The most serious question.

Options
On Sunday, I cooked 2 slices of bacon in a cast iron skillet and I logged the bacon into my food diary.

I immediately cooked 2 lbs of chicken thighs in the bacon grease.

Do I log the bacon grease on my chicken thighs every day as part of that meal?

Conundrum.

Replies

• kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Assuming the bacon grease that ended up in the pan is accounted for in the nutritional info for the bacon, no, you would not have to.

Now I am craving bacon.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know how you'd calculate the amount of grease that stuck to the chicken thighs / that you ate, but it does add calories, and fat, and whatever else.
    Add it or don't, its up to you.
    If you want to stay under your calorie limit, but aren't able to add it properly, then just do a safe judgement and stay 80-100+ calories under your limit for the day (since bacon grease, would probably be pretty calorie heavy). So while anyone looking at your food diary wouldn't know about it. You'd still know yourself, that you stayed within your limit, even with the bacon grease
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    I wouldn't know how you'd calculate the amount of grease that stuck to the chicken thighs / that you ate, but it does add calories, and fat, and whatever else.
    Add it or don't, its up to you.
    If you want to stay under your calorie limit, but aren't able to add it properly, then just do a safe judgement and stay 80-100+ calories under your limit for the day (since bacon grease, would probably be pretty calorie heavy). So while anyone looking at your food diary wouldn't know about it. You'd still know yourself, that you stayed within your limit, even with the bacon grease

I did pat each chicken thigh down with a paper towel to get excess off.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Bacon grease is no more caloric than any other fat (oil, butter, etc).

Personally when I do this, if I was tracking calories, I would make a reasonable guesstimate as to how much got in there and go with that. Figure 50 calories extra or so... Could be more, could be less.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    shouldn't be too much on it then. Maybe try stay 50 cals under your limit, if you really want to be safe. Otherwise don't worry about a little bacon grease lol
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    What a delicious idea. I've always wanted to do something with my bacon grease! Thanks! :)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    No, the grease is very much in the calories you'd have logged for the bacon (assuming they are accurate numbers). Don't worry, the cooking process didn't magically produce more calories.
  • glevinso
    Options
    No, the grease is very much in the calories you'd have logged for the bacon (assuming they are accurate numbers). Don't worry, the cooking process didn't magically produce more calories.

I'm not so sure about that. The bacon nutritional information is always for pan-fried and drained slices. I would assume actually that the grease is NOT accounted for.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    mmm...bacon...
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well, you normally discard the bacon grease after consuming the bacon, right? So, the bacon grease is not really included in the calories for the cooked bacon. I suggest you add the calories for a quarter tablespoon of pork-rendered lard (115 calories for one TBSN) to each serving of meat, which works out to 29 calories per serving as you described it, and that should cover it for you. MFP has a Food Entry listed in their database for pork rendered Lard. This seems to concur with what is published elsewhere.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I draing 3/4 of my bacon grease into my handy dandy bacon grease trapper (okay you got me- it's a tin can I keep in the fridge)

I use this to sautee all my veggies and meats- as well as use it to make popcorn.

I typically add 2 tablespoons of butter generically to my day to cover this type of thing.

I honestly wouldn't "disregard" it completely- but you probably didn't use all of it. I eye ball it based on what I know 2 tablespoons of melted butter looks like- or olive oil. Whatever- same as any other fat you woul duse- as you said.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    On Sunday, I cooked 2 slices of bacon in a cast iron skillet and I logged the bacon into my food diary.

I immediately cooked 2 lbs of chicken thighs in the bacon grease.

Do I log the bacon grease on my chicken thighs every day as part of that meal?

Conundrum.

OJ, you're evil. >:) I love you.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    But are you logging the additional iron you get from using a cast iron skillet?
  • glevinso
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I draing 3/4 of my bacon grease into my handy dandy bacon grease trapper (okay you got me- it's a tin can I keep in the fridge)

I use this to sautee all my veggies and meats- as well as use it to make popcorn.

You and me.. same page.

I do this all the time.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »

Ah. Now we are getting to the meat of the discussion. (heh)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'm bacon you, stop, this is all too funny!
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I'm not so sure about that. The bacon nutritional information is always for pan-fried and drained slices. I would assume actually that the grease is NOT accounted for.

I'd chance it.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »

TR asking the real questions.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief (in this thread), the grease remaining in the pan is *not* reflected in the nutritional information for the bacon. Those stats are "as prepared" which assumes you won't also be consuming the grease that is left behind.

So you should also log whatever amount of bacon grease ends up in your chicken dish...which probably isn't that much.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    An egg fried in a pan that has cooked bacon is extra delicious, especially if served with said bacon. I really want bacon now.....