How to eat better foods that you really cant afford? (here is a before during and current picture)

Options
Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read this. I have no idea how to eat better.. all i know is that I log everything I eat on MFP and stay under my calorie intake BUT I am still eating what I was all my life, just smaller more controlled portions and got up and active. How do I get rid of the bad fat and carbs, when most of the house food consists of crap food to get us all by, from pay check to pay check. Now here is the best part, whatever I have done has been working except I have kinda hit the No more loosing weight part. I went from 231 pounds down to 193. I still need to loose 40 more, I also started a gym today.

0oi9hz0x2ljv.jpg
Soooo now what???

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What is your question?

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Linnea1972 wrote: »
    How do I get rid of the bad fat and carbs

And what might these be OP?
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A lot of people hit this wall eventually. Especially losing a decent amount quickly. The best thing to do would be get a little bit stricter with your diet and change your work out routines to target differently
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think she wants to know how to buy healthier foods for less money. Do you have an Aldi nearby you? I just got home from shopping there and I was able to get 1 pound of baby carrots for $.49, eight ounces of mushrooms for $.69, A three pack of fresh huge green peppers for $1.19. I try and eat fresh produce every week that is on sale. Yesterday I bought a pint of strawberries for $.99 at another grocery store.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you eat and purchase now?
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    How long have you not lost weight?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. You are practicing moderation, you're logging, you're losing weight and exercising. These are all good things.

In regards to not losing weight:
    How long has it been since you last lost weight?
    Do you weigh your food?
    When was the last time you recalculated your calorie goal?
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! No reason to cut any foods out! You're doing it right! Calories in vs. calories out...no magic number you need to watch when it comes to carbs or anything else unless you have a medical condition. Keep an eye on your macros...make sure you are getting enough protein.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I live in a household where everyone eats junk except me. In fact, my husband is trying to gain weight (he can totally have mine!). It's all about moderation. The only thing new I'm buying is extra lettuce and a few more veggies to snack on. Our weekly grocery bill has not changed. I'd say change up your workout a bit and make sure you are accurately logging everything. You shouldn't have to cut out carbs in order to keep losing. Some people do and it works for them, but it isn't absolutely necessary
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I sympathize with you, I really do. I hate when people say oh it costs the same to eat healthy as it does not to. What crap! I go to the store and I can get 3 boxes of generic Mac&Cheese for $1, or 1 bell pepper IF it's on sale. Feed 4 people 3 meals, or one person gets a snack. I live in a very small town and even if I drive an hour to a bigger one there's only a few grocery options. For us the only way to really eat healthy was to put in a garden, which isn't an option for everyone. Other than that, I always watch for sales.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    What comes to my mind is to replace some carbs/fat with more veggies.
    This helped me to keep full while using less rice/pasta/etc...
    A plateau is frustrating but stick with it and keep a good calorie deficit.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I sympathize with you, I really do. I hate when people say oh it costs the same to eat healthy as it does not to. What crap! I go to the store and I can get 3 boxes of generic Mac&Cheese for $1, or 1 bell pepper IF it's on sale.

What does the bell pepper have to do with anything? You can get real rice, real lentils for less than you're paying for the nutritional wasteland known as boxed mac&cheese.

Cheap, and super easy to "cook".
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Farmer's market is always a great idea, they are completely organic and pretty cheap!! You get a nice walking exercise outside too while shopping. Trader Joe's have great items for good prices and Costco's produces are better than Sam's if you're buying in bulk.

Portion control and switching to more vegetables and whole grain is key
  • Linnea1972
    Linnea1972 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Going back a bit, I started in July and before I guess I did eat "out" more than I do now. I eat norm foods, eggs, milk, beef, pork, chicken, NO fish, I don't like fish. I do have pizza sometimes. Cut most of my pepsie out of oft he picture. I do still have 1/2 glass every now and then. Just when we shop I mostly buy for eveyone else here, make sure they all have lunch for the week, thier junk. For lunch today I made do with a flour Tortilla with some cheddar cheese.
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You are doing what you should be, eating smaller portions. Are you wanting to eat more healthy over all? My suggestion on eating better foods would be to look for sales and plan meals based on the healthier foods on sale. Buy as many fruits and veggies as your budget will allow, THEN get lean meats. Include things like Fiberone snacks as a snack during your day. Some are only 90 calories and they taste really good.
    As far as the plateau you've hit, try adjusting your calorie goals on MFP. Put in the weight you are now and see if the adjustment it gives you for your calorie intake makes an impact. If it doesn't, do an adjustment with a greater weight loss goal. Only 1/2 to 1 lb should do.

Good luck. Hope you are able to get healthier foods into your diet. It's really hard, I know. Especially when the rest of the household isn't on board.
  • lizek316
    lizek316 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    I think she wants to know how to buy healthier foods for less money. Do you have an Aldi nearby you? I just got home from shopping there and I was able to get 1 pound of baby carrots for $.49, eight ounces of mushrooms for $.69, A three pack of fresh huge green peppers for $1.19. I try and eat fresh produce every week that is on sale. Yesterday I bought a pint of strawberries for $.99 at another grocery store.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what you eat and purchase now?

Yes this too. Aldi and other stores have produce for less. And it's usually fresh. I HAVE been to some Aldi's that either didn't have that fresh of certain produce or it had been picked over already.
  • Linnea1972
    Options
    Just recently added working out to my daily plan, today was first day. So maybe I just need that little bit more to kick start loosing again.
    And yes maybe that's what I'm asking,
    How to learn to shop for myself while shopping for others, when for so long I've shopped the same way......
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yes to Aldi, no to farmers' markets for saving money. (At least here in Northern Va., where farmers' markets charge $5 for a dozen eggs and $6 for a loaf of bread.) Buy bagged apples, potatoes, peppers to save money. A tortilla with cheddar cheese isn't bad for lunch - next time toss in some thinly sliced peppers and jalapenos. Great job on your progress so far!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I sympathize with you, I really do. I hate when people say oh it costs the same to eat healthy as it does not to. What crap! I go to the store and I can get 3 boxes of generic Mac&Cheese for $1, or 1 bell pepper IF it's on sale.

What does the bell pepper have to do with anything? You can get real rice, real lentils for less than you're paying for the nutritional wasteland known as boxed mac&cheese.

Cheap, and super easy to "cook".

For real. Bag of lentils: 89 cents. Bag of rice? What? $2.00?

And how many meals is that compared to boxed mac and cheese?

And yes, while red bell peppers might be sometimes expensive, not all produce is. Look in the front of the produce department for that week's loss leaders. They will be on sale that week, sometimes with coupons. Frozen vegetables are VERY inexpensive and just as nutritious as fresh.

• Linnea1972
    Options
    I'm reading as fast as I can type! ! Lol yes yes yes to all... and thank u all very much!
    I'll have this boat body soon! Lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! I don't think you have to change what you are doing.

Here's how you slowly build a food budget.
    Pick one grocery store that consistently has the lowest price.
    Watch the sales and coupon deals.
    Stock up on a staple item when it is on sale. Put the savings aside for the next big deal.
    Pick cheaper forms of the same food. For instance I buy dried beans and chickpeas and prepare them myself. They last just as long.
    Or buy canned tomatoes and prepare your own spaghetti sauce.
    Buy vegetables in season and on sale, just what you can eat that week.
    Or buy frozen vegetables to have on hand in a pinch.
    With your savings fund stock up at big sales.

You may also check out food coops or community kitchens in your area.