"Professional" lifter

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »
    I'm still not following....

what is so outlandish about playing Rugby or doing MMA? And what is "soft" about playing tennis?

I am much confused!

I'd say you're confused since you're from England and not tuned into US weirdness but I'm in Maine and still confused lol

Yeah, I was trying to establish whether I don't get it because I'm an outsider or I don't get it because there is nothing to get.

OP has narked his colleagues by calling them all soft and now he thinks their reaction to him is because he lifts, or watches rugby while drinking beer, or does MMA in his underwear, or something....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    classic case of over thinking it.

I don't care how massive my arms are- I'd be pissed if I ripped a nice shirt- I do stichfix (same concept) and those close aren't cheap.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    [insert that speech from billy madison here. you know the one.]
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I work for an IT company with 700 people in the building and pretty decent work gym. I would venture to guess that maybe 10 people in the entire building use it. Only 3 or 4 of us lift. It's crazy.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I guess if you don't want them to judge you, don't talk about hulking through your shirts? Or maybe respect the sports they do in their free time and they will respect yours?

I work for a large financial institution and I've never encountered this attitude among my colleagues.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    I'm still not following....

what is so outlandish about playing Rugby or doing MMA? And what is "soft" about playing tennis?

I am much confused!

I'd say you're confused since you're from England and not tuned into US weirdness but I'm in Maine and still confused lol

Yeah, I was trying to establish whether I don't get it because I'm an outsider or I don't get it because there is nothing to get.

OP has narked his colleagues by calling them all soft and now he thinks their reaction to him is because he lifts, or watches rugby while drinking beer, or does MMA in his underwear, or something....

Now that's just putting words in my mouth which isn't fair. I don't mark anyone and my personal opinions about sports is it is better to be active than to do nothing. But and I can't establish this enough FOR ME it's soft because at this age (29 going on 30) I'd rather do something much harder than a sport that I know I can play in my retirement (if you read my earlier response my definition of soft is something that I can do past my 60s. This beyond the fact the my grandfather is losing his memory and turning 80 but still enjoys lifting. There are freaks out there.) I want to push myself to the absolute limit which tennis, running, dodgeball are not how I see myself doing it. Yea I can have fun doing them but that's not what I am going to say I broke my personal plateaus doing. Again if that is you, do you and be proud. For me lifting and feeling unbreakable are for me (which I feel that way playing the sports I mentioned. If softball makes you feel that way I got nothing but respect for you. You like jazz and I like metal, who cares?)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    In
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    edited April 2015
    I kind of understand where you're coming from. I'm a Neurophysiologist and I used to compete in powerlifting but recently swapped over to MMA. People do think it's kind of weird, I'm not the kind of guy they are expecting to see when they go to the doctor's office. I wouldn't say that I get a lot of negative feedback because of it though, mostly just comments about how they have to "bring in the big guy to control the patients, hardy har har" etc...

Then again, it's not the activities that I participate in that they find so out of place. It is my appearance. Most the time they don't ever find out what sports I compete in. They just think I'm a biker or something.
  • upgradeddiddy
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I guess if you don't want them to judge you, don't talk about hulking through your shirts? Or maybe respect the sports they do in their free time and they will respect yours?

I work for a large financial institution and I've never encountered this attitude among my colleagues.

Thats the "The nail that sticks out, gets hammered." Mentality that caused me to vent this post in the first place. And to premise just in case you guys didn't read above the only thing I said anything is that it was funny and I was proud of my progress. I normally don't say anything unless I am asked (also part of another response above.)

::off soap box::
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    Lots of stereotyping about big lifters is that their IQ's are lower. Not uncommon for many professionals to think that way. When I worked in sales and had to wear suits, you could tell I worked out. A lot of comments were made that if I spent more time in the field of study rather than the gym, I'd be more successful. Maybe. But I could definitely tell that they thought I was less educated than they were based on conversation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jimmmer
    Sure you can play tennis in your 80's.

Or you can be Andre Agassi.

I suspect the octogenarian plays a "softer" style.....

There are no "soft" sports. Only softer (and harder) sportsmen and women.
  • Lofteren

Spend 15 minutes in a ring with a seasoned boxer and then spend 15 minutes on the court with a seasoned tennis player and then we'll see if you have that same opinion. Lol
  • jimmmer
    Lofteren wrote: »

Spend 15 minutes in a ring with a seasoned boxer and then spend 15 minutes on the court with a seasoned tennis player and then we'll see if you have that same opinion. Lol

Yeah mate, I've been in the ring.

I've also played a fair bit of tennis.

I've had some easier fights than I've had tennis matches...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    There is probably two things going on:
    1) You’re able to maintain a muscular physique and they are not.
    2) Many of your “personal” conversations revolve around lifting, sports, and physique, regularly reminding them they are not.

As hard as it might seem, try to not talk about your body, lifting or sports unless they bring it up first.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Drop the ego and quit calling other people's sports "soft" Maybe it's not the sport you play, but the hulk attitude that annoys your co workers......I don't even work with you and it annoys me.....
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    I have no idea what is going on in here so I'm just gonna leave. Ta Ta!
  • Lofteren

That says more about the caliber of your competition than it does about the sports. 15 minutes in a ring with a difficult to handle boxer is hell. 15 minutes in a court with a difficult to handle tennis player is a lot of the ball getting hit out of the court but you never got punched in the face. It is demoralizing and difficult to keep coming back to, even if you are generally winning you will catch some killer knocks. Arguing that one isn't "harder" than the other is just silly.
  • upgradeddiddy
    There is probably two things going on:
    1) You’re able to maintain a muscular physique and they are not.
    2) Many of your “personal” conversations revolve around lifting, sports, and physique, regularly reminding them they are not.

As hard as it might seem, try to not talk about your body, lifting or sports unless they bring it up first.

To #2, couldn't be more false, most conversations are about video games, news and travel. 70% video games, nice assumption though.
  • jimmmer

That says more about the caliber of your competition than it does about the sports. 15 minutes in a ring with a difficult to handle boxer is hell. 15 minutes in a court with a difficult to handle tennis player is a lot of the ball getting hit out of the court but you never got punched in the face. It is demoralizing and difficult to keep coming back to, even if you are generally winning you will catch some killer knocks. Arguing that one isn't "harder" than the other is just silly.

Yeah a tough tennis match is when you're pretty evenly matched, everything goes to deuce and you end up slugging it out for long rallies to break. A five setter under these conditions that goes the distance? Brutal.

Playing someone a lot worse than you (or a lot better)? Or both opponents being of insufficient quality? That's an easy tennis match.

So it's all about context. Skill level. Passion. Commitment. Mental toughness.

You probably haven't played much tennis, or aren't really of an appreciable skill level if you think it's not a tough sport.

As for fighting, I've been punched (and kicked) plenty, thank you very much.
  • upgradeddiddy

This I can definitely agree with but this is not about top caliber athletes...this was about me getting off my chest about my personal surroundings. Do appreciate everyone's comments. Especially those who disagree with me and the situation because you can't learn jack from people who believe everything the same as you.