How do people not eat all of their allotted calories?

Options

Replies

• Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well for a few days I've been eating about 700 cal...eating healthy food (fish, fruit veg etc ) and going the gym.. will this work? I don't need to really loose weight just have baby fat & need to tone up....

No, even toddlers need more calories than that. Seriously.

Also, you can't turn baby fat into toned muscle. That's not going to work either.
    Well what would you suggest then? I'm 5'3 ...not exactly fat I'm just over 9 half stone.. I have healthy bmi & 19% body fat?

Eat close to maintenance and lift? You can't be serious with 700 calories.

Why can't I be serious...I don't get that hungry and the food I eat has hardly any calories....I'm not going to force myself to eat to reach a target.. some days I do have 1200 cals if I'm hungry

how are you measuring yourself to be 19% bodyfat?

The scales in the gym they measure weight hight bmi and body fat

They are typically not accurate.

Don't bother, @arditarose . You must have missed the closed Slendertone and Skinnymint threads.

They maybe the odd pound out but I'm just wondering what you use to weigh youself then?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well for a few days I've been eating about 700 cal...eating healthy food (fish, fruit veg etc ) and going the gym.. will this work? I don't need to really loose weight just have baby fat & need to tone up....

Also, you can't turn baby fat into toned muscle. That's not going to work either.
    Well what would you suggest then? I'm 5'3 ...not exactly fat I'm just over 9 half stone.. I have healthy bmi & 19% body fat?

Why can't I be serious...I don't get that hungry and the food I eat has hardly any calories....I'm not going to force myself to eat to reach a target.. some days I do have 1200 cals if I'm hungry

Don't bother, @arditarose . You must have missed the closed Slendertone and Skinnymint threads.

They maybe the odd pound out but I'm just wondering what you use to weigh youself then?

Pound? I thought we were talking about body fat%. The most accurate way is to get a dexa scan. Calipers can get you close too, though there is still a large margin for error.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options

Oh! I saw the skinny mint thing but didn't read.

She just got more and more irate and abusive because people were telling her it didn't work. Thread got closed shortly after she started calling people stupid fatties and assuming MFP must be mostly Americans because of how stupid we are to think detox tea doesn't work.

It was the highlight of my day.

Lmao stupid fatties I'm pretty sure that's not what I said but anyways I had quite a few people tell me it did work so you can believe what you want and I'll believe what I want :)
  • arditarose
    Options

She just got more and more irate and abusive because people were telling her it didn't work. Thread got closed shortly after she started calling people stupid fatties and assuming MFP must be mostly Americans because of how stupid we are to think detox tea doesn't work.

Oh! Fun. I don't have tv so that would have given me some entertainment.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options

Pound? I thought we were talking about body fat%. The most accurate way is to get a dexa scan. Calipers can get you close too, though there is still a large margin for error.

I said I used scales you said there not accurate so yes pounds body fat the lot are wrong :/ but either way it's close enough for me :)
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options

Bit bad you have no tv though
  • arditarose
    Options

I said I used scales you said there not accurate so yes pounds body fat the lot are wrong :/ but either way it's close enough for me :)

mmmk. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

There accurate enough to use.

i'm presuming when you say 'baby fat' you mean stomach fat from having a baby? at 19% BF it would be mainly loose skin not fat.

also such a massive deficit at that low bodyfat is just encouraging your body to use muscle as fuel as you wouldnt have the fat reserves to burn.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean.. how do you get rid.. I don't eat 700 cal everyday btw it's just odd occasions.... but I'll usually eat less than 1500 everyday

tummy tuck if its loose skin....
  • arditarose
    Options

Bit bad you have no tv though

I prefer it.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options

mmmk. Good luck.

Tar :)
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options

i'm presuming when you say 'baby fat' you mean stomach fat from having a baby? at 19% BF it would be mainly loose skin not fat.

also such a massive deficit at that low bodyfat is just encouraging your body to use muscle as fuel as you wouldnt have the fat reserves to burn.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean.. how do you get rid.. I don't eat 700 cal everyday btw it's just odd occasions.... but I'll usually eat less than 1500 everyday

tummy tuck if its loose skin....

Best get to the bank then lol
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    somedays I go over on my calories, and some days it seems I cant find the time to fit in all of my allotted calories.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I know this issue. When I started 1/1/14, I was always hungry. I was alos losing weight, so I put up with the hunger. In Oct. 2014, I stopped losing weight, but was still at a deficit. Everyone told me I wasn't really in a deficit, and that is why I was not losing.

So I cut back my calories further and was still not losing (I was even more hungry too). So I decided that I wasn't going to be hungry AND not lose any weight. If I was sacrificing, I had to see some results.

So I changed my plan and did a new diet in hopes of trying to curb my appetite. I ate 500 calories every other day, and ate as much as it took to satisfy me for the other days. Admittedly, I would eat mostly junk food for the "feast" days, but I noticed it would take around 9,000 calories to satisfy me at first. I tried foods that were not as dense and found that I was still eating just as many calories to be satisfied (seriously, I once had 4 lbs. of salad... as much salad as I had available... and was still hungry). After about 6 weeks (Jan.), my "feast" days had gradually shrunk to about 4,000 calories. Since I had cut my appetite, I decided to switch back to a normal daily deficit in hopes of losing weight again while at least not being hungry all the time.

I finally started losing weight again a few weeks ago. Since Jan., my appetite has continued to improve and I'm able to be satisfied with my deficit diet about once every 3-4 days. I'm seeing that continue to improve.

Keep in mind that it took some really drastic measures to cut my appetite, and it has taken a long time. Some MFP users might tell you they were happy with their calorie limit from day 1 or that eating non-calorie dense foods will work, but it didn't for me. I'm hoping my experience is helpful because you sound a lot like I did awhile ago.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    somedays I go over on my calories, and some days it seems I cant find the time to fit in all of my allotted calories.

Same, it all depends on the day and how it goes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP must be mostly Americans because of how stupid we are to think detox tea doesn't work

Americans are supposed to be extra resistant to silly scams? Wouldn't have expected that (I guess I lack adequate faith in Americans), but go America!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I live on a weekly defect. If I didn't, I would never lose. I eat a lot on the weekends and keep it controlled during the week. You can change your settings so that the weekly calorie tracker (in the reports) is set to a fixed week (M-Su instead of constantly shifting). For example, I weigh in on Thursdays, so I have my tracker set to Th - W. If I go over on Saturday, I just make up for it another time during the week. I try to aim for that weekly goal and I only log 75% of my exercise calories (to account for error).
  • arditarose
    Options
    mhankosk wrote: »
    I live on a weekly defect. If I didn't, I would never lose. I eat a lot on the weekends and keep it controlled during the week. You can change your settings so that the weekly calorie tracker (in the reports) is set to a fixed week (M-Su instead of constantly shifting). For example, I weigh in on Thursdays, so I have my tracker set to Th - W. If I go over on Saturday, I just make up for it another time during the week. I try to aim for that weekly goal and I only log 75% of my exercise calories (to account for error).

Oh wait. I didn't know you could fix it like that. That will be helpful for me.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Nope.

Ok if you say so