jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Sure you can play tennis in your 80's.

Or you can be Andre Agassi.

I suspect the octogenarian plays a "softer" style.....

There are no "soft" sports. Only softer (and harder) sportsmen and women.

Spend 15 minutes in a ring with a seasoned boxer and then spend 15 minutes on the court with a seasoned tennis player and then we'll see if you have that same opinion. Lol

Yeah mate, I've been in the ring.

I've also played a fair bit of tennis.

I've had some easier fights than I've had tennis matches...

That says more about the caliber of your competition than it does about the sports. 15 minutes in a ring with a difficult to handle boxer is hell. 15 minutes in a court with a difficult to handle tennis player is a lot of the ball getting hit out of the court but you never got punched in the face. It is demoralizing and difficult to keep coming back to, even if you are generally winning you will catch some killer knocks. Arguing that one isn't "harder" than the other is just silly.

Yeah a tough tennis match is when you're pretty evenly matched, everything goes to deuce and you end up slugging it out for long rallies to break. A five setter under these conditions that goes the distance? Brutal.

Playing someone a lot worse than you (or a lot better)? Or both opponents being of insufficient quality? That's an easy tennis match.

So it's all about context. Skill level. Passion. Commitment. Mental toughness.

You probably haven't played much tennis, or aren't really of an appreciable skill level if you think it's not a tough sport.

As for fighting, I've been punched (and kicked) plenty, thank you very much.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sure you can play tennis in your 80's.

Or you can be Andre Agassi.

I suspect the octogenarian plays a "softer" style.....

There are no "soft" sports. Only softer (and harder) sportsmen and women.

This I can definitely agree with but this is not about top caliber athletes...this was about me getting off my chest about my personal surroundings. Do appreciate everyone's comments. Especially those who disagree with me and the situation because you can't learn jack from people who believe everything the same as you.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    There is so much context here . . . the nature of your team's interactions, how everyone feels about you, the circumstances of the discussion . . . I'm not even going to try to list out how impossible it is for any of us to reliably interpret the situation. Having said that, maybe it's fun to speculate and one speculation is probably as good as another.

First time I read your post, it felt to me like you may have come across with a little douchey / braggadocio vibe.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think when you get older you will probably raise you expectations of what is both appropriate and achievable for "old" people. Personally I'm in my early 50s and just started to lift heavy.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day;Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - Personally my gym is full of lifters, cross-fitters and other fitness freaks in their 50s, 60s, etc raging away and kicking *kitten*. The word "soft" doesn't come to mind.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    There is so much context here . . . the nature of your team's interactions, how everyone feels about you, the circumstances of the discussion . . . I'm not even going to try to list out how impossible it is for any of us to reliably interpret the situation. Having said that, maybe it's fun to speculate and one speculation is probably as good as another.

First time I read your post, it felt to me like you may have come across with a little douchey / braggadocio vibe.

I'll accept that, after reading the thread and thinking about the situation busting a shirt because you are getting in shape will create that vibe and hate towards me versus busting my shirt because of my gut.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

I think that this could be the case even when you are not meaning to come across that way. For good or for bad, people listen through their own filters. So if you happen to have a couple of coworkers who think that think that talking about your physical endeavors is annoying, they are going to be annoyed no matter what you say, whether it's "500 pound deadlift!" or "I ripped my shirt by bending my elbow." Or if somebody is super sensitive about trying to lose weight, if you mention that you are cutting, they might be annoyed as well. Just do your best to gauge your audience and that's all you can do.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Making a comment about busting your shirt because you are getting in shape doesn't create any hate or resentment.

But making a comment like ". . . I think it takes just as much mental and physical stamina as a lifter. There's just a difference I have seen people between 120 lbs - 300 lbs run marathons . . ." will generate resentment if that attitude is showing through in real life.
  • upgradeddiddy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    Making a comment about busting your shirt because you are getting in shape doesn't create any hate or resentment.

But making a comment like ". . . I think it takes just as much mental and physical stamina as a lifter. There's just a difference I have seen people between 120 lbs - 300 lbs run marathons . . ." will generate resentment if that attitude is showing through in real life.

Of course you would cut my quote off especially when I continued to say how for me it's not a personal accomplishment and especially before I said " (for me! If this is for you, do you)"

Not a very convincing defense if you are going to pick and choose parts of quotes instead of the statement as a whole.

