How can I burn 1000 (real) calories today

Options

Replies

• Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how much slow running in place approximately burns?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If you are talking "low intensity" be prepared to spend 3 or 4 hours working on that 1000...
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    I would like to work off some overeating and see whether I can make this challenge. It is not intended for everyday! I am in the mood for sports, too. I should maybe add that I prefer doing long low intensity over any high intensity hardcore stuff...
    Many thanks for all of your help again! By the way-do you all have trackers? If so which ones?

I have a Polar HT4 and oops! Sorry, it was not $30, I paid $55 for it. Worth it, though.
  • jabx1962
    jabx1962 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    12 -3 Minute rounds of Boxing on a heavy bag....1 minute active rest between rounds....works for me..
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally do that insensity of physical activity...i.e. regularly run or bike long distances in short times, I'd say it's a bad idea to try to burn 2000 calories in one shot. A really bad idea.
  • heatherflak
    heatherflak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day is about 800 calories
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    jabx1962 wrote: »
    12 -3 Minute rounds of Boxing on a heavy bag....1 minute active rest between rounds....works for me..

36 mins burns 1000 cals?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively lightweight female person (5'4", 126lbs) and I don't think I would burn anywhere near 1000 calories running 10 miles.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I'm sorry - what do you mean by "real calories" ? Are there other kinds of calories out there? Also, you can get a HRM for about $30 on Amazon, I love mine.

I took it to mean her actual burn, not the machine's readout or MFP over-estimation.
  • JenMaselli
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm a relatively lightweight female person (5'4", 126lbs) and I don't think I would burn anywhere near 1000 calories running 10 miles.

I'm 5'3" and hover between 130-134 and I burn almost 100 calories per mile.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

I highly doubt this
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Don't try and burn off a bad day. Chalk it up to experience.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    I would like to work off some overeating and see whether I can make this challenge. It is not intended for everyday! I am in the mood for sports, too. I should maybe add that I prefer doing long low intensity over any high intensity hardcore stuff...
    Many thanks for all of your help again! By the way-do you all have trackers? If so which ones?

work off overeating by burning a 1000 calories. hmmm

• JenMaselli
    Options
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I'm sorry - what do you mean by "real calories" ? Are there other kinds of calories out there? Also, you can get a HRM for about $30 on Amazon, I love mine.

I took it to mean her actual burn, not the machine's readout or MFP over-estimation.

Ah. Well, she's saying she would burn 2000, 1000 of which are "real." I know MFP isn't super accurate, but it's not off by 50%.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Yes, I mean the MFP calorie estimation, which is higher than the real calories I read here several times. Also, many machines like ellipticals in the gym overestimate "real" calorie burn. In addition, I thought that even the calories given by HR monitors etc. are not the real ones because you have to substract your BMR calories tha you would use for the time you exercise (or am I wrong?). EG if you are running for an hour and let's say your HRM says 1000 cal , that does only mean that you have burnt 1000 cal minus the amount your body would have needed for that time to sustain his life functions anyway (BMR:24 hours). EG if your BMR is 1200 you would have to substract 50 calories from the 1000 to get your "real" extra calories burn. Or am I wrong with that?
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    I am usually very active. So I guess I could give that burn a try. If it gets too exhausting I would stop of course, because I am an "only for pleasure" exerciser...
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I highly doubt this

Yeah that's doubtful. Takes me an hour of boxing to hit just under 1,000 cals. And that's with mfp estimations, which I heard are a little high...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    By a bicycle. Ride it for a couple hours at a fast pace.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Only a pleasure exerciser? What is that?

well I'm pretty sure I have an idea- but I don't think it's the same one as the person who posted.