The most serious question.

Options
2»

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What a delicious idea. I've always wanted to do something with my bacon grease! Thanks! :)

I'll also wedge cabbage and fry that in the bacon grease too.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I draing 3/4 of my bacon grease into my handy dandy bacon grease trapper (okay you got me- it's a tin can I keep in the fridge)

I use this to sautee all my veggies and meats- as well as use it to make popcorn.

You and me.. same page.

I do this all the time.

Additional pro tip: sear your steaks in the bacon-grease-laden pan.

Yum.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    I draing 3/4 of my bacon grease into my handy dandy bacon grease trapper (okay you got me- it's a tin can I keep in the fridge)

I use this to sautee all my veggies and meats- as well as use it to make popcorn.

You and me.. same page.

I do this all the time.

Yum.

wait- you mean people do it other ways?
    An egg fried in a pan that has cooked bacon is extra delicious, especially if served with said bacon. I really want bacon now

My dinner is as follows
    4 pieces bacon- on cast iron.
    drain 3/4 grease into grease trapper-
    add chopped veggies (green peppers/tomatoes/onions) to bacon renderings/fat
    sear (okay fine- you got me ...burn)
    add scrambled eggs on top.
    cook
    remove

if toasting toast- add more bacon grease to cast iron.
    sear bread.
    add budder.

be happy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You and me.. same page.

I do this all the time.

Yum.

An egg fried in a pan that has cooked bacon is extra delicious, especially if served with said bacon. I really want bacon now

My dinner is as follows
    cook
    remove

sear bread.
    add budder.

be happy.

So hot.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    An egg fried in a pan that has cooked bacon is extra delicious, especially if served with said bacon. I really want bacon now.....

This, along with an English Muffin, is pretty much my breakfast about 4 days a week...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

You and me.. same page.

I do this all the time.

Yum.

My dinner is as follows
    cook
    remove

sear bread.
    add budder.

be happy.

So hot.

if you're gonna eat breakfast for dinner- do it right!
    This, along with an English Muffin, is pretty much my breakfast about 4 days a week...

you and me- same page- different time of day. nomnomnomno
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Bacon-fat popcorn is the best popcorn. Mmmmm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You already logged the grease when you logged the bacon... so don't worry about it.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You already logged the grease when you logged the bacon... so don't worry about it.

No. No she didn't.

He didn't either.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options

No. No she didn't.

I'm a he.
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Logic tells me that can't be true. Not trying to sound like a dick, but just thinking that if it was in the pan and wasn't consumed, you gotta count it separately. It would mean either taking it off the bacon (which I don't think would be correct) or adding it to the chicken (but not sure how you'd measure that).
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    There's an entry in the database for this: "Animal fat - Bacon grease"

On a less serious note, did you know you can make cakes with bacon grease? I only recently found this out.
    http://gentlemansfare.com/bacon-bacon-chocolate-cake/
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I use bacon grease for almost everything since I always have some in a cup ready to use. I like the slight bacony flavor it adds. Of course if that is not a flavor I want in a certain food I use olive oil or something else.

It *does* have a lowish smoke point though so it isn't useful necessarily for actually frying things.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

No. No she didn't.

He didn't either.

They probably did. My non-microwavable bacon is listed as 50g raw, or approx 12g cooked, for 2 slices.

So this is akin to saying that my ground beef nutritional information for raw beef isn't including any fat that would be drained out.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

No. No she didn't.

He didn't either.

They probably did. My non-microwavable bacon is listed as 50g raw, or approx 12g cooked, for 2 slices.

So this is akin to saying that my ground beef nutritional information for raw beef isn't including any fat that would be drained out.

Most bacon does not have a raw listing, only cooked, for the sole purpose of making it look healthier by excluding the drippings from the final count.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

No. No she didn't.

He didn't either.

Most bacon does not have a raw listing, only cooked, for the sole purpose of making it look healthier by excluding the drippings from the final count.

All of my bacon - pork or otherwise - lists raw weight. Only the example I gave above and potentially my microwave bacon also lists cooked weight with it. And I've weighed them all raw, they are either the same or close to the listed weight or actually less than the listed weight for the same number of slices (so far mostly just for my back bacon). If the entries were for cooked bacon then the raw slices would weigh more than the serving weight provided.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I actually look at the blue cheese fat that bubbles out of my stuffed squashes while they cook pooling forlornly in the bottom of the pan and think 'dammit, I logged that!!' (soz, vegetarian, I have no bacon stories).
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I actually look at the blue cheese fat that bubbles out of my stuffed squashes while they cook pooling forlornly in the bottom of the pan and think 'dammit, I logged that!!' (soz, vegetarian, I have no bacon stories).

I am sorry for your loss.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

The struggle is real.
  • spulia1
    spulia1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wait.... we're not supposed to drink the bacon grease?