Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Option D - Full Fat Raw Milk :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    1% because I don't like drinking my calories and skim is just nasty. I use almond milk in oatmeal though, we just have milk for the kids (and I use it for French toast).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I prefer Almond Milk....both for the taste and health benefits.
    I would question the last statement. I doubt there is really any research suggesting that almond milk is healthier than cows milk. More likely, it's been more psuedoscience to help sales for almond milk.
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I usually by 2% but I also drink a lot of powdered skim milk because I can control the calories better and it doesn't go bad. I throw out a lot of fresh milk.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that full fat is better for you. I am going to go look for that.
  • KevinTheBarbarian
    KevinTheBarbarian Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I would question the last statement. I doubt there is really any research suggesting that almond milk is healthier than cows milk. More likely, it's been more psuedoscience to help sales for almond milk.

It's generally less calories and contains no saturated fat and cholesterol. It also has no protein or calcium. So it depends on your diet and which macros you're in need of. I wouldn't say one is innately better than the other.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole milk or 2% non-homogenized.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    KateO_o wrote: »
    thanks guys i usually drink fat free milk because its whats always in the house so ill stick to that. i was just wondering about the higher sugar content. I wish i could drink almond milk but I'm allergic to nuts :( thanks for all the responses.

The sugar is lactose. The reputable recommendations to limit sugar are about "added sugar" and specifically things like low nutrient sweet treats, which tend to have lots of calories (often from fat, though) and not much else besides (other than taste, of course). The WHO doesn't fret about milk sugar.

But in any case, it's not actually true that skim has more sugar. It shouldn't, since it's not added and not removed from the full fat, after all.

1 cup of skim milk (Lucerne)=90 calories and 12 grams of sugar.
    1 cup of 4% milk (Lucerne)=160 calories and 12 grams of sugar.

The sugar is simply a higher percentage of the calories in the skim, because it has fewer calories overall.

Don't mind me, this is just a pet peeve, especially when people (not you!) start making up nonsense about skim or lowfat milk having sugar added to it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

+1

I like dairy for protein. Almond milk doesn't have any.

Almonds are healthy, of course, but completely different from dairy, so it would be weird to pit them against each other. Almond milk is okay (totally processed if you don't make it yourself, but that doesn't bother me), but more like a substitute for water than milk IMO.

(But then I don't drink much milk, as I said, and cottage cheese or yogurt from almond milk would be pointless.)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

It's generally less calories and contains no saturated fat and cholesterol. It also has no protein or calcium. So it depends on your diet and which macros you're in need of. I wouldn't say one is innately better than the other.

That is assuming you are drinking the unsweetened version. And cholesterol in food is health for you and sat fat isnt' unhealthy for you either.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

+1

I like dairy for protein. Almond milk doesn't have any.

Almonds are healthy, of course, but completely different from dairy, so it would be weird to pit them against each other. Almond milk is okay (totally processed if you don't make it yourself, but that doesn't bother me), but more like a substitute for water than milk IMO.

(But then I don't drink much milk, as I said, and cottage cheese or yogurt from almond milk would be pointless.)

Agreed. I love milk for the protein content. The macros in almond milk just don’t satisfy me at all. I realize lots of people like its taste though.

Anyway, I second that you should just drink whatever form of milk you like best. When I have a glass of milk or hot chocolate, I like whole. When I mix it into protein smoothies, I like skim.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The one you like ... just make it fit with your numbers.

I'll have whichever is available, and work around it, but 2% is my preference when given a choice.
  • koronakona
    koronakona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not a huge dairy fan, but if I do it's definitely full fat raw for me too
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would rather drink no milk at all than anything other than whole milk. It is the purest and best tasting. There are other options besides milk if you are worried about calories, though.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    2014-06-1615_44_35-tjkitchensonInstagram.jpg

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    2014-06-1615_44_35-tjkitchensonInstagram.jpg

That looks delicious, but the germaphobe in me would be hesitant.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I use 1% milk in cooking and with cereal. I usually have skim milk at work for my tea. If you look at calories, the lower the fat content, the lower the calories but you should use whichever suits you best, just allow for the calories in your daily count.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The fat isn't bad. You need fat in your diet. It helps your body digest/process a lot of key nutrients. I had a dietitian recommend 1% because it still has some fat, but not as many calories. Obviously you can get fat from other sources too. But those will have calories as well.

Personally I've switched to almond milk.
  • KevinTheBarbarian
    KevinTheBarbarian Posts: 43 Member
    Options

That is assuming you are drinking the unsweetened version. And cholesterol in food is health for you and sat fat isnt' unhealthy for you either.

Yes, I assumed unsweetened almond milk. My point had nothing to do with the macros being healthy or unhealthy, but what fit their current diet.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Option D - Full Fat Raw Milk :)
    ^ This is the right answer! Or cream-top milk.