How do I deal with being told I'm unattractive and undesirable?

Options
capriqueen
capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
Most of the people I hang out with have said this directly or indirectly. The only person who has said spoken otherwise is a people-pleaser so I wouldn't take her seriously. I've been told no one would fall for me, that I am unattractive and many other things that fall in that category. It usually doesn't bother me as I'm not generally conscious about how I look, nor do I crave attention. But sometimes it gets my self-esteem down and I avoid social interactions altogether.

How do I deal with this?

Replies

• oneunfitdad
    oneunfitdad Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    i have always found beauty is good for 1 night after that the personality has to be there if you can make people laugh thats all that really matters
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to you are so beautiful and I am not a people pleaser. Deal with it by not believeing it. I wish I looked as good as you and that's the truth. I can't understand why anyone would say that to you unless they are just jealous.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    There is not one person on this planet that isn't attractive to somebody else.
    You're a great looking person with a fantastic personality to go with it, never let anybody get you down!!

We are all on a mission to make our lives better, make yours how you want it.. never let anybody drag you down! You got this!!
  • capriqueen
    Options
    i have always found beauty is good for 1 night after that the personality has to be there if you can make people laugh thats all that really matters

I like to think I can make people laugh :smiley:
    @kungabungadin You're very beautiful! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Most of my friends don't understand that everyone is beautiful in their own way, and each has something special about them.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would find better friends. I generally avoid hanging around people who make me feel bad about myself.
  • oneunfitdad
    oneunfitdad Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    thats a much better way of putting it than i did :)
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    There is not one person on this planet that isn't attractive to somebody else.
    You're a great looking person with a fantastic personality to go with it, never let anybody get you down!!

We are all on a mission to make our lives better, make yours how you want it.. never let anybody drag you down! You got this!!

This is so true! Everyone has different ideas of what is attractive, don't let a couple of comments alter how you think about yourself. Sounds like you need to get some new friends to hangout with.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    byebye-rayray-7045.gif

Toss those "friends" away, kick them to the curb... get some new friends, people who appreciate who you are, not only think of what you look like. Why hang around people who make you feel miserable? :flowerforyou:
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    I think youre pretty, and more importantly, youre funny and intelligent and nice to people, you have a good personality.
    But having people tell you youre unattractive sucks even if theyre wrong,
    I say do thinks that make you feel beautiful and get new friends.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    These "friends" are being bribed by your parents. Parents secretly don't want to children to have intimate relations with anyone till their married.

As mentioned above, people have a narrow view sometimes. I have many friends I'm not physically attracted to, nor do I find them desirable.....................to me. Doesn't mean someone else won't. I do the old "schluff it off" and move on. Words hurt, but only if you let them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • capriqueen
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    These "friends" are being bribed by your parents. Parents secretly don't want to children to have intimate relations with anyone till their married.

As mentioned above, people have a narrow view sometimes. I have many friends I'm not physically attracted to, nor do I find them desirable.....................to me. Doesn't mean someone else won't. I do the old "schluff it off" and move on. Words hurt, but only if you let them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Bribed by my parents? I'm sorry, but my parents do not know my friends. Or did you mean their parents? Or did I miss something?
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    byebye-rayray-7045.gif

Toss those "friends" away, kick them to the curb... get some new friends, people who appreciate who you are, not only think of what you look like. Why hang around people who make you feel miserable? :flowerforyou:

Perfect!
  • capriqueen
    Options
    byebye-rayray-7045.gif

Totally! I hang out with them lesser and lesser. Honestly, few of these are people in my graduate program who have no engineering knowledge whatsoever but I never pointed that out. Not to blow my own trumpet, though. Why call me out on this, then?

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Been there, felt that, albeit in a different form, from my own inner enemy. Here, I share a few tips that have given me so much strength:
    1. If you believe in God, remember that He made you and thinks you're perfect, no matter what. Talk to Him about it, and see what His Word says about your worth.
    2. Practice mindfulness meditation, where you non-judgmentally notice and accept what goes on in and around you.
    3. Helping others helps you forget about your own problems/put things into perspective.

Again, I know EXACTLY what you're saying and would be glad to help/pray for you. Hope I helped!
  • kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That hit a nerve, like the above poster I used to hear those same lines from myself, and avoided social interactions, and basically talked to 3-4 people I considered friends and that's it.

every single human being is beautiful in their own way. Nowadays society defined beauty and if one doesn't fit the "guidelines" they're not pretty? BS.

You are charming, and every single person is charming in their own way. you must IGNORE these voices, and reconsider who you call a friend.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hang out with a different crowd. Beauty is so subjective and everyone has different preferences.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    kbxiii wrote: »
    That hit a nerve, like the above poster I used to hear those same lines from myself, and avoided social interactions, and basically talked to 3-4 people I considered friends and that's it.

every single human being is beautiful in their own way. Nowadays society defined beauty and if one doesn't fit the "guidelines" they're not pretty? BS.

You are charming, and every single person is charming in their own way. you must IGNORE these voices, and reconsider who you call a friend.

Thanks :) Although I can't imagine how you heard the same lines. I think some people are just incredibly close-minded and find any chance they can get to bring the other person down.

• kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    hun, there's always something that someone doesn't like..

You can look at a model and think her nose is too big, or a gorgeous face and think if only she lost weight, there's no pleasing everyone..
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Some people may get mad at me for this, because it could be taken to seem shallow, but maybe to feel more beautiful you can do things like paint your nails or try playing with make up. You can watch you tube videos and play around with colors. Try a bb cream or coloured nail polish or style your hair. Just like a fabulous new top can make you feel great wearing it, sometimes some make up can make you feel good too. Just for a quick fix, you know? For yourself.