What are your cheat day 'rules'?

Options

Replies

• NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    -One of the best pieces of advice I've read is to have cheat MEALS, not cheat DAYS. Low calorie options for all other meals of the day
    -Do loads of exercise either in the morning or day before your calorific meal to earn yourself extra calories!
    -Intermittent fasting works well to earn extra too- even if you don't want to do the full on 500 cals version then what I call a "lite" version of switching to 1200 cals instead of 1400-1600ish helps balance things out for eating at maintenence or slightly above.

Thanks - I generally save most of my extra calories on cheat/maintenance days for the end, but do have more all over! I think changing to "cheat meals" is a good idea.

Really didn't matter much this week though as I am an insomniac and decided to do some HIT to get sleepy! Just under 300 extra calories burnt which I've added to the Friday list as I did start then! Means I'm all clear this week so you can all quit telling me off or not telling me off or being rude or seeming rude or whatever.

I'm sweaty, I'm tired and I'm considering doing my HIT at night more often (a bit earlier) as I'm feeling far more tired!
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do not do cheat days. Occasionally I make a mistake: am forced to eat out by my poor planning, it is the one day a month my boss buys us doughnuts, or the meals just landed on the heavy side when totaled up. I will suck it up and move on. I do not let it get me down. But also, I do not plan ahead to fail by having cheat days.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hsmith0930 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a cheat day. I can't "cheat" on life. I'm in it until I'm dead, there is no winning or losing and I'm not competing against anyone. If I consciously choose to eat more calories some days, then I do it.

Cheat day is just the most familiar term I know for "eating a little more than usual". Sorry if you misunderstood :blush:

I like your method and may do it myself. I like to call it a "treat" day, but the way you have it laid out in the original post, it's not really cheating. You've/they've banked the calories to have on Saturday and you can eat 1/2 rack and be satisfied, guilt free. It's a "mind" thing for me and as long as I get results, Yeah!! It's like me and Lasagna, if I'm going to have it I want two generous helpings and lots of parm! I will take a good amount of time to savor it, but I'm having two when I do!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    But also, I do not plan ahead to fail by having cheat days.

If that works best for you! Well done by the way - we all know we have to suck it up sometimes, but it's still hard and I admire you for being able to do it! I certainly have a few hours of nervous "I should just quit" thoughts when I unexpectedly go over so to me it's amazing how strong you guys are sometimes haha!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a cheat day. I can't "cheat" on life. I'm in it until I'm dead, there is no winning or losing and I'm not competing against anyone. If I consciously choose to eat more calories some days, then I do it.

Cheat day is just the most familiar term I know for "eating a little more than usual". Sorry if you misunderstood :blush:

I like your method and may do it myself. I like to call it a "treat" day, but the way you have it laid out in the original post, it's not really cheating. You've/they've banked the calories to have on Saturday and you can eat 1/2 rack and be satisfied, guilt free. It's a "mind" thing for me and as long as I get results, Yeah!! It's like me and Lasagna, if I'm going to have it I want two generous helpings and lots of parm! I will take a good amount of time to savor it, but I'm having two when I do!

OH don't get me started about parm! I may have a healthy but large portion of lasagna next week with mince as my main treat, putting a delightful heap of cheese on top!

For me it's all or nothing with certain things, plus I find I savour it more if I get to look forward to it! Mmmm, I think for my own safety I'll have to start using the term "treat day" - I only used 'cheat day' because it's the only way I've ever seen mfp users describe it and thought it was a generally accepted name! Apparently not, eek!
  • uvi5
    Options
    How can it be a cheat if there are rules?

It's a cheat cause it's not your normal daily diet intake - usually above your deficit goal :)

I give myself rules because I'm a binge eater and need to learn to control the way I eat - I currently have the boundary rule of 500 calories but try to stay as far from it as possible too because I eat so excessively, and the rule to try to pre-plan that I am going to do it because my binges are spur of the moment and I can't let them control me :)

Sounds like a great strategy and you have something in your "safe zone" to look forward to. So you earned your "cheat" day. I would think banking a 100 calories a day for five days, to enjoy 2100 on Saturday is brilliant :smiley:
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My "binge" of a 3000 calorie meal is probably still under, or at least very close to, maintenance. It just so happens that it's far, far above my calorie goal for a regular day.

I'm salivating at the thought of a 3000 maintenance! Mine is somewhere between 1600 and 1650!
    EDIT: Before I do my exercise that is!
    I think part of the difference might be that you're 4'9" and I'm 6'9".

Per IIFYM, my TDEE is 3169. So, my "binge" is also "maintenance" if I also have a Dr Pepper.

Holy crapola, six foot nine !
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yep - I'd much rather lose weight slower than spend the next x number of weeks whining about how much I miss having a Chinese! I only eat half a Chinese anyway but to me it wouldn't be the same if I had to have less - half is exactly what I want but probably most of my calories!

