Busting my rear because of a cheat meal

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ladyleo_l wrote: »
    If everyone has been in my shoes why is someone laughing at "clean eating"? Is it not good for weight loss to eat whole foods? Why make it seem like something is wrong with me because I'm disappointed that I am working so hard and gaining weight? Other people have said the same thing as you but in a nicer more understanding way. Who's opinions do you think I'll actually pay attention to?

What matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Eating whole foods can be beneficial to health, but it will not result in weight loss unless there is also a calorie deficit.

Nothing is wrong with YOU as a person, but your attitude towards the scale seems to be causing you stress. Those of us who have been through similar stress in the past are trying to offer tips to get past it (as we have).

If you plan on only paying attention to people who fit your definition of "niceness," then you might miss out on some great tips. Some of the most experienced and helpful users here have a blunt way of speaking, but I've learned so much from reading their posts. You are going to shut yourself off from some useful information.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Fluctuations don't bother me but a six day .6 lb increase is a gain not a fluctuation in my book. I'm trying to keep carbs reasonably low not severely low. I've seen a nutritionist and I am following a normal, healthy diet plan. Sorry, I probably should've mentioned these details sooner.

Also it's not my cycle, I've already ruled that out. But that was a good suggestion.

I lose at least 2 pounds overnight every night in water fluctuations.

And, no, it is NOT "good for weight loss to eat whole foods." A caloric deficit is the one and only thing that is good for weight loss. Whole foods tend to be nutrient dense, so they are a smart thing to incorporate into your diet for purposes of general health, but they do nothing more or less than any other food for weight loss.

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    If everyone has been in my shoes why is someone laughing at "clean eating"? Is it not good for weight loss to eat whole foods? Why make it seem like something is wrong with me because I'm disappointed that I am working so hard and gaining weight? Other people have said the same thing as you but in a nicer more understanding way. Who's opinions do you think I'll actually pay attention to?

No one is making it out to seem that something is wrong with you for being disappointed, but I suggest reading the comments again with an open mind. A gain of .6lbs or 2.2lbs isn't "fat" gain. It's water weight. You yourself stated that "fluctuations don't bother me". That's all it is, a fluctuation. 3-5 days, even a week depending on your TOM is normal to retain water. You didn't eat enough to actually add 2.2lbs of real weight.

Also, "clean eating" isn't necessary to lose weight. Weight loss is all about energy balance. Calories in vs out for weight gain or loss. The type of food you eat has nothing to do with it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    The person is not laughing at "clean eating." The person is laughing at the idea that not "eating clean" caused a weight gain.

I do not eat "clean" - I have lost 22 lbs since Jan 25th. Calories in, calories out is what causes weight loss. Not clean eating, not low carb or no carb eating, not juicing, not cleansing, not detoxing... eating at a calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. Period.

I do endeavor try to meet my macros every day (almost.) I eat a variety of foods to meet that goal: processed foods, I eat candy, I drink wine, I drink soda (once in a while). I eat veggies, I eat meat, I eat dairy. I don't restrict it to certain things beyond meeting my protein/calcium/iron/fiber etc. goals while staying under my calories.

A thicker skin is necessary for internet survival. Most people project their own emotions onto someone else's post and assume inflections that are not there. Take a deep breath, and don't assume the worst, okay?
  • ladyleo_l
    ladyleo_l Posts: 11 Member
    I assumed that everyone knows that there is a calorie deficit along with clean eating. Not just clean eating...
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member

First of all, after you are around awhile you will find that "clean eating" is a buzz word that tends to bring out a lot of emotion. There is no clear definition of what clean eating is.

Bottom line, you need to eat the way that is going to make you successful. For each person it is different but ultimately, no diet works without eating less calories than you burn.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    How often do you weigh yourself? I found that when I thought I was gaining weight (when I was actually losing weight) it's cause I was weighing myself once a day or once every few days. Now I weigh myself once a week or once every two weeks and it works better
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I assumed that everyone knows that there is a calorie deficit along with clean eating. Not just clean eating...

We get a fair number of users here that assume just "clean eating" will result in weight loss and don't understand that calories are the important factor. People are responding to what you wrote. If you meant something different, you'll have to understand that we didn't respond to that.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015

Number one rule to learn: do not assume people "know" things about yourself that haven't been said.

There are plenty of people who think that simply by cutting out breads and other wheat products, that they will automatically lose weight, no calorie counting needed. Or that if they eat just vegetarian they will lose weight. Or eating "clean." Or eating paleo. Many people are just in denial about the simplicity of calories in/calories out and really take steps to complicate their weight loss as much as possible.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    edited April 2015

One thing I have learned on this site, is do not make assumptions. Remember, there are lots of definitions of what "clean eating" is.