If I have to hear for weeks on in about runs and going for 3 miles to prep for their 5th 5 K in the past 6 months and how someone eats 6 bananas a day to keep up energy for their 3rd run of the day or how dope that one 3 pointer they made at the buzzer even though it was the only point they made for the entire game and many other stories without judgement or agreeing to their diets and goals and aspirations I would expect the same in return over my personal accomplishment. But hey not everyone believes in the golden rule of treating others the way that they want to be treated except when it benefits them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Of course you would cut my quote off especially when I continued to say how for me it's not a personal accomplishment and especially before I said " (for me! If this is for you, do you)"

Not a very convincing defense if you are going to pick and choose parts of quotes instead of the statement as a whole.

If I have to hear for weeks on in about runs and going for 3 miles to prep for their 5th 5 K in the past 6 months and how someone eats 6 bananas a day to keep up energy for their 3rd run of the day or how dope that one 3 pointer they made at the buzzer even though it was the only point they made for the entire game and many other stories without judgement or agreeing to their diets and goals and aspirations I would expect the same in return over my personal accomplishment. But hey not everyone believes in the golden rule of treating others the way that they want to be treated except when it benefits them.

I think you just answered your own question there...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Um. Based on your OP, no one actually said a negative word to you. You interpreted the looks on their faces as judgement. You have no idea if that's reality or your expectations.

It seems you "tolerate" what other people do and talk about - sounds like you're being "tolerated" as well.

And why on earth is ripping a shirt a personal goal of yours? I really don't get that.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

Um. Based on your OP, no one actually said a negative word to you. You interpreted the looks on their faces as judgement. You have no idea if that's reality or your expectations.

It seems you "tolerate" what other people do and talk about - sounds like you're being "tolerated" as well.

And why on earth is ripping a shirt a personal goal of yours? I really don't get that.

If you were ever socially aware you would know that most of communication is conveyed through gestures and body language and not by what comes out of your mouth. If you think otherwise then you live in world of sunshine, gummy bears and unicorns because let me tell you NOONE is going to verbally say what they truly feel about you in person besides family and "true" friends ( not the ones who always make you feel good but the ones who make you feel good but kick you in the a** when you need it)

Also the ripping of the shirt was validation that my arms were growing due to muscle and not fat (growing up a "lanky" skinny kid, the bursting through your clothes because of muscle is always a subconscious dream, if you didn't grow up a skinny male then you just don't know and never will)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I deleted my previous post, but I should have left it.

Your attitude is the problem, OP.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

If you were ever socially aware you would know that most of communication is conveyed through gestures and body language and not by what comes out of your mouth. If you think otherwise then you live in world of sunshine, gummy bears and unicorns because let me tell you NOONE is going to verbally say what they truly feel about you in person besides family and "true" friends ( not the ones who always make you feel good but the ones who make you feel good but kick you in the a** when you need it)

Also the ripping of the shirt was validation that my arms were growing due to muscle and not fat (growing up a "lanky" skinny kid, the bursting through your clothes because of muscle is always a subconscious dream, if you didn't grow up a skinny male then you just don't know and never will)

We often find the exact reactions from people that we're looking for. Do you think that's it because those are the actual reactions, or that we interpret those reactions through the glass of our expectations?

I'm incredibly socially aware, thanks. I just don't expand the energy it takes to assign emotion to people that don't matter to me and then work up a butthurt about it. If the people I'm with think I'm ridiculous because I lift, I don't know it. I assume people mean well. Frees up my energy for things that matter.

And I have no problem telling you what I think of you. You come across as very self involved, and though you like to think of yourself as open minded, you're not. You like to brag about your accomplishments, but get defensive and assume people have an issue with lifting rather than your bragging. You expect people to be negative about it, so you see negativity in their reactions. You label sports as "soft" and you feel superior that you don't partake in them, thus giving exercise some sort of moral value.

My advice is to be far less concerned with what other people do, and focus on you and your goals.

Congrats on your shirt ripping.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

At this point I'm pretty sure any looks of disgust had nothing to do with you ripping your shirt but your attitude and your manner of speaking.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So first of all OP, I get where you're coming from with regards to your passion for lifting weights and I also get how it would be rewarding in a sense, to rip the sleeves of your shirt. Doesn't mean it's a goal of mine and I'm sure it wasn't a goal of yours but I get that it would feel pretty awesome.

I don't mean any of the following personally, but I'm going to make an observation here.

There's been a number of people pointing out the following two things:

1) Nothing was said to you so it's possible you're either misinterpreting their reactions or they weren't there to begin with. And yes I'm very socially aware.