EDIT: @jazmin220 I know! I actually have a friend who's brother is 6'8 and it's incredibly scary for me to stand next to him!
  • uvi5
    Options
    Why not just be conscious of what you're eating and making the choice to indulge in a treat and either fit it into your calorie budget or be fine with letting it push you over some? That makes way more sense to me than trying to deprive yourself of treats for most of the week and cramming all your cravings into one day.
    Because I don't want it to push me over some and if I have to give up three ounces of grilled chicken and an ice cream sandwich for four days so that I can have as much Mexican food as I want and not have it push me over some, that's a trade I'm willing to make now and again.

But how is that a "cheat"? You are making a conscious decision to keep your calorie counts low because you know you want to eat a lot of Mexican food on a certain day. What are you cheating at? Like are you cheating on grilled chicken and ice cream sandwiches for Mexican food? Are you in a committed relationship to those foods? No, you're a human. You eat like a human, by being conscious of what you eat and how many calories you're willing to eat of any given food. Sometimes the Mexican is a priority, sometimes it's not.
    I think it's a great strategy to manage the binge urge. Calling it a "cheat" day is perfectly fine. If it's working awesome! The whole journey for me and food is a "mind" thing and I have come a long way myself from the dreaded binge guilt cycle, starving, and trying to be what I thought was normal. My worst was at 87 pounds in 2010. I would binge and starve. It was sad and lonely. I like that the OP is finding fun ways to enjoy and manage food. I am and have been developing a good relationship with food. I need it every day to live and I want to be in control of it, not it of me:) Good on ya OP and ribs are good.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Why not just be conscious of what you're eating and making the choice to indulge in a treat and either fit it into your calorie budget or be fine with letting it push you over some? That makes way more sense to me than trying to deprive yourself of treats for most of the week and cramming all your cravings into one day.
    Because I don't want it to push me over some and if I have to give up three ounces of grilled chicken and an ice cream sandwich for four days so that I can have as much Mexican food as I want and not have it push me over some, that's a trade I'm willing to make now and again.

But how is that a "cheat"? You are making a conscious decision to keep your calorie counts low because you know you want to eat a lot of Mexican food on a certain day. What are you cheating at? Like are you cheating on grilled chicken and ice cream sandwiches for Mexican food? Are you in a committed relationship to those foods? No, you're a human. You eat like a human, by being conscious of what you eat and how many calories you're willing to eat of any given food. Sometimes the Mexican is a priority, sometimes it's not.
    I think it's a great strategy to manage the binge urge. Calling it a "cheat" day is perfectly fine. If it's working awesome! The whole journey for me and food is a "mind" thing and I have come a long way myself from the dreaded binge guilt cycle, starving, and trying to be what I thought was normal. My worst was at 87 pounds in 2010. I would binge and starve. It was sad and lonely. I like that the OP is finding fun ways to enjoy and manage food. I am and have been developing a good relationship with food. I need it every day to live and I want to be in control of it, not it of me:) Good on ya OP and ribs are good.

Oh and I want to enjoy and have fun with it! Oh btw to the OP i got inspired by a soup recipe you shared at 80 something calories a pop. I saved up calories today and worked out a lot, but it's not a day I'm going over goal. I don't want to today. The whole pot is 1020 calories and I can serve up as I want and it's yummy. My "all day soup" is in my diary and it's open:)

• NotQuiteNorm
    Options

I actually started less than 3 years ago being very very underweight with trouble eating again after starving (came from secretive, ignorant dieting because when I asked for help at size 12 I was told it was big bones and brushed aside) and now know I'm capable of a uk 4 eek! I got used to eating sugar (literally rainbow dust which is flavoured granules) and gold milk and then slowly got an appetite. This winter I had SAD and went back to using sugar calories in chocolate and crisps to fill days that I didn't want to eat, but this time a 5-6 piece bar quickly became 200g and then 400g and a pack became a multipack, then sometimes two! That along with meals like "a whole rack of bbq ribs" and "10 fish fingers smothered in ketchup" on the days between where I felt famished led to well... I wear mostly jogging bottoms because I refuse to buy the next size of jeans...

ht8iky.gif

This time I'm doing things more thoroughly as I don't want to be on either side of the extremes with my weight!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    Oh and I want to enjoy and have fun with it! Oh btw to the OP i got inspired by a soup recipe you shared at 80 something calories a pop. I saved up calories today and worked out a lot, but it's not a day I'm going over goal. I don't want to today. The whole pot is 1020 calories and I can serve up as I want and it's yummy. My "all day soup" is in my diary and it's open:)

Thanks! I love these for either days I'm sick or just want to be lazy!
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I save cheat days for occasions. Like, my birthday is next week, and I've been planning for months that I'll have a big cheat day then. Even if I'm 9,000 calories over--I've been planning it, getting ready to accept it (and ignore 'guilt'), and most of all, looking forward to it. It helps me stay on track during all the other days. If I'm thinking, oh, I can just go 200 over today and it'll be fine--yeah, maybe, but I'd rather have a big birthday meal rather than a 200 calorie midnight snack. I know most people do them somewhat regularly, but I just wait for big reasons to use my stocked up cheat days.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Substitute the word 'cheat' for 'treat', either way in the context of the post they are intended the same way.

