I thought this was wrong??

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    bluworld wrote: »
    Ophra did something like this too. Then, she got fat again.

Exactly. When you lose that fast, the weight is unlikely to stay off. This is not the first time that Penn Jilette has lost a massive amount of weight, and sadly, it probably won't be the last time he needs to do so. That kind of yo-yo is really hard on your body.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    If it isn't something you can stick to forever then there is no point in doing it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    If it isn't something you can stick to forever then there is no point in doing it.
    Why?
    Why must one plan to do something forever?
    If CICO is really how it all works, wouldn't it apply?

By the same token, couldn't someone eat low carb (and create a deficit), get to their maintenance weight range, then eat moderate carb (not at a deficit) and maintain? No? Why not?

I'm not advocating what Penn did. Just questioning the "do it forever" statement.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Why?

By the same token, couldn't someone eat low carb (and create a deficit), get to their maintenance weight range, then eat moderate carb (not at a deficit) and maintain? No? Why not?

I'm not advocating what Penn did. Just questioning the "do it forever" statement.

It's mostly directed at people who think "they're done" with the diet and go straight back to however they were eating beforehand, which is just gonna make them regain everything. I guess it should be more accurately called "If you don't have a plan on how you're gonna stay at your goal weight, there is no point in losing it." since the way you lose it and the way you maintain it doesn't necessarily have to be the same.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Why?

It's mostly directed at people who think "they're done" with the diet and go straight back to however they were eating beforehand, which is just gonna make them regain everything. I guess it should be more accurately called "If you don't have a plan on how you're gonna stay at your goal weight, there is no point in losing it." since the way you lose it and the way you maintain it doesn't necessarily have to be the same.
    Won't disagree there. I don't know if that's what kristinlarkin meant, however.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Good for Penn, he's a really bright guy who obviously has a tremendous will power and can achieve great things when he puts his mind to it. It's rather inspiring.
  • Zedeff
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I love the part where he doesn't restrict calories but eats no grains, wheat, etc.

I assume you're being sarcastic but I don't understand why.

Animal products and grains (wheat, rice) are very calorie-dense. Many people report increased satiety when they eat more voluminous meals. You could eat pounds of broccoli for the same number of calories as a few slices of brioche bread.

The guy didn't count calories directly, but he cut calories by avoiding calorie-dense foods. That seems entirely reasonable to me.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Sorry, TL;DR

No idea who that Penn guy is, but losing 1 lb a day means losing tons of muscle mass. That's why people end up skinny fat with lots of saggy skin.
    No good. No good.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Zedeff wrote: »
    I love the part where he doesn't restrict calories but eats no grains, wheat, etc.

Animal products and grains (wheat, rice) are very calorie-dense. Many people report increased satiety when they eat more voluminous meals. You could eat pounds of broccoli for the same number of calories as a few slices of brioche bread.

The guy didn't count calories directly, but he cut calories by avoiding calorie-dense foods. That seems entirely reasonable to me.

Exactly. So how hasn't he restricted calories but cut out entire food groups that have uh... calories?
  • kristenlarkin
    Why?

If you can do low cal forever that is fine. You have to choose what you can do forever. It doesn't have to be low carb, I just chose low carb
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    If you are eating healthy food I don't see anything wrong with 1000 to 1200 calories a day. Everyone loses weight differently. What works for one will not work for another therefore, do what works for you!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Just a guess here but was this super healthy food expensive, time consuming to prepare and possibly to difficult for a regular joe working a 40 hour a week job to follow?

1200 to my knowledge is a guideline and below this point normal people will find it hard to meet all their nutritional needs like vitamins etc.

• kristenlarkin
    Why?

If you can do low cal forever that is fine. You have to choose what you can do forever. It doesn't have to be low carb, I just chose low carb

Sorry thought I was on another thread. If you can stick to close to 1000 calories a day for life you'll maintain. He isn't going to be able to go up to 2000 calories and a day and add back a lot of wheat and grains and not gain weight back is what I was saying. He will be able to up it a little. If this is a way to eat for life he will be fine as all diets. I don't know if he can eat that way for life though. I couldn't, but some people are different
  • Zedeff

Exactly. So how hasn't he restricted calories but cut out entire food groups that have uh... calories?

Because not eating foods that have calories, and not counting calories are not the same thing.
  • c23prince
    c23prince Posts: 84
    Can you do it yes...is it bad it definitely can be and depends on the person and their goals...if your caloric intake drops too low it will result in muscle loss also...For a cutting cycle like im on now I try to stay around 2000 for my intake...all based on my size and goals. Which puts me at about 1.5 to 1 lb lost a week
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    How much muscle did they lose at that rate of loss?
  • c23prince
    c23prince Posts: 84
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    How much muscle did they lose at that rate of loss?

Not sure what it would come out too..big thing to take away is that you are starving your body when its that low. Can be done but doesn't mean that you are healthy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Because not eating foods that have calories, and not counting calories are not the same thing.

To restrict is to put an upper limit on something. Counting is 1,2,3 etc. He simply had a method for restricting his calories = a meal plan of some sort. Correct, he didn't count calories. But that wasn't my comment or his (per what I recall from the OP)

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Wait so .9 or 1 pound a day? Isn't that like 3500 cal deficit a day? So he eats 1000. Burns say 2k just sitting around. Needs to burn another 2500?

Would this not require several hours a day exercising?

Is this diet aimed at normal people to follow or aimed at people who don't work much like people with trust funds or retired people?

Or is he just showing it can be done.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Wait so .9 or 1 pound a day? Isn't that like 3500 cal deficit a day? So he eats 1000. Burns say 2k just sitting around. Needs to burn another 2500?

Would this not require several hours a day exercising?

Is this diet aimed at normal people to follow or aimed at people who don't work much like people with trust funds or retired people?

Or is he just showing it can be done.

That was my point earlier. There is no way that someone his age, at his weight can maintain a 3500 calorie deficit per day for 3-4 months without being hospitalized.