I thought this was wrong??

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just like my life, your life, and those of other MFPers....everyone has more to their story than they're willing to put out there for the entire world to know. I think there is a LOT more to this story than we know. I read the article too. My first thought was that I didn't believe the timeframe, don't really believe the # of calories either. Even under a doctor's care, there could be some serious long-term health effects from such a fast weight loss (IF it occurred as reported). But we won't know that until time has passed and then it's extremely unlikely that anyone will put it together with the diet he went on.

I think you need to do what is best for YOU. You and your doc can work that out together. I'm a regular person. Putting my make-up on the same way a model does is not going to get me on the cover of Vogue. Trying to lose weight the way it's reported Penn did it, isn't going to promise you the weight loss he got. Do what's best for you, and keep some healthy skepticism in your life when it comes to celebrities.
  • Sheila00000
    Sheila00000 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    1200 non doctor supervised minimiums were invented so that impatient people have a chance to not succeed in destroying their health!

When you lose weight you are losing water, muscle, and fat. Most people are only interested in losing the fat and would prefer to keep their muscles intact. Weight loss of more than 1% a week increases the chances that what you will lose is not fat.

Faster weight loss also sets you up with unsustainable habits. What happens when you are no longer on your "fast weight loss" plan? Did you change anything in your life or are you going back to your previous habits and weight?

I am not 100% clear as to what exactly happens with your body as you push down harder on the calories, someone with more knowledge may be able to clear things up. However things such as metabolic adaptation where your body learns to operate sustainably at a lower caloric level comes to mind.

I don't know about you; but, I actually enjoy eating, maybe too much so!

In any case, I plan to continue eating as much as my body allows me to in as "healthy" a manner as I can.

My goal is not to train my body to survive on the least amount of food possible.

My goal is to train ME to recognize when I am over-eating and how to make better trade-offs that maximize my eating satisfaction without leading to fat accumulation. And maybe move a bit more.

Last thought and you even alluded to it yourself (which makes me wonder why you even posted, what would you think would be better for me?

(change the numbers so that they are appropriate to you)

Would it have been better to go a three month diet at 1000 calories a day and lose up to 50lbs of weight while feeling h(a)ngry and lightheaded all the time, or to change my daily and eating habits over a 12 month period while eating an average of 2300 calories and lose almost 80lbs of fat?

It is not a sprint to the finish.

I enjoy eating way too much myself! lol But I posted this before I started reasoning on everyone's comments, and I have a vacation in June so I was thinking I could do the same thing he did and be at my goal by June instead of this .5 a week thing. It was SO tempting this morning after reading it, seriously.

I mean I almost didn't even eat breakfast so I could save calories for later, but I calmed down and asked everything so my head is on right now! ha ha! All of the comments are rounded and make sense, it's not smart for me. I'm the queen of fad diets so I was about to jump hard on what he did. The calorie's I'm dong now are working and it's not out of my limit of management.
  • Sheila00000
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    The thing that worries me is how some people may react to the story, just assuming that they can do that too, and possibly causing harm to themselves, or at the very least becoming discouraged when they don't see themselves losing a pound a day and just giving up completely.

Yes exactly!!! That's where I was at this morning. I was like I can do that! I never have had anyone to talk to before I have done these fad diets so you guys have been very helpful I don't feel like a slacker for not losing a pound a day, lol.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Just Googled... His neck looks like a Lady Garden. He can keep his pound a day weight loss. >:)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I had to lose weight quickly so I would be deemed an appropriate candidate for kidney donation. I did 1200 cal per day without eating back exercise calories for probably about the first 6 - 8 months. The speed at which I did it was for the recipient's benefit, not mine. If I had simply been doing it for myself I would have opted to go slower. Losing as much weight as I did in as short a time span as I did ended up actually messing up things that had been fine previously. My blood pressure went up. Like WAY up. My fasting blood sugar went way up....none of the doctors had any idea why but the common go-to was that losing weight quickly can mess with things and it takes time to "settle", whatever that means.
  • Sheila00000
    Options
    @megan wow how much did you lose in that time frame? With your number off hopefully you were still able to do the kidney donation. I'm realizing it does seem like it messes up more things internally than what's seen on the outside.

Since Penn was losing it for blood pressure reasons, I'm curious if his blood pressure went up like yours did. The articles don't say anything about his numbers after the weight loss.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Sam Smith did kind of the same thing for two weeks. But I hate the People feature that tells what celebrities are eating because they're probably lying through their teeth. I picked up the one with Tracy Anderson when I was in a waiting room and saw that she exercises and breast feeds her baby on 1700 calories. Even if she's trying to shed baby weight, that still seems really low for a celebrity trainer who worked out that day.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I lost about 120-130 of my total loss in that time period. I lost a little beforehand unintentionally just because groceries were expensive...lol...and I lost a few more pounds after to get to my current 140 ish maintenance range. My numbers did end up within an acceptable range for donation. I just donated at the beginning of january of this year. part of the problem with my blood pressure was that I was actually too low on my sodium (I aimed for less than 1000mg per day and was sometimes as low as the minimum required amount of 500mg) but I was running so much that I was losing a wackload of sodium from my high sweat rate. That threw off my sodium/potassium balance, which is what I suspect affected my blood pressure. I just get blank stares and a "well....good that it all worked out, I guess" from the doctors when I suggest that as a possibility, but it's the only thing I've found to closely correlate to my BP. I gave up on low sodium when my BP kept going higher anyway. As soon as I started pouring salt on everything my BP dropped from 145/84 to 106/64 within days and stayed there. And if I have too many days of super high sodium content meals it actually tends to dip even lower for the systolic...into the 90s range. That said, correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation. If you have high blood pressure, don't go pouring salt on everything because that worked for me. I'm weird. lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options
    Yes Amy I'm having a hard time keeping at my 1,600 to be honest. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol issues and I need to lose close to 55 pounds.