I think the point here is that we are all different and we all choose the methodology that appeals to us *as individuals* to achieve goals that we set for ourselves.
    As for any goal based process, there is likely more than one method that can be used achieve the end result.

If you prefer not to have treats at all, scheduled or otherwise then that is OK.
    If you prefer to have treats anytime but keep within your daily allowance then that is also OK.
    If you prefer to bank calories over a week to 'save up' for a special occasion - be it a wedding/social occasion/ scheduled treat day then that is OK too.
    If you prefer to schedule a treat day and wish to put some guidelines in place for yourself to manage this allowance then this is OK - and a lot of people do this.

I am struggling with some of the comments in the post - if you don't believe in this strategy (cheat/treat/scheduled allowances - whatever label you call it), or choose not to apply this strategy to your own goal process then that is OK and your *choice* but please consider that your choices are your own and while they may work for you will not necessarily work well for others.

I think the author has a realistic and well thought out method for managing these treat days so that they are still controlled and contributing to her goals. I would like to applaud her for sharing and I will consider managing treat days or special occasions this way for myself moving forward.

On a side note, I wonder for those that choose not to have a treat strategy - again, there is nothing wrong with this choice, but why did you comment on this post? Surely the original question does not apply to you?...

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days but now I call them "treat" days. Rather than cheating myself, I indulge on something I've really wanted within my calorie limits and exercise to ensure I stay in the green. I usually eat what I want anyways; I function better without being deprived. :)
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    shannonbun wrote: »
    I save cheat days for occasions. Like, my birthday is next week, and I've been planning for months that I'll have a big cheat day then. Even if I'm 9,000 calories over--I've been planning it, getting ready to accept it (and ignore 'guilt'), and most of all, looking forward to it. It helps me stay on track during all the other days. If I'm thinking, oh, I can just go 200 over today and it'll be fine--yeah, maybe, but I'd rather have a big birthday meal rather than a 200 calorie midnight snack. I know most people do them somewhat regularly, but I just wait for big reasons to use my stocked up cheat days.

It was before my breakthrough of "I have to fix this way of eating", but this year on my birthday I got a 32x1inch portions proper sugarcream, iced 'Frozen' cake ordered for me by my mum seen as I'd been so low all winter. My family of 12 all had a slice of about 1by2 inches each (I got Sven because reindeers taste better than people and many other jokes and puns ensued)... Then in a binge I swallowed all but about 4by4 inches so I definitely had more than enough this birthday. Next year I'm asking her to get me a cupcake haha!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scheduled "cheat day". If I go over, oh well! I log it and deal with it. The next day, I just move on. I"m not perfect 100% of the time. I am not concerned with calories on major holidays and my birthday.

That being said, on Sundays, I consider the day to be a success if I just stay under my calorie; macros are of no concern that day. I usually have to eat a few things that will be thrown out soon if I don't eat them that day and those food usually are carbs. :smile:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Cheat day: "No Rules, Just Right"

I actually don't really believe in "cheat" days because I feel like this implies I'm depriving myself on a daily basis.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back in to MFP after not using it for a while. Here's how I plan to work it: I will do my best to stick to more or less my calorie budget when I'm at home. If I'm away from home, I will do my best to plan ahead (like taking a meal when I go shopping, or getting a subway sandwich, which is pretty easy to estimate). Every other week at church we have a potluck, and on those mornings I'll eat a little less than I normally would for breakfast and then try to eat moderately and not worry about it. If I get 400-500 calorie deficit for 6 days and then eat an extra 500 calories on one day, I'll still lose weight. But I won't eat a meal after potluck--that will be the last meal of the day. I am never hungry, even after the food all digests, because I have enough calories for energy, and most of the food served there is healthy food anyway, whole food, not junk, so it keeps my energy up well even though I don't eat again.

I don't really like junk food much anymore. That helps a lot!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    onyxgirl17 wrote: »
    Cheat day: "No Rules, Just Right"

I actually don't really believe in "cheat" days because I feel like this implies I'm depriving myself on a daily basis.

I do feel like I'm depriving myself though of some things I love - to an extent and for a really good reason! Because really the reason it often tastes so good that I miss it like this is that it's terrible for me unless eaten seldom. I used to eat take aways and high calorie food so often that I feel deprived and like to use my cheat/treat/maintenance days to slowly teach myself to consider once a week having just one or two of these foods normal, instead of the 3-5 times a week I used to normalize :)