13»

Replies

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    jainafaith wrote: »
    I just had a total of 4-5 bowls of cherrios.... :(

Eat things that are higher in protein than carbs. E.g. Eggs. A dietician made this recommendation to my workmate and the weight melted off and he never felt the hunger. Something to do with protein making you satisfied so you are far less likely to go searching for that 'something' you crave but can never find until you've eaten 5 bowls of cherrios.

Also - processed stuff like sausages, cherrios etc - not gonna make you feel satisfied for very long buddy, sorry. Your better to cook up a tasty slab of steak instead

Mmmmm, gotta make room in my budget to have this with a side of broccoli, next month... .mouth watering and will keep me satiated for a very long time!
    j6vw5uqvadzk.gif

• uvi5
    Options
    Also great advice. I can take up to an hour to eat (if hot food, I may need to nuke every 20 min or so). Often I don't even finish and save the leftovers for an evening snack.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting a lot of protein and fats for satiety. Also, I agree with more veggies.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Make sure you're getting a lot of protein and fats for satiety. Also, I agree with more veggies.

So important. Don't cut out extra fat - your deficit will be the same whether you eat the calories in fat or carbs... You may find however that eating less fats can really make that belly rumble!
  • kayleereade
    kayleereade Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My go to meal in the evening is Steamed fish with loads of steamed veg- broccoli, spinach, carrots, green beans, mushrooms..whatever I can find! Add in half a baked sweet potato if you fancy it...then use 1/4 of a pot of low fat roasted garlic and herb dipping sauce with a squeeze of lemon to pour over the fish and voila! Or I make a delicious vegetarian chilli which again leaves me stuffed! I add paprika and chilli flakes to taste. I dont always add these to my diary as I am usually well within my allowance and dinner is the last thing I eat! You can always leave out the sweet potato if calories don't allow, I had it as a treat and stayed within my calories.

4oo0ccjo1eje.jpg

z3qu085ysih2.jpg

:)
  • uvi5
    Options

So important. Don't cut out extra fat - your deficit will be the same whether you eat the calories in fat or carbs... You may find however that eating less fats can really make that belly rumble!

True. I use full fat mayo, sour cream, yogurt, cheese...etc. Helps satiate big time and the flavor is far better and goes a long way.

• NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

True. I use full fat mayo, sour cream, yogurt, cheese...etc. Helps satiate big time and the flavor is far better and goes a long way.

Butter is my full fat feast! And when I'm extra hungry I switch my 200ml daily skim to whole milk which really helps even though it seems like very little
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 weigh 245lbs I eat 1210 calories a day and I can honestly say I am never hungry. (obviously I was eating waaaaaaaay more than that previously to get to this fat a#$ weight) Now, I eat 5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours, I also drink 128oz of water in between. I eat a lot of veggies and nuts which help to keep that "full" feeling. I have never been a breakfast person but as they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day so I started drinking a protein shake to jump start my day. I work full time so I do have to do some prepping to make sure I have what I need to eat that many times each day but once you are into a routine it's pretty easy... If you look at my diary I had BK for the lunch the other day while I was at a work conference, managed to stay in my calories and that's the key (I can't tell you the last time I ate fast food)... Calories in vs. Calories Out... I think someone else mentioned this above as well but are you truly hungry or do you just feel like your missing out? bored? I know that I had to often ask myself if I was truly hungry and most of the times I really wasn't I was just bored or felt like I was on a "diet" because I didn't always have that overly bloated full feeling I have been use too for soo many years. Our minds are very good at playing games with us, remember YOU set the rules to this game... You can do it! Good luck! :p
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I really don't understand why you are eating foods you find boring. Is it any wonder you're not satisfied? And I totally disagree with the notion that you have to just deal with strong hunger pangs

Just start eating food that is interesting and yummy. If nighttime interested your time for being hungry eat lighter during the day and have a wonderful supper.

Seems like torture to eat stuff you don't love.

I agree.

But I've seen it in other threads too ... it's almost like people think if they eat something with all the excitement and flavour of cardboard, that's what's healthy and will help them lose weight.

• NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I agree.

But I've seen it in other threads too ... it's almost like people think if they eat something with all the excitement and flavour of cardboard, that's what's healthy and will help them lose weight.

I know! The only reason I will ever eat cardboard is possibly if I want to eat pizza, but there's no pizza left and instead resort to eating the box ;) jk
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Seems a lot of people like to eat until they feel full or really full, you don't have to do that.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Truth is...when you are trying to lose weight...
    Calories in and Calories out...
    You need to eat at a deficit...
    which means less calories than maintaining weight...
    which leads to cravings...
    I have it...others have it...you have it....
    everyone does...
    You have to be in control and overcome those weaknesses.
    Results are in your hands.

Wow...this. This is the truth of the matter. Get used to feeling a bit hungry. Sit in the feeling of wanting more and do NOT act on it. You won't die if you feel a bit hungry.
    Being hungry sucks.
    I don't do things that suck.
    Ever.

And you don't have to. I call it the "scenic route" approach to weight loss, it takes a little longer but is more enjoyable.

ETA:

Satiety is something that can be managed and that food is supposed to bring. The only difference between it and any other nutritional need is that it's qualitative and subjective, to some extent.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Seems a lot of people like to eat until they feel full or really full, you don't have to do that.

If you're used to doing that, it can be a hard habit to break.

It can help to have one big meal a day - lets you feel full and satisfied. Sometimes that makes it easier to get through the rest of the day. Sometimes not. OP, you're just going to need to experiment and find out what eating patterns work best for you.

I will +100 on making sure to get enough fat and protein. For many people, carbs aren't terribly filling or satisfying. Obviously you fall in that category since you're having multiple bowls of Cheerios and are still hungry.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    There's your problem!!! This is my very secret "just threw it all in" recipe from earlier this week, which you could chop and change however you liked. It made a huge pot and I had 12 servings which were a generous ladle-full for 84 calories - leaving room for some rice to go with! You have to make it yummy!
    mvg5sv4uayey.png

EDIT: If you can't tell I weighed and threw it all in BEFORE I put it into the mfp recipe calculator!

wow that's not a lot of chicken per serving. Ok the veg fills it out but still I want more chicken lol

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I don't really have any answers. I guess I'll say, when you start to cut back a lot from what you're eating it takes like a month to truly get over the hunger pangs. At least it did for me. But once you get used to it, then you stop getting so hungry all the time. Also if you haven't heard, always make breakfast your biggest meal. That really helps reduce later meals.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Space your calories to enable you to eat when you're most hungry. That will enable you to stay within your deficit.

I also disagree. Eating a large breakfast does not decrease my appetite later in the day, and what's more, if I eat a very carby breakfast I will keep getting hungry for several hours afterward, after the sugar crash. My hungry time always comes late at night close to bedtime. I've had the best luck with drinking coffee with cream and Splenda in the morning, then a regular lunch, then a fairly filling dinner that's mostly protein and vegetables so I'm still fairly satisfied at night.

Same here. Eating breakfast is like flipping the ON switch for me. I'm ravenously hungry all day. But if I wait till about 10 am and then have something small and low-cal, I'm good.

Same here. Except I drink Diet Coke with no cream :smile: