What made you finally realize enough is enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• KingBoo10
    KingBoo10 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I saw the picture that I have as my display picture in an album and thought, "My god, how the hell did I let that happen to myself?". 24 pounds down and I'm at a bit of a stall right now, but I just keep working and hope to get the scale moving again.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was in Khols trying on clothes and everything that I tried on I hated. My stomach was showing too much and I decided I would do anything to not feel that way again. After trying and failing to really go anywhere I was back at another store trying on a dress for my military ball and my stomach was worse than before so I knew I had to get serious about getting in shape.
  • chboyer69
    chboyer69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I came to realize I was addicted to food. My husband had been addicted to alcohol and he quit (of course with help) and I felt that if he can control an addiction as strong as alcohol then I could do the same with food. With help I am getting my addiction under control and have lost 47 pounds so far and my husband has been alcohol free for 17 months. I am proud of him and of myself for kicking habits that almost killed us and our marriage.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I went to a wedding in September 2013 and saw this picture of my wife and I and thought,

"People must wonder what she's doing married to HIM!"

The second pictures are me now. 45 pounds lighter and been maintaining that for over a year. wce2phop7ty3.jpg
    t8dazj4jnz8a.jpg
    1hoq2kk5l3hi.jpg

• LosingitinLondon
    LosingitinLondon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There were lots of things... one of the biggest was that people on the tube kept offering me a seat because I looked pregnant! I got really sick of that and my first goal was just to stop it happening. And then once I started, I loved how much better I felt and looked, which is what motivates me to keep going
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I hit my "enough is enough moment" about 15 minutes ago. I completed a 15k with my husband (we did it as a walk/run) this past weekend, and the race pictures just came out. I was so excited to see them...until I saw them. I've been in such denial about my weight gain (+50 pounds since 2007), and the finish line picture was such an eyeopener. After a quick cry in my cubicle, I logged back on to this site and I'm recommitting to getting back my body.
  • want2behappy31
    want2behappy31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My moment was last month when my husband was being funny and taking pictures of me. When he showed them to me on the his phone I made him delete all of them and went to the bathroom and cried. I know that I'm not skinny however seeing those pictures (I was only in a sports bar & shorts) were an eye opener. I saw every single fat roll on my body for what felt like the first time. I've always hated my body but looking in the mirror then I knew that I had to take back my body if I ever want to love myself.
  • melanie899
    melanie899 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think, for me, I was just ready this time. I was in my chiropractor's office and he was mentioning (nicely) that If I lost some weight my back would feel better.
    My initial response was...'yeah yeah...I know'. But something was different this time when I left his office. The next day I logged into MFP after a long haitus. I've
    been faithful since :) I'm more determined than I ever was before. I modified my diet in a way that I never would have thought I'd be able to do it if I tried it
    before. Here's to success for all of us!
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A major heartburn attack and unable to fit clothes I wore just six months ago. A general sense of unwellness too. And the thought that I live in an area where I have access to probably some of the best food in the world and I'm eating crap ...why?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It was a combination of things... One big item was noticing that I was winded walking up the stairs and up inclined sidewalk on my dog walks. That's already fixed.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    A car accident and scoliosis left me with spinal and nerve damage. Being fat puts unnecessary strain on my back. Despite bad advice and a few pill pushing docs, I'm off any pain meds, work out everyday with a break here and there and down a total of 50, 21 since here, 20ish to go. Final straw was being on vacation and being in too much pain to enjoy myself, and just drinking and eating and hating everything.
  • cattt892003
    cattt892003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a diabetic since i was 24 and am now 49. I have been on two types of insulin and metformin 3 times a day. I am in menopause and know that once i hit to 50 my metabolism will bottom. I was sick of being a human pin cushion. I started a life modification lifestyle. I have lost 21 pounds so far. But my real goal was to get off of my insulin. I no longer am taking my daily insulin an am taking 50 u of my Lantus, down from 100u a day. I love carbs but i love not being a human pin cushion even more. Good luck on your life style change. Remember one day at a time. If you slide, get back on and don't beat yourself over it. We didn't get here in one day so we can't reverse everything in one day either!
  • Marlymama
    Marlymama Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A woman from church had a stoke and passed away, she was 42, only 1 year younger than me. We were shaped very similarly and I'm actually heavier than she was. She left 4 children behind which is what I have and her youngest was 10, same age as my youngest. My mom died at 56 after having complications from several small strokes and I just saw myself following in her footsteps and potentially leaving my children behind and it broke my heart. One day I woke up in the middle of the night with the overwelming feeling that I would die or I change. I knew I needed to correct the past 43 years of my bad eating habits and poor excercise effort with a healthy lifestyle so I have many more years with my family. Enough is enough and I deserve better <3
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy for about twenty years now. It's been making me miserable for a long time, especially as until I hit my mid 20's I was skinny. I decided to take thing seriously when I managed to lose ten pounds and suddenly could fit into a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to wear for nearly ten years. Sometimes a small success can motivate you to reach for bigger victories.