2 hour cardio ?

Options
ebyla85
ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
Does anyone else some days do more cardio than other days ? And if so why ?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. :noway:
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4 days a week, other days I do nothing. Each one of those running days varies in distance/duration/etc. One long run day per week (6-10 miles) and the others are 3-5 with intervals.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cardio :wink:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I do because I am using a self structured training program designed to increase aerobic capacity for long distance endurance running.

If it wasn't for that I would do much less and probably have less variety.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I cycle long distance so my training reflects that. Two 4 hour rides this Easter weekend as I'm training for a 205km event.

My typical weekly routine is 3 days one hour strength training, 2 days one hour cardio sessions (mostly bike related but not exclusively) to fit in my lunch break, 1 long ride at the weekend.

What is your reason for wanting to do 2 hours of cardio?
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

I wonder if anyone would do two hour cardio for something not performance related? Like for weight loss because there trying to outrun a poor diet.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'd rather lay on a bed of nails than do 2 hours on a dreadmachine.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you on a treadmill or elliptical machine??? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    2+ plus? Sure, for endurance training. Once a week for a marathon, twice a week for an ultra.

2+ hours On a machine? Hell 2 da naw.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    outside walking sure...inside on a treadmill nope.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I've done two hour plus runs on the treadmill or on my bike trainer. It's not ideal, but if it's the dead of winter and everything is covered in ice, it's the best option to keep myself in shape. I was going to watch Netflix anyway, might as well also run 12 miles.
    Especially with big races early in the season.
    I wouldn't do it if I wasn't training for something though.

When it's nice out, I'll happily do a three hour run or 4 hour bike outside.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

Cardio doesn't always mean using a cardio machine in a gym. Have you ever gone mountain biking, played paintball, rode a dirtbike? I would never call that boring and they're all intense cardio workouts that can easily last all day.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

I've done two hour plus runs on the treadmill or on my bike trainer. It's not ideal, but if it's the dead of winter and everything is covered in ice, it's the best option to keep myself in shape. I was going to watch Netflix anyway, might as well also run 12 miles.
    Especially with big races early in the season.
    I wouldn't do it if I wasn't training for something though.

When it's nice out, I'll happily do a three hour run or 4 hour bike outside.

Riding/running on snow and ice are the best! Just get studded tires or those cleats for your running shoes. BOOM, instant grip!
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    Yes. But the duration depends on the intensity. For example, I'll train very hard aerobically/anaerobically for 30 min, then my kickboxing class will start and have 1.5 hours of that. OK, the KB is intermittent with its intensity, and varies each session (so not 'true' long, slow, continuous aerobic work) but overall its 2 hours of cardio. The pool of sweat I leave after the session confirms this :-)

Well done to sijomial, 2x4 hour rides sound great/hardcore! Good luck in your future event.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Not regularly. For training for an endurance event, sure. But even then it's only once/week. The other days are shorter. Exception might be cycling...I'm not a biker, so I just don't know.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not for workout purposes. I've done cardio-type activities for long periods, though, but it's usually for non-exercise reasons (walking around town or hiking) or for specific task conditioning (ruck-marching).

When it comes to exercise, I'm pretty much at or below 30 minutes.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    My training plan requires prior to 2 weeks before race day I do a long run outside that usually last more than 2 plus hours.

But what puzzled me most about your comment was how do you know people are on particular machine for 2 hours. What do you do in gym for 2 hours? Observing people?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?