How to eat better foods that you really cant afford? (here is a before during and current picture)

Options

Replies

• lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We replaced a lot of our junk foods with vegetables and our grocery budget never got bigger. We just buy what's on sale and get creative. Frozen veggies are still good for you too and we get them at the dollar store for a huge bag! Also there is a litle discount store by us that sells reject shipments and some goods past the "best by" date (most things are still good for months after the supermarket pulls them). Just so long as we can freeze it or use it right away we get top knotch whole foods and sprouts health and food products for up to 80 percent off its awesome! Maybe there is one by your city you can google. As far as other eaters in the house (and I'm the one that cooks all the meals in mine) I just explained I'm going to eat healthier and if I'm cooking your gonna eat healthy with me or you're going to learn to cook your own meals. So now we all eat healthy and are much better off for it! My fiance likes eating the way we do now better than we were before!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I skipped all the other comments, but I have a feeling that if you can afford a gym membership, you can probably afford to replace some of your current grocery items (what you may feel as junk or unhealthy) with frozen veggies and learn to cook using recipes online. Also, if you are interested, making a weekly menu and a weekly grocery list for that menu can save money too, as you're only buying the things that you need. If there is a farmers market nearby, they have really awesome deals on veggies in season. :smile: Blanching and freezing seasonal veggies and freezing in season fruit is a great way to save money.
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    realia wrote: »
    I absolutely CANNOT stand when people say that buying healthier "clean" foods is cheaper (or cost the same) than buying reg grocery foods, because this isn't true for everybody. When you're 21, living near a pretty expensive NYC area, and don't have a car, you're reduced to buying things like $5 gallon of milk, $7 carton of eggs, a really small box of cereal for $5.75, olive oil for $10 etc, etc. By the time I get the basic necessities, my bill is already $250-$300 for ONE week's worth of food.

What I started doing is picking 2-3 staple veggies and fruits that I like and seeing if they're on sale in bulk or I buy them frozen. Then I pick the cheapest chicken breasts (the cheapest I can find near me is about $3 and are usually super thin but I deal), a packet of turkey burgers, and/or a fish. Then I add, wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, and/or cereal (which last me like 2-3 wks so I don't buy them every week). I find recipes online that contain whatever I bought and I improvise. I also buy milk, cheese, and a big tube of Greek yogurt (these usually last me about 2 wks as well) The bill comes up to about $100-$150 depending per week. Stock up on canned foods as well just in case. If I run out of food AND money, then I just get creative with whatever is left in my fridge.

Most of my dinner meals are vegetables with some kind of lean meat and sometimes with a little bit of starch (brown rice or pasta). Lunch I usually have a turkey burger or a sandwich or salad. Breakfast is usually cereal, eggs, or oatmeal. Snacks are usually greek yogurt with fruit and/or nuts.

Also, lentils for 89 cents?? Where the hell do you people live? Cause I'm moving!

I'm sorry but I'm not even sure where you are getting those numbers from 250-300 dollars a week in food for just yourself? $7 for 1 carton of eggs, you drink 1 gallon of milk a week? A "small" box of cereal for almost 6 bucks? Really? Are you buying some special pope blessed olive oil? And every week? I know you wanted to get your point across that it's expensive to live In NYC but to say that you are exaggerating is an under statement. Then you went ahead and said what you eat and nothing on that list would add up to what you said. You questioned the lentil price but how much are you paying? $22?
    I'm not saying they may not be exaggerating, but as another person who used to live in a big city, it is damn expensive. It was $11 for ONE PACK of Marlboro cigarettes (I no longer smoke), $5 for a gallon of milk isn't unheard of. Where I live now a gallon of milk is $2.99. It obviously depends where you shop, if you live on a campus they bend you over at the campus store or if you get groceries at a convenience mart its more. But $4.99 for a "regular" size box of name brand cereal is in the realm of possibility,and it doesn't even have to be blessed by the pope (though that might help justify the price). Glad I moved to Colorado its so much cheaper for food out here!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lilbea89 wrote: »
    I absolutely CANNOT stand when people say that buying healthier "clean" foods is cheaper (or cost the same) than buying reg grocery foods, because this isn't true for everybody. When you're 21, living near a pretty expensive NYC area, and don't have a car, you're reduced to buying things like $5 gallon of milk, $7 carton of eggs, a really small box of cereal for $5.75, olive oil for $10 etc, etc. By the time I get the basic necessities, my bill is already $250-$300 for ONE week's worth of food.

