Weight gain. Slim to healthy curvy (slim thick)

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    what is "slim thick"?????

I know right?

I think we've all lost our minds to be honest.
    you don't have to be condescending frankly . "slim thick" is a slang or combination of two words meaning slim ( at the waist areas, arms and fit) and thick (curvy, at the thighs,bum and chest). Not all of us desire to gain weight with the purpose of looking like testosterone injected women.
    absurdly offensive by the way.
    When our vocabulary is limited I strongly suggest we refrain from making comments.
    and if it isn't limited and we may or may not have weight gain suggestions? where does that leave us????
    Any weight gain suggestions?. Thanks.

eat more. plain and simple.
  • shoronnewhitehead
    shoronnewhitehead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    aminavilaa wrote: »
    I am trying to do the same! trying to gain more weight mainly my thighs, butt and calves.

Make some research on maca . It's a natural supplement and it really helps. I'm on 1000mg a day and a few other herbs. I'm not a junk eater so I'm sticking to oils like olive and protein bars. Yoga is amazing for curves too. Any progress?

Just wanted to say I understand what she means by slim thick. People are so caught up in either wanting to be slim or hating on the slim for being that way its hard to understand. People treat us natrually slim people like we are evil even though 95% of us eat what we want but fat doesnt even get to know our bodies. Im 28 with an 8 year old and am smaller than i was before ever getting prego... I lost all my baby wieght (20 pounds) in about 3 months! No gut no stretching nothing, but no pun intended im soft in all the right places i actually do the wiggle dance when i pull up my jeans but I just want to add a bit more cushion, so lss I know wjat she means when she says being slim thick. Honestly keep drinking lots of water, take Maca and Flaxseed, and Womens Multivitamin will help stabilize everything.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras posted this on FB yesterday, and is rather pertinent to the original question before the entire thread derailed into squabbles.
    Attention most ladies (not everyone, but most). You know that dream butt you desire? 99% of the time, the celebrity/athlete/fitness model you wish you looked more like has more glute mass than you. Make no mistake about it, you need to grow your glutes. Toning is not what you seek, what you desire is straight up gluteal hypertrophy.
    Her glutes are round and perky because they are strong and frequently activated. Your glutes currently don't look like hers because you have neglected them and you need to get in better shape, but the fastest route isn't cardio, Yoga, Pilates, spin, or Barre.
    These are definitely fine to do, but the fastest route to a better butt is plain old resistance training. Of course genetics is a huge factor, but that's out of your control so don't focus on that. At the end of the day, your glutes need three-dimensional growth for you to be happy with them.
    Those volleyball players you see with great glutes got that way by utilizing them 3-6 days per week for several years to crouch, lunge, cut, accelerate, and jump, but you don't need to train for several hours per day like they do. You can mimic the signaling pathways to the glutes by performing a well-rounded (pun intended) 20-60 minute glute workout 3-6 times per week.
    She's also probably leaner than you, I get that, and you likely have unwanted fat on your glutes that needs to be shed. Cardio helps create a caloric deficit, but most traditional forms of cardio do not significantly alter the shape of the glutes, not anything like resistance training. Diet is more effective than cardio for creating a caloric deficit, so don't try to out-train a poor diet.
    Prioritize diet for fat loss and glute strength for booty shape.
    When you gain strength, you recompose your body so that you possess more muscle and less fat. A stronger body is a leaner body assuming you don't gain any weight and stick to the same diet.
    Perform a variety of glute exercises using bodyweight, bands, kettlebells, dumbbells, and/or barbells. Do your glute exercises religiously for 6 months with good form and with the intention of getting better over time and you will notice a significant difference in the shape and appearance of your butt.
    I know you want a great butt in 30 days, but it takes more time than that. I can guarantee that the woman with your dream butt spent more than 30 days to shape her glutes. You'll look better each month as your glutes get stronger and get more accustomed to the workouts, but you have to make glute training a habit.
    Do your research and learn proper form, the best glute exercises to perform, and the best way to schedule your training. My blog (www.BretContreras.com) is by far the most comprehensive resource on glute training available, so begin there and start searching around.
    It's not just about hard work; knowledge is crucial as well. I have tried my hardest over the past several years to help you achieve a butt that you're proud of and prevent you from spinning your wheels, but only you can put in the mental and physical effort - I can't do that for you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    yes to weighted hip thrusts. I have been doing these and I think I am ready to move up the weights again. Definitely on the quest for Moar Glutes lol.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How hard is it to just give a constructive suggestion or simple truth and move on? These boards are ridiculous with the comments. How is anyone supposed to learn anything with "help" like this? Especially from "one of the most knowledgeable members on the board".

That being said, there is truth underneath the sarcasm and facetiousness. You cannot "spot" reduce, but you can build muscle mass in areas you isolate. Also there is no help with the chest area.

Find your TDEE (maintenance) caloric intake. Start with a calculator and eat at that level for 4 weeks. If you gain weight, reduce the calories until you stabilize. Once you find a good TDEE for you, eat 5-10% over that and lift weights. IT'S GONNA BE A SLOW PROCESS.

You will probably want to train lower body twice a week. Either splitting quads and hams or doing a heavier, strength day (1-5 reps) and a lighter, hypertrophy day (8-12 reps). This will help you gain a strength base and put some mass on the your lower half. Sorry but as it was said, can't help you with the upper half. ;)

That's the best chance you have and it still may not give you the ideal shape you're after, but it can help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    what is "slim thick"?????

I know right?

