2 hour cardio ?

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?

Perhaps they are training for their sport?

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

Is it so surprising that people have different fitness goals?

I train for my sport outdoors all winter, running in temperatures as low as -25C, so, yeah... it does surprise me when people choose to spend that amount of time on a machine.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.

Well I'm not a marathon runner so I wouldn't know that. And I'm just saying...if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid. Just wanting to let that out as to this day, people still believe that. If you're just running down a trail...that's fine but like I said...I'm not a marathon runner. My goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat while on a moderate deficit.

What do you do with the muscle you preserve?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.

Well I'm not a marathon runner so I wouldn't know that. And I'm just saying...if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid. Just wanting to let that out as to this day, people still believe that. If you're just running down a trail...that's fine but like I said...I'm not a marathon runner. My goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat while on a moderate deficit.

Dude, I've never run on a machine in my life, but who are you to say it's stupid?? I've had friends train for the Boston Marathon on treadmills indoors cause get what? Sometimes in winter, it's dangerous to run outside. Stop judging already.

Disappointed-Dislike-Napoleon-dynamite-No-Shakes-head-SMH-GIF.gif
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

I train for my sport outdoors all winter, running in temperatures as low as -25C, so, yeah... it does surprise me when people choose to spend that amount of time on a machine.

Good for you. My guess is you don't have Raynaud's.
    But carry on judging people you don't know.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I'm not an athlete....I just want to be the best person I can be physically and get rid of unwanted fat while preserving as much muscle as possible and that's where lifting heavy and eating as much protein as possible comes in. It makes no sense to be on a calorie deficit and also lose the muscle I've had for years. Basically I just wanna look and feel better about myself.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Ummm!!! Running is not the only activity in the world people of the world do.

But carry on you are at world's highest pedestal.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Good for you. My guess is you don't have Raynaud's.
    But carry on judging people you don't know.

Actually, I do, and arthritis, to boot. But carry on making assumptions
  • runner475
    Options

I'm not an athlete....I just want to be the best person I can be physically and get rid of unwanted fat while preserving as much muscle as possible and that's where lifting heavy and eating as much protein as possible comes in. It makes no sense to be on a calorie deficit and also lose the muscle I've had for years. Basically I just wanna look and feel better about myself.

Bolded part explains all your previous commenting.

Never mind.
  • sijomial
    Options

If you have ambitions to be a personal trainer (as per your profile) you really need to start educating yourself in nutrition and exercise physiology.
    If you think cardio equals muscle loss you are badly mistaken.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Sounds great. I do both. Lifting heavy, and 2+ hour cardio at least once a week. Not on machines though. H E double hockey stick. NO!

• ScorpioJack_91
    Options

Sounds great. I do both. Lifting heavy, and 2+ hour cardio at least once a week. Not on machines though. H E double hockey stick. NO!

That's cool...I'm also trying to be a personal trainer and currently going to school to learn as much as possible.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I spend 2 hours + doing cardio at least 3 times per week. Usually 1 hour to 1.5 the other days. No loss of muscle here.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options

If you have ambitions to be a personal trainer (as per your profile) you really need to start educating yourself in nutrition and exercise physiology.

I have to go through prerequisites before taking those classes at my school. Living with Health is one of them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I have to go through prerequisites before taking those classes at my school. Living with Health is one of them.

Good, so you will learn then.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid..

let me just be exceedingly clear here - in case you missed this.

you're wrong.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I spend 2 hours + doing cardio at least 3 times per week. Usually 1 hour to 1.5 the other days. No loss of muscle here.

I was talking about excessive like 2 hours EVERYDAY.....and also if you're eating enough protein...of course you won't lose muscle.
  • runner475
    Options

That's cool...I'm also trying to be a personal trainer and currently going to school to learn as much as possible.

Just my 2 cents since you are pursuing a career of a personal trainer.

Remove the word "stupid" from your vocab for any activity.

Keep an open mind. You want to make money out of your clients not drive them away.

Example During winters when I don't have any races I hire a personal trainer for my HIIT training. He knows I'm a runner. If I hear him address my sport with such "grace" I'll make sure in all my power every runner and tri-athlete friend of mine knows how awesome his views about their sport.

Like I said just my 2 cents.

Carry on.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Keep an open mind. You want to make money out of your clients not drive them away.

Example During winters when I don't have any races I hire a personal trainer for my HIIT training. He knows I'm a runner. If I hear him address my sport with such "grace" I'll make sure in all my power every runner and tri-athlete friend of mine knows how awesome his views about their sport.

Carry on.

Alright :)
  • sijomial
    Options

I mean this to be well meaning advice as my son is a qualified personal trainer and had to make the same adjustment - you are going to have to work with all sorts of people. Some will have completely different goals to you, your job will be to help them achieve their goals and not yours.

For some it will be a choice between doing something on a cardio machine or doing nothing. Others will want to be an athlete rather than concentrate on physique. Different strokes for different folks doesn't mean an activity is a waste of time or stupid.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Carry on.

Even when he should be applying it to himself? Ignorant and obnoxious as well.