yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Run a half marathon :)
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much slow running in place approximately burns?

Running burns about .63 calories per pound of weight, per mile. It will be a little more if you're running uphill or you have a headwind, and a little less if you have a tailwind or you're running downhill (to a certain point, on steep hills, you will actually burn more calories running downhill than on a flat surface).

Burning 1000 calories from exercise per day will require a few hours of medium to high intensity exercise. Consider that if you weight 120 lbs, running a full marathon will burn about 1980 calories. So the person who said "Run a half marathon" wasn't too far off.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Go on a 10 mile hike with 2000+ feet of vertical gain. Low intensity, fun and will get your burn. It'll take you 5-6 hours though.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, I mean the MFP calorie estimation, which is higher than the real calories I read here several times. Also, many machines like ellipticals in the gym overestimate "real" calorie burn. In addition, I thought that even the calories given by HR monitors etc. are not the real ones because you have to substract your BMR calories tha you would use for the time you exercise (or am I wrong?). EG if you are running for an hour and let's say your HRM says 1000 cal , that does only mean that you have burnt 1000 cal minus the amount your body would have needed for that time to sustain his life functions anyway (BMR:24 hours). EG if your BMR is 1200 you would have to substract 50 calories from the 1000 to get your "real" extra calories burn. Or am I wrong with that?

That's not how I do it at all. I use a heart rate monitor when I work out which tells me how many calories I've burned. It's as accurate a measurement as I'm going to get. I put the exercise into MFP and it adds the cals to my goal for the day. That's how MFP is designed to work. I think if you were using a TDEE method or whatever yes you would have to adjust but I do not. It's pretty straightforward.

Also, I would never get anywhere close to 1000 calories in an hour of running. But I'm short and pretty light.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would like to work off some overeating and see whether I can make this challenge. It is not intended for everyday! I am in the mood for sports, too. I should maybe add that I prefer doing long low intensity over any high intensity hardcore stuff...
    Many thanks for all of your help again! By the way-do you all have trackers? If so which ones?

You can't out-exercise a poor diet OP. It's just not a good idea.

And your understanding of HRM's are off. MFP doesn't always overestimate your burns either. You really have to do a guess and check for accuracy. Which means over time you would see if you are losing/gaining/maintaining weight by eating back the calories stated by your chosen method.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So do you guys recommend HR monitors? If so-which brands? Or would you recommend fitbits (I heard they are less accurate for exercise though)? How many of your exercise calories are you eating back? 100%? Or less?Or are you using the TDEE method on MFP?
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    I know it is not the wholy way to work off a poor diet...but I am not going to be perfect. I am just a woman who loves eating and sports and tries to find her way...and if it is like that for a day or so it is fine for me. As I already wrote: I would not exercise if I would feel exhausted or geeting overexercised! Do you guys prefer to exercise at your limits?
    Many thanks again for all your suggestions and advice! So far, I still have the goal to exercise as much as possible today to make up for my calories and see how far I can go (with that 1000 "real" calories through "fun" exercise in mind)! Any support herein would be very appreciated!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I think you are missing the point we are trying to make though. Unless you are trained to the point that you can easily exercise continuously for 3ish hours, someone your size is not going to be able to kill 1000 calories from exercising.

That sort of thing is easy for me - it is common for me to kill 1500/day through training. However I have been at it for YEARS. Most people, when they hear what I do every single day get exhausted just listening.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Many thanks also for the great link with the exercise calculators!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I am usually very active. So I guess I could give that burn a try. If it gets too exhausting I would stop of course, because I am an "only for pleasure" exerciser...

Only for pleasure or to purge excess calories, you mean.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    jabx1962 wrote: »
    12 -3 Minute rounds of Boxing on a heavy bag....1 minute active rest between rounds....works for me..

I highly doubt this
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I'm sorry - what do you mean by "real calories" ? Are there other kinds of calories out there? Also, you can get a HRM for about $30 on Amazon, I love mine.

I took it to mean her actual burn, not the machine's readout or MFP over-estimation.

Ah. Well, she's saying she would burn 2000, 1000 of which are "real." I know MFP isn't super accurate, but it's not off by 50%.

Based on how people use it, it's been known to be off by more than that. I've seen numbers literally 10x what they should be.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm larger than you but 90 minutes of Zumba would get me around 1,000. I burn between 650-850 in my hour class according to my hr fitbit.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    I can exercse many hours a day, I have an excellent body fat percentage and apart from a well muscled body a lot of "ground level" stamina. No point for me to do a 8h uphill hike or to walk 4 hours in a row fast. I am though not a 3 hour sprint runner. But I can easily fit in 8 hours of low impact exercise a day I guess. So I am NOT untrained. I do sports almost every day for severa hours.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Thank you crystal. What is a heart rate fitbit? I heard that zumba burns quite a lot...maybe worth trying it out!!
  • glevinso
    Options
    I can exercse many hours a day, I have an excellent body fat percentage and apart from a well muscled body a lot of "ground level" stamina. No point for me to do a 8h uphill hike or to walk 4 hours in a row fast. I am though not a 3 hour sprint runner. But I can easily fit in 8 hours of low impact exercise a day I guess. So I am NOT untrained. I do sports almost every day for severa hours.

You might need to be a bit more specific here. If you are "excellent body fat percentage" then why are you worrying about one day of over eating? Everybody does that.

Not sure what you mean by "3 hour sprint runner" or you can easily fit in 8 hours....

None of this post I am quoting makes any sense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

so now we have a "recreational pleasure exerciser"

and "ground stamina"

Color me interested.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Then you shouldn't be worried about your excess cals today. You are so lucky to have 8 hours to fit in exercise though.

What is "ground level" stamina? What is your bf %?

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am confused. I think others are too. Let's take a step backwards and see if we can piece this together.

OP, you are concerned because you exceeded your calories today? By 1000?

What is your calorie level set at? How big of a deficit is that? What is your goal (lose weight? how much? how fast?)

What is your normal exercise? You said things like "pleasure exerciser" and "you can fit in 8 hours/day of low impact exercise" and "I do sports almost every day for several hours". So how many calories do you normally burn and how are you calculating those?

Can you open your diary?
  • glevinso
    Options
    I hate to use the "T" word here... but...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Go build a house for about 8 hours! That burned me 1200 calories one time.