MFP has me losing .5 a week where I'm at, but I was thinking about lowering it to do more. But you are right, this is comfortable for me now. Anything less might tip more over what I can do at this point, willpower or not.

If you wanted, you could set MFP at 1 lb/week. I've got it set at 0.5 kg which is just a bit more than 1 lb/week.

At 0.5 kg/week, MFP has me on 1250, which is a challenge and is just doable. Thank goodness for exercise, or it wouldn't be doable for me.

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ophra did something like this too. Then, she got fat again.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also, as to whether a pound a day weight loss is feasible to you, that will also depend on metabolism. Are you a 6'7" man?

No I'm a female, 5"2. But what ana said, that he was eating a higher nutrient food diet, wouldn't that eliminate any causes of him weakening his muscle mass even those he lost a pound a day? He exercised too, so his muscles were being used causing them to not get any weaker.

No--you can minimize your loss of muscle by eating more protein and doing strength training (not just cardio), but even so as your percentage of body fat decreases your likelihood of losing more muscle mass along with the fat increases (you are always going to lose some muscle mass). How you deal with this is decrease the deficit as you get closer to goal.

I had a DEXA and learned that in losing about 1.5 lbs/week even after I was close to and in the healthy weight category (based on BMI), I'd lost lots of fat, but also more muscle mass than I was comfortable with--even though I'd been strength training and gaining strength and eating lots of protein. So I lowered my deficit. Right now I'm much more comfortable aiming at .5/week for the last few lbs.

I was willing to do a 1000 cal deficit and lose 2-2.5 lbs/week when I was obese, since I had so much more fat to lose that the risk was less and besides for my health getting some of that off faster was more significant. Now, losing weight if a good bit is muscle mass is not of interest to me (since at this point I'm losing it for vanity and fitness and that wouldn't further either goal).

Penn Jillette had a great deal of extra fat to lose and is a big guy--as a small woman with less fat to lose, it doesn't make sense to compare yourself to him. Sometimes extreme deficits work well for those who have serious health issues and are seriously obese, and that's fine, but they should be doctor-monitored.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I love the part where he doesn't restrict calories but eats no grains, wheat, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't recommend eating 1k a day at his size. But then I wouldn't recommend being 300 whatever pounds and being on numerous meds for blood pressure.

Strict doctor's supervision, I hope.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I love the part where he doesn't restrict calories but eats no grains, wheat, etc.

I like the
    "Now he isn't on a calorie-restrictive diet, but consumes no animal products, no processed grains, and no added sugar or salt. "I eat unbelievable amounts of food but just very, very, very healthy food."
    So, basically, an unbalanced diet is very healthy. Right.

It may be a hoax (time frame-wise), anyway nothing media should have exposed (but that's what media usually does, sensational "news" sell), it makes losing weight look both too hard and too damn easy, promotes unhealthy loss rates, degrades patience and makes others feel "undisciplined" or that their diet/exercise is "inadeqaute". Very, very dangerous, in my opinion.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I like the
    "Now he isn't on a calorie-restrictive diet, but consumes no animal products, no processed grains, and no added sugar or salt. "I eat unbelievable amounts of food but just very, very, very healthy food."
    So, basically, an unbalanced diet is very healthy. Right.

It may be a hoax (time frame-wise), anyway nothing media should have exposed (but that's what media usually does, sensational "news" sell), it makes losing weight look both too hard and too damn easy, promotes unhealthy loss rates, degrades patience and makes others feel "undisciplined" or that their diet/exercise is "inadeqaute". Very, very dangerous, in my opinion.
    I don't think you need animal products or any of those other things he's avoiding to have a balanced diet. There are many plant protein sources. Sugar, salt and processed grains aren't necessary for anything.

Not that I think he won't experience rebound gain. Most do. It's just how we are.

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Losing 1lb/day =/= healthy just because the diet consists of higher nutrient food.

• lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1,000 calories a day is the kind of diet plan they put patients on for bariatric surgery. I would say if your not super morbidly obese or morbidly obese 1lb a day is not a good goal for you, its too much. They just usually do that because the health risks of being morbidly obese far outweigh the risk of losing weight so fast. Plus, loose skin after such quick weight loss? No thank you, no skin retightening surgery for me! I'd rather loose low and slow and let my body keep up with me and look fantastic when I'm done instead of "winning the race".
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yeah my BS meter just spiked. So he's trying to tell everyone that his maintenance was 4500 calories?...BS An athlete may have a maintenance level at 4500 calories but not an average person, celebrity or not. There's no way it was that high to create a deficit of 3500 calories per day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it is quite interesting to note that he credits the restricive diet - and not the weight loss - for his improved health. And that he decided to continue the E/VLCD diet even after the initial, life threatening pounds were lost. The exerpt I read doesn't even tell if the process was medically supervised, just that he was told by his doctor to lose weight.

http://greatideas.people.com/2015/04/08/penn-jillette-weight-loss-las-vegas-home/
  • Momifer2014
    Momifer2014 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hope he's taking vitamins daily.