Pre-workout recommendations?

Options
So I'm having trouble with exercising lately, I've just had zero energy and most days I can barely push myself to 20 minutes on the cross trainer before being completely drained and shaking. With that in mind, I'm looking for a new pre-workout. The one I'm using at the moment (Swisse Prepare I-Cartininine) has minimal effect. Anybody know of a good one to try? Just need enough energy to work out more.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I like 1/2 serving of Mr Hyde. A full serving has too much beta alanine and makes me itch.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Coffee
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I swear by C4. Can usually catch it on sale on Amazon. It has beta alanine though so it may make you itch. Start with a half scoop or 1 scoop dose and see if you get any reactions. I used to mind the itch but now it barely even phases me. As far as energy goes... it gets my blood boiling and makes me eager to get a sweat going.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Coffee

This.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5am, chug a glass of water, and get to it. Not sure what you're schedule it like, but if I attempted a workout after work I'd be super drained, too.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    First eat a fast digesting carb; I do a 100 calorie bag of pretzels. It helps throughout the workout. For preworkout I like C4. Start with one scoop to see how your tolerance is. Shatter is really good too but quite a bit more intense than C4.
    In case you've never taken a preworkout before, the tingling feeling you get all over is completely normal. Don't freak out :smile:
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Another vote for coffee. Strong and black.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I liked Hemavol. But I think they reformulated and I haven't tried that yet.
  • M_Jo
    M_Jo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use Amino Uptake from Complete Nutrition. No jitters or itches like with other PWs and has nutrients for recovery. My favorite is that rather than making me feel like I just can't sit still, it gives me a small boost of energy but a ton of concentration for the duration of my workout. Instead of "omgIhavetogorunrightnowI'mgoingtorunforevergetouttamyway" it's "alright, Let's DO this...now lets do THIS".
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Eaving1 wrote: »
    So I'm having trouble with exercising lately, I've just had zero energy and most days I can barely push myself to 20 minutes on the cross trainer before being completely drained and shaking. With that in mind, I'm looking for a new pre-workout. The one I'm using at the moment (Swisse Prepare I-Cartininine) has minimal effect. Anybody know of a good one to try? Just need enough energy to work out more.

First...are you eating enough? You shouldn't feel "completely drained and shaking."
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Coffee, or if you're feeling adventurous, caffeine powder. I like 150-200mg in a shot of water. Tastes vile, gets you going. I don't think anything else legal works tbh it's all marketing hype.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Eaving1 wrote: »

This sounds like you're simply not eating enough throughout the day to fuel your workouts.

How big is your deficit? How often/hard are you working out?

You've gotten some suggestions already. And while those suggestions are nice, they may be meaningless, if you're doing too much, too soon, with too little fuel.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    andreamaym wrote: »
    I wake up at 5am, chug a glass of water, and get to it. Not sure what you're schedule it like, but if I attempted a workout after work I'd be super drained, too.
    Exactly this.
  • markstanley666
    markstanley666 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would agree strong coffee and give your system a break from pre-workout supplements as it sounds like your tolerance has built up. cant go wrong with a banana ether. failing that i was a Fan driven sports Craze theyv just released a new version which
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Full glass of water and a 200mg caffeine pill.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Eat enough to fuel your workout and hydrate. You need to deal with those issues to make sure you arent just covering things up with the pre workout.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    6:30 a,m. Cup of coffee and then a walk with my dog (usually a light jog) around the neighborhood then a light stretch and then my work out.

My dog walk is my "wake up" and "warm up" . I get loosened up by moving around before I hit it!
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :) I probably should also have added that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, after looking for answers as to why I suddenly couldn't lift half of what I could before being down sick for a week with a nasty virus in Feb 2014, and having half of my previous endurance. I.e instead of doing at least an hour workout a day comfortably, I'd be struggling after 20 minutes and having 3-4 day recovery times for DOMS. Something like going for a 40 minute walk has left me unable to walk properly for 3 days, when I was easily climbing the local hiking tracks a few days a week previously. At the moment though, I'm weaker than usual for some reason, so that's why I'm looking for an energy boost.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Don't take pre-workout stuff...before a workout I'll have a protein shake with a banana in it and that does me just fine.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    This thread has made me realize that I will not ever be trying a pre workout. "Tingling all over" "Itching" WTF! LOL! Not for me! Yikes!