How do you manage your running pace?

Options
2»

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Y’all are hardcore. I haven’t done a long run in a while, but I never set my pace based on anything other than my level of comfort. If anything, I get a bit lazy on my 5k runs (been doing them about 4 times/week). It takes me about 28 minutes and the pace is comfortable enough that I can push myself to keep going when I feel fatigued/pain. I usually start fast, then slow down a bit as I realize that I’m not invincible, and I comfortably speed up towards the end as I get acclimated.

Really tempted by these fancy watches though :smile: .
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Y’all are hardcore. I haven’t done a long run in a while, but I never set my pace based on anything other than my level of comfort. If anything, I get a bit lazy on my 5k runs (been doing them about 4 times/week). It takes me about 28 minutes and the pace is comfortable enough that I can push myself to keep going when I feel fatigued/pain. I usually start fast, then slow down a bit as I realize that I’m not invincible, and I comfortably speed up towards the end as I get acclimated.

I think people are mostly talking about actual races rather than training runs. Generally, training runs are done at a much slower pace and any running that is done at 5K race pace is usually in the form of intervals. Very rarely, if ever, do most people just bust it all out for a training run.

As for the fancy watches, if you get one, you will never want to run without one :)
  • Emilia777
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

I think people are mostly talking about actual races rather than training runs. Generally, training runs are done at a much slower pace and any running that is done at 5K race pace is usually in the form of intervals. Very rarely, if ever, do most people just bust it all out for a training run.

As for the fancy watches, if you get one, you will never want to run without one :)

Of course, that makes sense. I haven’t done a race in ages, and when I did, I didn’t know what I was doing :smile: (it was just a charity 5k thing). It’s informative to see how people dedicated to running go about it, though. Not to derail the thread, but if you have recommendations for those watches, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’ve done some research into them and wrist HRMs are tricky.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    I think that really is every 5k regardless of whether or not you pace it. I am doing one in a couple weeks with the intention of hitting 17:00. I am sure I will go out at the goal pace on the first mile, but I am certain it will all come apart at the half way point as 5ks always do...

Ha, is there any other way to pace a 5k? I thought it was just "go out as fast as you can and try to hold on". I think my last 5k I went out at a 5:43 pace for the first mile and thought "oh. Oh no. That isn't good". And it wasn't. But then I'd rather run a 50k than a 5k.

OP I agree with the others. Race management is something you learn over time. Ideally, You'd start off strong, try to calm down and stabilize the middle of the race, then try to pick it up for the end.

Agreed 100% on the long distance... I hate 5ks. I wouldn't be running in it except my coach wants me to set a new PR.

I feel that. Its the same reason I'm running a 10k this weekend. I hate hate HATE that distance, but coach wants me to get comfortable mentally with running fast again before marathon training starts. Sigh.

Anyway, yes we are talking racing and not training. My regular 'easy run' pace is more between 8:10 and 9:30 miles, and I run the majority of my miles in that range. I will run at different paces based on what the point of the workout is. Some stuff is done at a 6 minute pace, some at 6:30, some at 7 etc. I have a Garmin FR610 for road stuff and a Fenix for long-distance trail running, and I love them both. I honestly might get the 610 again over the 620, if only because the 620 has a bunch of swimming features that I don't really need. If the 610 had a longer battery life, I'd use it for all my runs.
  • lporter229
    Options
    You're right, it is interesting to see the different perspective of those dedicated to running. I have been running for years, but did not get serious about race times and such until a few years ago. I would never have understood the rationale behind somebody finding it easier to race a marathon over a 5K. Now, not only do I get it, I completely agree.

There are several threads under the long distance runners group dedicated to GPS watch info. I personally have had 3 Garmin Forerunners and probably will never try anything else. I find the 220 model to be the one that will give you the best bang for the buck if you are using it solely for running. It has all of the basics that you will need. My husband has the 620, and it's nice, but I just don't think it's worth the extra $. If you are on a very tight budget, the Forerunner 10 will give you the info you need on pace, distance etc, but I'm pretty sure it does not have a HRM option. Sorry that I can't offer you any info on any other devices, I've just been a loyal Garmin user for too long. Hope this helps though.
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info, to both of you. And again, sorry to butt in - you’re all definitely in another league. I love running but never got as serious about it because of back/knee problems that doctors just prescribed painkillers for, and that recently went away (or at least improved) as I started strength training (go figure). But anyway, you’ve inspired me to look into this further, so thank you!
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It might sound silly, but ever since I gave myself mental "permission" to walk a handful of steps as needed during a race, I've set PRs for 5K, 10K, and 10 mile distances. I inevitably go out too fast, raise my heart rate too high, and need to take a tiny breather after the first couple miles. I find my finish times are slower when I don't take the breaks, so even though it's probably not the best strategy, it seems to work for me. I do use a Garmin Forerunner, but I can generally guesstimate my pace based on my perceived level of exertion.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info, to both of you. And again, sorry to butt in - you’re all definitely in another league. I love running but never got as serious about it because of back/knee problems that doctors just prescribed painkillers for, and that recently went away (or at least improved) as I started strength training (go figure). But anyway, you’ve inspired me to look into this further, so thank you!

LOl, just to set the record straight, I'm not in that league either. I am lucky if I can achieve a 6 min/mile pace, let alone sustain it. At any rate, that's the great thing about running. It's such a personal thing. My marathon pace may be a minute or two slower than the next guy's, but that doesn't mean we can't chat about things and learn from one another. We are all in it with the same goal, to achieve our own personal best. I am glad to hear that you are getting the running bug. I strongly encourage anyone interested to check out the long distance runners group. Lots of good info and experience there! Good luck to you.