where am I going wrong?

Options
So, i've been dieting since January 1st 2015, so far i have managed to lose 25lb, taking me to 100.5kg, i'm struggling to move this into double figures rather than 100+
I wondered if anybody can see problems with what i'm doing and can help me work out what i'm doing wrong?

I work out 4 to 5 times a week. for 2 hours each time, i wear a polar FT4 which monitors my heart rate and calorie count, i make sure my heart rate is 150+ and my calories lost at the end of a workout are usually 650-900 calories.
I mix my workouts with cardio and weights too. (making sure the levels and the weights are challenging)

my meals consist of this:

2 handfuls of cereal for breakfast with milk
an apple and some grapes as a snack at around 11am
chicken salad for lunch
a banana at around 3 for another snack
and meat and veggies for dinner.

I also make sure i drink at least 2 litres a day!

but why is nothing changing? why can't i get my weight down anymore?!

please help me!! xx

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Weigh and track your food. You are probably eating more than you realise. Congrats on the weight loss so far.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Yeah. We don't know how much of that stuff you are eating, and how it's prepared.
    You're probably consuming more calories than you think.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How many grams/ounces of that food are you eating? You have to weigh it on a food scale.

Also, that's an amazing loss. Congrats.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that the OP said she wanted to weigh less than 100 pounds not kg, and I thought, "Why is everyone just accepting this? Why isn't anyone at least asking her how tall she is???" I need new glasses. Or something. :(

Then I thought I'd see if her diary was open. When I click on her name it says "Page not found". I guess she deleted her account?
  • canky77
    canky77 Posts: 19
    Options
    so you can eat too much salad? i have it plain as i don't like sauces.

surely if i'm burning 650-900 and sweating my *kitten* off then what i'm eating is okay?

Thanks guys x

• arditarose
    Options
    My first thought was that the OP said she wanted to weigh less than 100 pounds not kg, and I thought, "Why is everyone just accepting this? Why isn't anyone at least asking her how tall she is???" I need new glasses. Or something. :(

Then I thought I'd see if her diary was open. When I click on her name it says "Page not found". I guess she deleted her account?

Maybe. Sometimes there's an MFP glitch that says a user deactivated when it isn't so.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    A couple handfuls of cereal can differ greatly, calorie-wise. A couple handfuls of cornflakes could be 150 calories, a couple handfuls of granola could be 600 calories.

Always weigh your solid foods and measure your liquids. It's worth the effort! :smile:
  • canky77
    Options
    Hey, i'm 5ft 8 and 23 years old.

I would like to ideally get to around 80kg, i'm currently 100.5
  • canky77
    Options
    I eat special k cereal, sorry i should have made it clearer x
  • arditarose
    Options
    sarahcank wrote: »

surely if i'm burning 650-900 and sweating my *kitten* off then what i'm eating is okay?

Thanks guys x

"two handfuls" of cereal...could be two servings, three servings?
    chicken salad has mayo...and how many ounces of chicken?
    bananas should be weighed, they can have up to 120 calories
    meat and veggies for dinner...how many ounces of meat? 4? 6? 8? What kind of veggies and how many ounces? Did you cook with oil?

Yes. Not weighing your salads and meats can stall weight loss.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Oh good! You're here. I thought you had left!

It's possible to eat too much of anything, even salad.

How are you calculating the calories you burn? If you're using MFP, they are really REALLY generous. You may not be getting as many calories back as you think.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? How many calories are you eating? How big is your deficit? Are you over or understimating your exercise?

What the blazes is not wonderful about geting rid of 25lbs at a rate of 1.77lbs a week???????!!!!!!!!!

Oh, you are probably just concerned that you are losing weight too fast.

That you maybe need some time to figure out the life-style changes that will help you not gain it all back when you're no longer "dieting"!

Good call that!

(If you have an accurate log and periods of time where your recorded deficits matched your weight changes you might be able to go over your data and troubleshoot what is happening.

In the meanwhile chicken salad can be anywhere from 100 to 600 calories depending on the ingredients and their quantity, so really neither we, not I am afraid you, actually have a clue as to how many calories and grams of protein and fat and carbs you're eating!)
  • canky77
    Options
    Oh good! You're here. I thought you had left!

It's possible to eat too much of anything, even salad.

How are you calculating the calories you burn? If you're using MFP, they are really REALLY generous. You may not be getting as many calories back as you think.

I calculate the calories burnt using a polar FT4 watch, linked via a heart rate monitor, which i can enter my age, height, and weight into.

:)
  • canky77
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks guys x

meat and veggies for dinner...how many ounces of meat? 4? 6? 8? What kind of veggies and how many ounces? Did you cook with oil?

how much cereal should i be having?
    i don't like mayonaise, i make my salads fresh at home every day and put them in a little tub and take them to work with me.
    i normally have a 4oz chicken breast :) i use frylight spray :)

thanks
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A normal sized portion of cereal is 30g. And trust me... That's less than a couple of handfuls.
  • arditarose
    Options

canky77 wrote: »

Thanks guys x

i don't like mayonaise, i make my salads fresh at home every day and put them in a little tub and take them to work with me.

thanks

You should be having the amount that fits into your deficit...which is why you need to weigh it...so you know.

How do you know you have 4 oz of chicken?
  • canky77
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    A normal sized portion of cereal is 30g. And trust me... That's less than a couple of handfuls.

i've been to measure it and i was having 40g, rather than 30g, so i know i can lower that now :) x
  • canky77
    Options

Thanks guys x

thanks

You should be having the amount that fits into your deficit...which is why you need to weigh it...so you know.

I have 1 large chicken breast for the whole day, broken into 2 meals, i had one in the fridge and i just weighed it :)

i'm very fussy else i would eat fish etc but i can't stomach it.

how does the food work when i'm burning 600 calories in the gym? i don't fully understand it all.

If i'm eating less than i was before i went on a diet and im working out more and not eating anything bad, surely i shouldn't stall on my weight loss journey and struggle to lose?

sorry to sound dumb, i just need things explaining.
  • arditarose
    Options

Thanks guys x

thanks

I have 1 large chicken breast for the whole day, broken into 2 meals, i had one in the fridge and i just weighed it :)

how does the food work when i'm burning 600 calories in the gym? i don't fully understand it all.

If i'm eating less than i was before i went on a diet and im working out more and not eating anything bad, surely i shouldn't stall on my weight loss journey and struggle to lose?

Weight loss is not always linear. Some weeks you might not lose, and then the next it might drop off quickly. Water retention and hormones play a big roll in this.

Regardless, start weighing your food now. The more you have to lose, the more wiggle room you have. But as you get smaller and your deficit is not as large, it's really important to have the best idea you possibly can of how much you're eating.
  • canky77
    Options

Thanks guys x

thanks

Weight loss is not always linear. Some weeks you might not lose, and then the next it might drop off quickly. Water retention and hormones play a big roll in this.

Regardless, start weighing your food now. The more you have to lose, the more wiggle room you have. But as you get smaller and your deficit is not as large, it's really important to have the best idea you possibly can of how much you're eating.

Thank you for your help :)

how do i know what someone of my size should be eating? is there somewhere i can find out? x