and carbs low, I say use whey protein powder.