What I started doing is picking 2-3 staple veggies and fruits that I like and seeing if they're on sale in bulk or I buy them frozen. Then I pick the cheapest chicken breasts (the cheapest I can find near me is about $3 and are usually super thin but I deal), a packet of turkey burgers, and/or a fish. Then I add, wheat bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, and/or cereal (which last me like 2-3 wks so I don't buy them every week). I find recipes online that contain whatever I bought and I improvise. I also buy milk, cheese, and a big tube of Greek yogurt (these usually last me about 2 wks as well) The bill comes up to about $100-$150 depending per week. Stock up on canned foods as well just in case. If I run out of food AND money, then I just get creative with whatever is left in my fridge.

Most of my dinner meals are vegetables with some kind of lean meat and sometimes with a little bit of starch (brown rice or pasta). Lunch I usually have a turkey burger or a sandwich or salad. Breakfast is usually cereal, eggs, or oatmeal. Snacks are usually greek yogurt with fruit and/or nuts.

Also, lentils for 89 cents?? Where the hell do you people live? Cause I'm moving!

I'm sorry but I'm not even sure where you are getting those numbers from 250-300 dollars a week in food for just yourself? $7 for 1 carton of eggs, you drink 1 gallon of milk a week? A "small" box of cereal for almost 6 bucks? Really? Are you buying some special pope blessed olive oil? And every week? I know you wanted to get your point across that it's expensive to live In NYC but to say that you are exaggerating is an under statement. Then you went ahead and said what you eat and nothing on that list would add up to what you said. You questioned the lentil price but how much are you paying? $22?
    I'm not saying they may not be exaggerating, but as another person who used to live in a big city, it is damn expensive. It was $11 for ONE PACK of Marlboro cigarettes (I no longer smoke), $5 for a gallon of milk isn't unheard of. Where I live now a gallon of milk is $2.99. It obviously depends where you shop, if you live on a campus they bend you over at the campus store or if you get groceries at a convenience mart its more. But $4.99 for a "regular" size box of name brand cereal is in the realm of possibility,and it doesn't even have to be blessed by the pope (though that might help justify the price). Glad I moved to Colorado its so much cheaper for food out here!
    Yes I know the price of the milk is common. But to go and list all those other things at those price then to say you buy all of those things every week is exaggerated. That whole small box of cereal is not true. I live in NYC and know very well that stuff is expensive, but not to the numbers she states.

Even at $5.00/gallon for milk, a serving size is 1 cup. How much can 1 person be eating in one week. I will never be convinced that it costs more for healthy food. I have been doing this (MFP) for 3 years. I have been married for almost 40 years and grocery shopping and cooking for a very long time. I know for a fact that I am spending less on groceries and food now than I was 3 years ago. Eating correct portion sizes. Buying oatmeal, dry beans, lentils, rice, etc, fresh produce and meat. We are eating less food. Seldom going out for a meal. It can be done, and cheaper if you take the time and make it a priority. Shop, prep, cook on weekends, or days off, and package food for the coming week. Freeze or refrigerate. I have no problem with spoilage. It takes time, but aren't we worth it?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It's not more expensive to eat healthier. It usually just takes more planning. Look to non meat sources of protein. Dried beans, lentils, split peas etc.... to help bulk up your diet. The upside of eatning this way is you can usually eat more 'volume' to help with satiety. And, if you have an Aldi nearby, check it out! It's where I do my primary shopping.

Congrats on the weight loss, you look great!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Mail order a 50 pound bag of rice and some beans. HELLA cheaper than $300 a week, simple, convenient - you don't even leave the house (it's delivered) and lasts *months*, not a week, right?

Be smart, mmm-kay?

(BTW - I just saved you thousands of $$$ a year. You're welcome. )

I'm not big on rice, but I have at least 8 or 10 meals a week based on the Black Beans.

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on rice, but I have at least 8 or 10 meals a week based on the Black Beans.

