Smoking Vs stamina

Options

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much money is made helping people "quit" smoking! Now the vapes are raking in the dough, along with the nicorette and patch people.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I quit cold Turkey, unlike my addiction to cold Turkey which was a lot more complicated! I'm just f*cking with ya. Get Vaping my friend. It will save your life.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    ShayanKhan2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks to every one here, to be honest I failed once now trying again ..
  • jlhudsons
    jlhudsons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I slowly cut down using e-cigarettes. Then the best man at our wedding got lung cancer. YES he was a smoker. We watched him die slowly. Every time we went to see him it was awful. He finally died at the age of only 49. It was devastating, especially for my hubby since he was friends with him since they were just young teens. After that, I put them down and the e-cig too. Once in a while when I am feeling weak, I may hit it but very rarely and after a time, you won`t even think about cigarettes. BUT, are you trying to lose weight and quit smoking? NOT a good idea. QUIT first. You will gain some weight and when you level off, THEN go for the diet. I say diet, but with myfitnesspal, you can eat pretty much what you want and just count your calories. I have lost 14 pounds in about 3 months. I feel so good! NO cigs, no cig smell on me or my clothes, no spending TOO MUCH on cigs and feeling much better. Good luck !
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,469 Member
    Options
    after years of trying different methods, i went cold turkey and it has worked.

yes, i'll still end up having a cigarette like, once a month, but that doesn't make me a smoker again. in fact, it just pretty much reaffirms my desire to not smoke anymore.

what finally got me to kick the habit was that it was effecting my endurance training. i could put in the miles on the road or the time in the pool that i wanted to. i had been cutting back a lot, but then just stopped.

some tips:
    -set a date to quit. make it say, may 1st. plenty of time to quit. quit no matter how many you actually have left. having a few left in a pack might be a good thing, as it'll be a mental thing, being able to tell yourself "if i really want one, i can have one. it's right there in my coat pocket... but i'll have one later."

-tell everyone you're quitting. co-workers, ppl on social media. make it a known thing so they can help you stay accountable.

-start cutting back. you can restrict your time of smoking (say 9am-5pm) and every day that window gets smaller. or you can say that this week only 6 cigarettes a day... next week 5... etc.

when you do quit, do not feel bad if you slip up and have a cigarette. but don't let it get out of control. also, spend this time figuring out what triggers you to have a smoke. is it something stressful? is it the association with sex, food, coffee? could be a lot of different things, and try and find ways to replace a cigarette with something else.

My husband was a smoker and did all of this to quit. He quit cold turkey too and gives this same advice to people
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I'm going to charge up my vape-r. I bought it a while back, I quit smoking with Chantix but I stopped taking it too early and resumed smoking about a year later. I tried the e-cigs but I didn't like it, but I'm going to make more of an effort now.

Mostly my Chantix dreams were weird and off-putting, but I did have one where I moved into a treehouse that had a bar and a mall and a football stadium and a closet full of kittens.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Do you want to quit? If so, you will. I read the Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book when I was ready and it worked like a charm. I didn't even finish the book. I have never looked back and I don't miss it.

THIS! I read this book, went cold turkey and never looked back. That was over 5 years ago and was the best move I ever made. I had been a very heavy smoker for almost 50 years when I quit...more than 2 packs a day. I was 62 when I quit...if I could do it, you most certainly can.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much money is made helping people "quit" smoking! Now the vapes are raking in the dough, along with the nicorette and patch people.

And the tobacco companies are SO MAD that they didn't think of it first!

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    After 15 years I finally succeeded when I started looking at quitting like a skill that I needed to learn. Then instead of "failures that were best forgotten" I had "opportunities to learn something about what makes me tick."

Practice, and keep practicing. You'll figure it out.

What helped me a lot, specifically, was making little rules like, "I can't smoke for at least an hour after eating." Because those were times where it was a major habit, and it was easy to put it off for an hour because I knew it wasn't going to be forever. It's just an hour, no big deal, yet it had the effect of learning how to put those impulses to the side so they don't affect me.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I smoked for about 35 years. I tried to quit several times, the longest one being about 6 months, but always started again. A little over 2 years ago I had a heart attack that I almost didn't survive (I met the EMT's later and they told me they didn't think I would make it).

Now, I just keep telling myself that the next one will be the one that finishes me off.

I don't recommend waiting as long as I did.

Good Luck!
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    What are chantix and vaping and how they are used and let me know of other tools too which can be used ..
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What are chantix and vaping and how they are used and let me know of other tools too which can be used ..

Chantix is a medication that makes you enjoy smoking less, and vaping is the use of electronic cigarettes.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options

Chantix is a medication that makes you enjoy smoking less, and vaping is the use of electronic cigarettes.

Thanx dear ..
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The next time you have a cold and your throat is raw and cigarette smoke smells like an electrical fire, and you really don't like that awful smell, just don't smoke that morning. Then don't smoke the rest of the day. You won't miss it that day. Hopefully, you will be sick for a couple of more days during which time it is not hard to resist that sickening burning electrical fire smell. After 2-3 days of no smoking, it will be so much easier not to smoke. You'll still have to pay attention to triggers, the times when you habitually light up, but it really only takes a few days of cold turkey to greatly diminish the addiction. Cold turkey for a few days and you're over the worst of it. It helps if you're sick, but you can do it otherwise. That's how I quit over 30 years ago and haven't had a cigarette since and almost never wanted one after a few days. Once you start to get physically fit, and enjoying your new found lung capacity, you will never want to go back.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

C'mon mate read a book. If you are interested in quitting something that is potentially killing you then at least take the time to meet us half way and do a bit of research.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There's a book by Allen Carr called THE EASY WAY TO QUIT SMOKING. I've heard a lot of very good things about it. I was an on again, off again smoker for about 30 years, and I finally quit for good about 10 years ago when I had pneumonia. My lungs felt way too fragile for smoking after that.

I was a smoker for 30 years, too. Quit Feb 5, 2012 and never looked back. I also highly recommend Allen Carr's book. It gives you the mindset to quit.
    Quitting is something you need to plan to be successful--your method for example. Are you going to quit cold turkey? Using nicotine replacement (I used nicorette gum for the first 5 months). Medication like Wellbutrin or Champix? Once you decide that, do as much reading as you can on nicotine addiction. To succeed, your mindset must be positive--if you believe you can do it, you will. Try to get off the smokes my dear...you deserve so much better.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Vaping is smoking an electronic cigarette. It is a battery attached to an atomizer filled with liquid. Instead of actual smoke, it produces vapor. You still get the nicotine and the sensation of smoking, but instead of thousands of ingredients and chemicals like cigarettes have, the e-juice is made of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and flavoring. The e-juice comes in various nicotine levels and just about every flavor imaginable. It's proven to be perfectly safe (I recently read an article that ultimately stated that the vapor contains as many carcinogens as air. I'll see if I can find the link) and has helped a ton of people quit smoking.
  • ShayanKhan2015
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your inputs and I feel like you all are my family supporting and encouraging me in a cause. After every 18 or plus hours I breakdown and go for one because my resistance level is not enough still trying let's see what happens ..
  • AntsyAngler
    AntsyAngler Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am on day 11 of vaping. I can run better than when I was smoking cigarettes. I hope to gradually reduce the nicotine levels over the next few months until I am at zero nicotine. Also, avoiding alcohol completely helps with vaping or cold turkey.
  • usmanab89
    usmanab89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Man it will be hard dedication bruhhhh that's all it takes after effects would be insane man you are making me remember them dark days