How do people not eat all of their allotted calories?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    tjcuipylo wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Well for a few days I've been eating about 700 cal...eating healthy food (fish, fruit veg etc ) and going the gym.. will this work? I don't need to really loose weight just have baby fat & need to tone up....

No, even toddlers need more calories than that. Seriously.

Also, you can't turn baby fat into toned muscle. That's not going to work either.
    Well what would you suggest then? I'm 5'3 ...not exactly fat I'm just over 9 half stone.. I have healthy bmi & 19% body fat?

Eat close to maintenance and lift? You can't be serious with 700 calories.

Why can't I be serious...I don't get that hungry and the food I eat has hardly any calories....I'm not going to force myself to eat to reach a target.. some days I do have 1200 cals if I'm hungry

how are you measuring yourself to be 19% bodyfat?

The scales in the gym they measure weight hight bmi and body fat

They are typically not accurate.

Don't bother, @arditarose . You must have missed the closed Slendertone and Skinnymint threads.

Oh! I saw the skinny mint thing but didn't read.

She just got more and more irate and abusive because people were telling her it didn't work. Thread got closed shortly after she started calling people stupid fatties and assuming MFP must be mostly Americans because of how stupid we are to think detox tea doesn't work.

It was the highlight of my day.

Oh that's what I missed? I went back later in the day and was a little disappointed to see it was closed.

Could always open another for you

Then go ahead

What topic you want? Lmao
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well for a few days I've been eating about 700 cal...eating healthy food (fish, fruit veg etc ) and going the gym.. will this work? I don't need to really loose weight just have baby fat & need to tone up....

No, even toddlers need more calories than that. Seriously.

Also, you can't turn baby fat into toned muscle. That's not going to work either.
    Well what would you suggest then? I'm 5'3 ...not exactly fat I'm just over 9 half stone.. I have healthy bmi & 19% body fat?

Eat close to maintenance and lift? You can't be serious with 700 calories.

Why can't I be serious...I don't get that hungry and the food I eat has hardly any calories....I'm not going to force myself to eat to reach a target.. some days I do have 1200 cals if I'm hungry

You will continue to lose muscle by eating too few calories. Even if you lose weight on the scale you will appear less toned, less attractive. You will have low energy and poor strength. So no...what you have been doing won't satisfy your goals of toning up. Worst case scenario you will damage your body in ways that make it very difficult to repair your metabolism. Your own body affecting the correct functions of your major organs because it is starving is no joke.

You should be eating healthy foods at a maintenance level and combing strength training with moderate aerobic exercise. Eating most of your calories back so your body has the building blocks it needs to become healthy and toned.

Add a few nuts, avacado, peanut butter and some whole grains and it should be pretty easy to get those calories in. If you continue to have issues I would seek medical advice.
  • annied1961
    Options
    Eat, Breathe,Move!
    Eat healthier! Pick a Protein and a Carb for each meal.
    Breathe deeply!-get some oxygen in those lungs!
    Move your *kitten*!-the weight won't come off if you drive
    everywhere! Walk it off!
    Drink lots of water-leave the pop alone!!
    Now ask yourself...
    Do I want to be healthy and free?
    Then I will do the work to get there.
    Or is staying the same-the most comfortable,
    safer route to take?
    When you are sick and tired of being sick and tired
    you'll do the work!!
    Until then you'll keep eating all the extras!
    Think it thru!!!!!! :/
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I am going to reduce my calorie goal throughout the week, and increase it during the weekend so I can create a good deficit for my weekend eating :) THANK YOU :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    (seriously, I once had 4 lbs. of salad... as much salad as I had available... and was still hungry).
    I know what you mean.
    Salad is something i usually have as a "side dish"! It just isn't filling to me, no matter how much of it i ate.
    I eat all of my exercise calories (and still lost weight),....i couldn't manage on just 1200 cals. :/
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    (seriously, I once had 4 lbs. of salad... as much salad as I had available... and was still hungry).
    I know what you mean.
    Salad is something i usually have as a "side dish"! It just isn't filling to me, no matter how much of it i ate.
    I eat all of my exercise calories (and still lost weight),....i couldn't manage on just 1200 cals. :/

Don't be sad that you couldn't do 1200 cals per day. That's really low and hard to sustain. Eat more if you're hungry! Good luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Of course eating the amount of calories provided to me by MFP is fine because that number is calculated for me to lose when eating at that calorie number. So I know that what I'm doing is still fine.

The thing that bothers me, is that I always eat back ALL of my exercise calories; and if I don't exercise, I eat all of the calories originally allotted to me.

It's frustrating because I feel that I simply eat because I can. But I feel that often times I'm eating hundreds of calories of chocolate when I should cut it in half so I have a bigger deficit to spend on the weekend. I'd like to have a weekly deficit instead of doing what I usually do...eat right at my calorie goal for most of the week and then go over one or two days during the week.

Have you ever had this problem? Any tips are appreciated :)

Are you losing weight? If you are then you don't really have a problem. Keep doing what you are doing.
    The only reason to eat a bit below the calories given to you is if you want to account for overestimating calorie burn or underestimating calorie intake. If you are pretty accurate then you should not have an issue eating most or all of your calories.

You could just log half your exercise and eat the calorie number you are given. Same effect as logging all your exercise and eating half your exercise calories.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

Don't be sad that you couldn't do 1200 cals per day. That's really low and hard to sustain. Eat more if you're hungry! Good luck!
    Oh, i will! Lol
    I'm not sad, more annoyed that i have such a big appetite....always did, even as a kid!
    Oh well. ;)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.

Well, my point wasn't so much that it was salad, but just that I kep hearing "eat something that isn't so calorie dense so you can be full on fewer calories." That might work for some people, but not everyone. It didn't matter what I ate, whether it was pickles, pizza, salad, or watermelon; I could not feel satisfied unless I ate a certain number of calories. How much space those calories take up means nothing to some of us.
  • plutonianfrog
    Options
    Some foods are more filling than others, then eating a high-calorie food or take out will push you over fast.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.

Well, my point wasn't so much that it was salad, but just that I kep hearing "eat something that isn't so calorie dense so you can be full on fewer calories." That might work for some people, but not everyone. It didn't matter what I ate, whether it was pickles, pizza, salad, or watermelon; I could not feel satisfied unless I ate a certain number of calories. How much space those calories take up means nothing to some of us.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about that doesn't work for all of us:
    Some foods are more filling than others, then eating a high-calorie food or take out will push you over fast.