2) It's possible that your attitude or how you discuss fitness, or conduct yourself, play a role in the reactions you received.

And you seem offended by both of these assertions rather than actually considering them. When you post in a public internet forum you're going to get a variety of replies and opinions but in this case it certainly seems to me that most people are suggesting similar things or at least making similar observations. You are discarding them, and I'm going to humbly suggest that you consider which is more likely --- you are right and all of us or wrong, or perhaps there could be some truth in what people here are concluding.

If it were me, I'd at least consider the opposing viewpoint.

Either way, best of luck to you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If you were ever socially aware you would know .....

were you wondering why people are giving you the side eye...

this sentence- is the answer.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

I started and stopped 3 times, seems SS hit it much more eloquently then anything I could offer.
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

We often find the exact reactions from people that we're looking for. Do you think that's it because those are the actual reactions, or that we interpret those reactions through the glass of our expectations?

I'm incredibly socially aware, thanks. I just don't expand the energy it takes to assign emotion to people that don't matter to me and then work up a butthurt about it. If the people I'm with think I'm ridiculous because I lift, I don't know it. I assume people mean well. Frees up my energy for things that matter.

And I have no problem telling you what I think of you. You come across as very self involved, and though you like to think of yourself as open minded, you're not. You like to brag about your accomplishments, but get defensive and assume people have an issue with lifting rather than your bragging. You expect people to be negative about it, so you see negativity in their reactions. You label sports as "soft" and you feel superior that you don't partake in them, thus giving exercise some sort of moral value.

My advice is to be far less concerned with what other people do, and focus on you and your goals.

Congrats on your shirt ripping.

Very last comment and then I'm off... 1st, I NEVER talk about my exploits unless I am asked about them. This is probably one of the very few times that I do in an environment where I hear people talk all of the time about their experiences with running, softball or cross fit as the vast majority so my "attitude" as you are perceiving it right now is based on a post where it was premised that I was going to vent. Vent meaning pent up frustration over a series of events that led up to this one instance (said stories of people bragging about training for marathons and games and such).

2nd, those of you complaining about me using the term "soft sports" do not know my background so let's review.. I started bowling at 5, tennis at 6, soccer, basketball and baseball at 7 (all of this while living both in The US and Europe), came to the states and throughout grade school part of our PE education was learning different sports, playing them and getting test on the rules and overall play which included handball, badminton, track and field, tennis, golf, swimming, basketball, kickball, dodgeball, soccer and floor hockey. I played football, lacrosse, basketball, cross country and bowled from 7th grade and throughout high school, I have tried cricket and rugby during that time and have played amateur football, recreational softball and done Muay Thai, wrestling, Brazilian jiu jitsu, judo and Sanda (Chinese kickboxing) up until now (also did two weeks of cross fit but that's a whole different discussion) So to say that I don't try sports and judge them without trying them is just because you don't know me. But what I have said this WHOLE thread was that for me...and just me...they are soft and for me...just me...I would not feel accomplished doing them for me...just me.

If any sport or anything that you do gives you that sense of pride and accomplishment then yes do you. I would never take away from that and never had and was fustrated and vented that I got those faces (and I know what I saw, it's the similar facial expression I got when I dated my first girlfriend and met her father haha. Also a completely different topic)

Again for those who don't agree or zealous over my statements, thank you although I did challenge some of your statements I did absorb them and they gave me a different world view.

For everyone who does understand and gave support, thank you. Don't get me wrong I was never going to stop my grind or let the incident effect me it was just a bit fustrating and its better to let your feelings out and let em go (no I did not see Frozen) than to keep em bottled up.

Peace out and good luck guys!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The op did seem a little braggish; however, he stated that he was going to be venting about all these things so it should be expected that he's going to bring them all up. We also don't know how he behaves at work so a lot of the responses here seemed like you were just adopting a mob mentality and attacking him based off of unsupported assumptions which seems to be a theme on MFP. If you think about it, this really just supports the likelihood of the problems that OP is having at work...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The op did seem a little braggish; however, he stated that he was going to be venting about all these things so it should be expected that he's going to bring them all up. We also don't know how he behaves at work so a lot of the responses here seemed like you were just adopting a mob mentality and attacking him based off of unsupported assumptions which seems to be a theme on MFP. If you think about it, this really just supports the likelihood of the problems that OP is having at work...

Oh, the irony....