I think we've all lost our minds to be honest.
    you don't have to be condescending frankly . "slim thick" is a slang or combination of two words meaning slim ( at the waist areas, arms and fit) and thick (curvy, at the thighs,bum and chest). Not all of us desire to gain weight with the purpose of looking like testosterone injected women. When our vocabulary is limited I strongly suggest we refrain from making comments . Any weight gain suggestions?. Thanks.

Honestly OP, you are the only person in this thread who is condescending. Not everyone on this forum is 20 years old and from your area, so using slang will drive people to question it. And since your OP and title is fairly vague, you are going to get a wide variety of answers.

I believe many others have addressed the OP but I will help reinforce it. No supplement will provide you the body you desire. In fact, most supplements have been proven to do absolutely nothing. You can try to "bulk" specific muscle to help provide a fuller figure, but more than likely, that will have to occur through a series of bulks/cuts and can take years. Obviously, if you think women can look like the hulk, then you do not know the basics. Here is what can happen with women after adding 20 lbs of mass (without steroids). And even then, this is a more extreme case. Typically, with women, they tend to get more lean and slim.

Strong curves will probably be the suggested program of choice (if you haven't noticed yet) as it will focus on a lot of the areas that women want. So that would be a fantastic starting point for you or any women.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Buy Strong Curves by Bret Contraras

This...weighed hip thrust for the win. Always with the thrusting...and always with the winning.

+1. I just discovered weighed hip thrusts a couple of weeks ago and I kind of love it.

Follow them up with Dumbell Sumo Wide Leg Box Squats with a 2 sec pause on the bottom. Go Deep and squeeze at the top. Got the wifey on board with a "Glute Only" day a few months ago and OMG!!

By the way...I have a Glute Hamstring day and start with Hip Thrusts. Have them tonight actually...no shame.

Basially we start with Hip Thrust 12,10,10,10 then move to similar workouts in the video below. Having an Aerobic Step helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-XcuBfllg

Whoa, that looks amazing! Thanks for the tip and the video. I’ll definitely work some of that into my routine.
    arditarose wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Buy Strong Curves by Bret Contraras

This...weighed hip thrust for the win. Always with the thrusting...and always with the winning.

+1. I just discovered weighed hip thrusts a couple of weeks ago and I kind of love it.

Mmmhmmm. I'm working some of the Strong Curves stuff into PHUL. Crossing my fingers for a nice gluteal sulcus.

Woot, sounds to me like you can’t go wrong! :smile: Can’t wait for your progress pics!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    How hard is it to just give a constructive suggestion or simple truth and move on? These boards are ridiculous with the comments. How is anyone supposed to learn anything with "help" like this? Especially from "one of the most knowledgeable members on the board".

That being said, there is truth underneath the sarcasm and facetiousness. You cannot "spot" reduce, but you can build muscle mass in areas you isolate. Also there is no help with the chest area.

Find your TDEE (maintenance) caloric intake. Start with a calculator and eat at that level for 4 weeks. If you gain weight, reduce the calories until you stabilize. Once you find a good TDEE for you, eat 5-10% over that and lift weights. IT'S GONNA BE A SLOW PROCESS.

You will probably want to train lower body twice a week. Either splitting quads and hams or doing a heavier, strength day (1-5 reps) and a lighter, hypertrophy day (8-12 reps). This will help you gain a strength base and put some mass on the your lower half. Sorry but as it was said, can't help you with the upper half. ;)

That's the best chance you have and it still may not give you the ideal shape you're after, but it can help.

yea, we covered that on page one, but that was not good enough for OP ...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    "Thick" means a very different thing over here. Which makes this thread even more hilarious.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on the topic of hip thrusts…

pbnrhlamwuhn.jpg

(apologies for side-tracking the discussion)
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    aminavilaa wrote: »
    I am trying to do the same! trying to gain more weight mainly my thighs, butt and calves.

Make some research on maca . It's a natural supplement and it really helps. I'm on 1000mg a day and a few other herbs. I'm not a junk eater so I'm sticking to oils like olive and protein bars. Yoga is amazing for curves too. Any progress?

Your gaining weight on Macca the powder supplement ? Really!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Your shape is your shape. You can't widen your hip bones and you can't deposit fat where you want on your body any more than you can exercise it off an area you want.
    You can increase lean muscle and enhance the current shape you have, but you can't "thicken" your butt with just a supplement. Dependent on how your genetics work, some will gain on their abs, back and arms first before their lower half and vice versa when it comes to fat deposit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm just thrilled to see that this thread is continuing onward and upward.
  • kappasutra
    kappasutra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For women the key is working their Lower body... #squats #inclinerunning #lunges dips and leg extensions and oh yea up the calories. I've seen a few of my gym partners transform
  • kappasutra
    kappasutra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    8dyv1gibqa9o.jpg

True story
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    kappasutra wrote: »
    For women the key is working their Lower body... #squats #inclinerunning #lunges dips and leg extensions and oh yea up the calories. I've seen a few of my gym partners transform

aslkd;fj;asldijkf

"for women"

what does that even mean ?!?!?!?!
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

aslkd;fj;asldijkf

"for women"

If you guys get too strong in the upper body then everyone has to worry about societal upheaval and the end of the world as we know it. Pretty sure it's science.
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options

aslkd;fj;asldijkf

"for women"

woman should also train the upper body, because they need strong arms to carry groceries, do laundry, load the dishwasher, and clean the house....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    every time I see this thread pop up, I hear macho man randy savage saying "snap into some slim thick!!"
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

aslkd;fj;asldijkf

"for women"

woman should also train the upper body, because they need strong arms to carry groceries, do laundry, load the dishwasher, and clean the house....

And don't forget to carry about the babes you're going to have.