Science behind fast days

Options
dstein46
dstein46 Posts: 28 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So before I ask the question, here are my stats, and yes my diary is open..
5'6" female
Starting weight:152
Current weight: 139
Goal weight: 128
I eat 1400 cals a day
exercise 300-400 calories off 5-6 days a week.

Edited: mini goal is 135 by the first week of May!

So, my question is: what is the scientific basis for having fast days and then regular consumption days? I am trying to lose the last 10(11) lbs so I was thinking of starting the 5:2 diet. Any tips,opinions, proof, personal success/failures are welcome to chime in here.

Should I give it a try or stick with my current method of daily calorie deficits? I have lost 13 lbs in about 9 weeks. But the last 2 have taken me 2 weeks to get, which is a good rate of loss and I am happy with it but just curious as to other options!

TIA
-Danielle

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    The only actual paper I could find is this one. Haven't read it (sorry!) but here it is!

I suggest finding papers (not articles, find the sources of the articles) from both sides of the argument and figure out what you think works best for you.

A note: everything I did find remotly related to fasting was for obese or overweight ppl. These will be scientific definitions, look them up, don't use your own perception of your body to decide.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23591120/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calorie control
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also adjust your expectations with only 10lbs to lose you should be aiming for 0.5lbs a week
  • rrodriguezdl
    Options
    The less you have to lose the slower it goes just hang in there and be patient with yourself.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dstein46 wrote: »
    5'6" female
    I eat 1400 cals a day

So, my question is: what is the scientific basis for having fast days and then regular consumption days? I am trying to lose the last 10(11) lbs so I was thinking of starting the 5:2 diet. Any tips,opinions, proof, personal success/failures are welcome to chime in here.

Should I give it a try or stick with my current method of daily calorie deficits? I have lost 13 lbs in about 9 weeks. But the last 2 have taken me 2 weeks to get, which is a good rate of loss and I am happy with it but just curious as to other options!

TIA
    -Danielle

I'm also 5ft, 6in, had a starting weight of 178ish pounds. I did alternate day IF (JUDDD) for my weight loss plan-I rotated high/maintenance calorie days with low calorie 'fasting' days (under 500 calories usually). I've now been maintaining for two years with a different form of IF. My maintenance range is 120lbs-125lbs. I could write a book about my experience lol, so if you want more info it would work best if you just sent me a message and I can give you some suggestions/places to start.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    5'6" female
    I eat 1400 cals a day

TIA
    -Danielle

My understanding is that it is no different than having a deficit every day. It's just easier for some people to restrict on two days each week. So it's more about adherence, not necessarily any "better" for weight loss.

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
    This is a very useful group to answer all 5:2 related questions.

The "science" behind it is that when you restrict your intake to approximately 1/4 your daily requirement, your body is forced to repair its existing cells, whereas when there's plenty of food it will make new ones. That's where the health benefits come form. In terms of weight loss, it's really just calorie restriction spread over a week.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    5'6" female
    I eat 1400 cals a day

TIA
    -Danielle

My understanding is that it is no different than having a deficit every day. It's just easier for some people to restrict on two days each week. So it's more about adherence, not necessarily any "better" for weight loss.

From my own experience with alternate day IF and then 5:2, you're correct :) I only felt like I was 'dieting' every other day, or twice a week (when I transitioned from adf to 5:2 as I went into maintenance). The other days were normal eating days and this was a huge mental 'plus' for me. I really do think this is what made me stick with the weight loss phase.
  • dstein46
    Options
    Thank you! I will check out the group. Sounds like it's not a whole lot different than just doing daily restrictions. Much appreciated!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
    This is a very useful group to answer all 5:2 related questions.

The "science" behind it is that when you restrict your intake to approximately 1/4 your daily requirement, your body is forced to repair its existing cells, whereas when there's plenty of food it will make new ones. That's where the health benefits come form. In terms of weight loss, it's really just calorie restriction spread over a week.

• dstein46
    Options
    Good to know, I want ALL the opinions. I think for myself I may be better off sticking with the daily calorie restrictions rather than doing IF.
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Here's the science behind fast days:

They suck.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a days where I'm low (900 calories), just because I wasn't hungry--usually because I'm not feeling well. I'm usually 1200-1500 with occasional high-calorie days (for me) of 1500-1800.

I would chew my own arm off on 500 calories or less in a day. I know it's not for me. But some people here really seem to get good results from it. Though I don't know if they enjoy it. For me, enjoying food is an important part of my weight-loss being sustainable. I would not enjoy a VLCD. :smiley:
  • thmjuddd
    thmjuddd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The "Trim Healthy Mama" plan/book has recipes for what they call "fuel Pull" meals. Basically VERY low cal meals, which would be a helpful addition on those fasting days. Lots available on Pinterest.