"Skinny-fat" the struggle is real.

Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm "skinny fat" too. I'm 5'4 and 112lbs. I've read a lot on here to not worry about losing weight, but to maintain calorie intake and work on strength and resistance training. I have never been to a gym and don't know how to use any of the equipment so I'm kinda embarrassed to go. But I guess everyone starts somewhere!

Everyone does start somewhere! When I started I was using the machines and a gym trainer was hustling on the floor and convinced me to at least take the free fitness assessment with her. It was enough to get me to invest in a few private training sessions. The rest is history!
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't know what I should do first (cut/bulk/maintain). 5'7, 162 lbs male with 20-25 % bf. Thanks.
  • TrinityR05
    TrinityR05 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also did a search for skinny fat and found this thread. I'm female 5'4" and about 120 lbs. I used to be 112 lbs, but I stopped working out for a couple years and I crept up to about 120 lbs. I have very small bones, but the weight just makes me skinny fat. People always say I look good and that I'm skinny and I always say....no, believe me I have fat and they just look at me like I am crazy. I just started incorporating weights and I am on my second week working out 6 days per week. I have stuck to about 1200 calories. I'm trying not to worry about the scale too much and trying to just go by how I look and feel. I am just wondering how long it will take to notice results.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I also did a search for skinny fat and found this thread. I'm female 5'4" and about 120 lbs. I used to be 112 lbs, but I stopped working out for a couple years and I crept up to about 120 lbs. I have very small bones, but the weight just makes me skinny fat. People always say I look good and that I'm skinny and I always say....no, believe me I have fat and they just look at me like I am crazy. I just started incorporating weights and I am on my second week working out 6 days per week. I have stuck to about 1200 calories. I'm trying not to worry about the scale too much and trying to just go by how I look and feel. I am just wondering how long it will take to notice results.

You'll see better results if you eat more. 250 under your maintenance.
  • TrinityR05
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You'll see better results if you eat more. 250 under your maintenance.

Will do....thank you!!

• TrinityR05
    Options
    I'm assuming it is best to do weight training and not so much cardio?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm assuming it is best to do weight training and not so much cardio?

If you like cardio, do some. But you should be following a structured program with a progressive overload. I'm sure some were mentioned in the thread already.