OT- but I'd like to know some of the recipes you use.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I very much like black beans done up hot like in a soup or chili.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think Canadian food prices are higher because of greater transportation costs and the distance to (some) fresh produce. $5 for 4L of milk is not uncommon. I've seen boxed cereals for $6. I buy oatmeal. Not in the little packets, either.

I agree our grocery bill came down chiefly because we are eating reasonable portions. There's fewer snack foods in the house, and home cooking is way cheaper than eating out.

Since a meal for four may be extended to dinner for two and a couple lunches, some meals come out to $1 a plate. I bought one onion for a dollar, but it made four dinners.

Another trick I learned is not to skimp on the cheese. I bought a hard, aged cheese in the parmesan family from the deli counter, and grate it using my finest grater. I use a fraction of the cheese with just as much taste.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    lilbea89 wrote: »

Yes I know the price of the milk is common. But to go and list all those other things at those price then to say you buy all of those things every week is exaggerated. That whole small box of cereal is not true. I live in NYC and know very well that stuff is expensive, but not to the numbers she states.

I live in a town much smaller than NYC, but we have a University here and several places that cater to the student population downtown. There is a convenient store that sells things that most people would just get at the grocery store and they put a huge markup on them. That little pack of Ramen noodles that you can get for less than a quarter at the grocery is now a dollar or more. My guess is that she is going somewhere like that and then complaining about food prices. It always kills me when I see these kids paying $3-4 for half a gallon of milk knowing full well that the owner bought it from the store I work at for a dollar. They are paying through the nose for convenience.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Mail order a 50 pound bag of rice and some beans. HELLA cheaper than $300 a week, simple, convenient - you don't even leave the house (it's delivered) and lasts *months*, not a week, right?

Be smart, mmm-kay?

(BTW - I just saved you thousands of $$$ a year. You're welcome. )

Lol, that rice is $25 +$50 SHIPPING!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    One way to get some nice local produce at a good price is to join a CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture I think?). This is where you pay a monthly or quarterly fee to a farm or farm group and then receive a weekly box of produce. The great thing is that you'll always be getting the tastiest fruits and veggies because you know they were just harvested, plus even though paying a lump sum up front can be tough, overall it's the best deal you can get.

http://www.localharvest.org/cape-canaveral-fl/csa
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My 'healthy on a budget' plan is mainly:
    Use coupons and sales to stock up on frozen veggies
    Buy whole grain brown rice in bulk
    I use skinless chicken breast as my main lean protein source (I'll buy extra and freeze if it's under $2 a pound)
    Beans and lentils and eggs are also cheap ways to get protein
    I buy whatever fruit/veg is on sale and eat around that.
    It's often a bit cheaper and sometimes WAY cheaper to do a little more prep work yourself (.99 for one pound of carrots vs 1.99 for 1 pound of 'baby' carrots, which are just regular ones cut to shape anyway.)
    Make soup or stirfry with leftover or starting-to-wilt veggies to avoid waste. Likewise smoothies can use up almost-too-ripe fruits.

For that matter, using coupons on everything else you must buy like toothpaste and laundry soap, etc is a pretty good way to free up a little more $$ for food, if you aren't doing that already.

It does sound like you're doing really well though, and it can be hard to get the 'buy in bulk' train started when you have only a little money for what you need RIGHT NOW, but once you have your pantry well stocked the overall cost is more manageable.

Also I wanted to say congrats on your weight loss so far! I'm pretty impressed. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is, if in NYC, prices are so exorbitant (and a few I can acknowledge are at least close, having lived in the 'burbs of NYC for years until 10 years ago...at least if you refuse to buy the bargain or sale brands), then what are they for what people would generally consider "non"-healthy foods? Are eggs, milk and olive oil out-of-the-ballpark expensive as compared to the rest of the nation, yet, say, Doritos and the like still very cheap (as compared to the rest of the nation)?

Anyone who lives in NYC, I'd be interested to hear more about this. What are the general prices for Doritos...Pop Tarts (yum)...soda...etc?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    And for the record, in my 34 years living here in NYC I have never seem a dozen eggs priced at $7 other than going to whole foods and getting the most expensive choice of cage free eggs. If someone is doing that then they really should not be comparing their situation to someone that doesn't have the means to spend that much.

*slow clap*

Thank you. THANK YOU. This ^. All of this.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm still dying to know how expensive a bag of lentils are where she shops.