Also, clean eating does not equal eating at a deficit. You can easily over consume while "eating clean".

I am outta here. Time to act like I am working.

IMDONE_Drop_zps0413c54f.gif

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    edited April 2015

I understand that.

What we want you to understand is that it is the deficit and not the clean eating that makes you lose weight. Conversely if you eat "dirty" and still have a deficit you will still lose.

Eating clean or whole foods is great for getting in micro nutrients, but beyond your needed nutrient levels there is no point, unless it is what you truly prefer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    So last weekend I had a cheat meal. I didn't go high over my calories, I just didn't eat clean. I gained .6 lbs and it took me 6 days to get rid of it. Then yesterday I cheated a bit due to it being Easter. I have gained 2.2 lbs. I am totally discouraged. I don't know why other people can have a cheat meal and not work a whole week to work it off. I am doing high intensity interval training (cardio) and weight training. I consume plenty of water and try to keep sodium and carbs low. Why am I gaining so much weight after one moderate cheat meal!? This doesn't seem normal. Any hints? Suggestions? Comments?

You did not gain actual fat. That is natural fluctuation from the extra food you ate. If you eat within your deficit and drink a lot of water, it should disappear soon.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Fluctuations don't bother me but a six day .6 lb increase is a gain not a fluctuation in my book.

This is how it works for me usually:

In a time period where I am eating pretty consistantly (calorie count day to day is pretty consistant) I hold my weight pretty steady. The past 3 weeks for me looked like this: day 1-5 weight 204.6 every day. Day 6 weight 203.2 (awesome a drop!). Day 7-12 weight between 204.2 -205 every day (not as consistant this week). Day 13, weight 202.2. I have been 202.8 every day for 4 strait days now. I will see a drop probably tomorrow.

Going up a bit for a couple days up to 2 weeks (if TOM falls in that window) before seeing my next drop is a regular fluctuation in my weight loss pattern.

Edited to add: It might be worth rethinking the cheat meal. Not sure how you define "cheat" because it means different things to different people, but if you are not logging it I advise you try to fix that. There is nothing wrong with eating over you goal if thats what you decide to do that day, but still log it. It is quite common for people to derail their progress with cheat meals simply because they do not know how much they are eating and how it effects their deficit. If you do not know what your deficit was you can't accurately predict you loss and its harder to track wether you plan is working or not.
  • ladyleo_l
    I guess because I mentioned I see a nutritionist people would know that I am on a deficit. I also didn't realize people thought you could lose weight by eating maintenance calories. That actually surprises me that people think that.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Questions:
    Do you take your weight at the same time daily?
    What are your measurements telling you?
    • 0.6 pounds is a normal daily fluctuation.
    • A pound of is about 3,5000 calories. Make sure that you are tracking everything.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited April 2015
    Fluctuations don't bother me but a six day .6 lb increase is a gain not a fluctuation in my book.

Then you read the wrong book.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Its admirable you are working hard, but you are gripping too tightly and need to relax. If you didnt eat 8000 calories in that cheat meal then its unlikely its anyting other than water retention. It will come off in time, be patient and keep doing the right things.

Listen to what people are telling you. Most people who try and help have been there and lost weight.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

No, you said in your OP:
    I didn't go high over my calories, I just didn't eat clean.

Which implies that you think that clean eating alone causes weight loss.

I promise you, I could eat "clean" for a month or two and gain a ton of weight. Plenty of Crossfit and other strength athletes do it all the time when intentionally bulking.

I could also eat totally "dirty" and lose. I'd probably lose more because I really only like most convenience foods in small doses, so a fully "dirty" diet would make me lose my appetite and lead to a bigger deficit.

In summary:

1) Less than a pound gain or loss is not signal, but noise. It's irrelevant and one good poop would take care of it.
    2) Your "cheat" of eating "not clean" didn't do a darn thing to your weight loss efforts.
  • ladyleo_l
    Hmm I guess I'll check to see if there are patterns so I don't worry as much when I see a gain. I'm just working really hard for it this time and seeing the least results. I guess that's why I am concerned about the numbers. It's been like 2.5 months of a calorie deficit and I've only lost 6 lbs. in prior weight loss efforts I've cleared 5-6 lbs per month of a calorie deficit.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited April 2015
    Maybe look at what did during your prior efforts and incorporate that into your current plan? If it worked before it may work again.