I hate my my wedding dress now :(

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    By the way, post another picture after you've solved the "problem".
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    You look beautiful in your dress and all that matters is that you enjoy your day with the person you love most!

I understand your stress though. I'm getting married next April, and I'm considering buying a dress closer to the wedding just to minimize the risk of it not fitting later. I'm planning on something non-traditional, so I shouldn't have to stick to the recommended time-line. Ah, we'll see.

I hope you have a beautiful wedding and a wonderful marriage. Congrats!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    I think it looks really nice, and the fabric looks beautiful. I personally never went for the trend of everythone stuffing themselves into strapless dresses that usually didn't flatter the people, so I am glad to see a different, more flattering style. I think that if you made it too slim/tight, it wouldn't fit as gracefully--

Agreed - even after a massive wedding meal that dress will still look elegant and beautiful. A sash in the same colour as your bridesmaids' dresses might look nice if you wanted to cinch it in a little - or you could ask a seamstress to take it in a little just around the upper torso.

Agree.
    Your jewelry/accessories will really add to your look as well.
    Your wedding is about your marriage to a wonderful man.:heart:
    Focus on him and all your loving, supportive friends and family. :flowerforyou:
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    dress looks awesome. I love the shape and the fabric. your totally do have a waist. Bc you have lost weight, the dress hangs so elegantly. so lovely....i think it is just all in your head ( i meant that in a nice way :) forget abotu the dress and go have fun. Weddings are supposed to be fun.....enjoy and kiss your hubby lots
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's gorgeous. You're going to be a stunning bride.

I also think the sash is a great idea.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    what a beautiful dress! and you look wonderful - i love the way the dress flows!

I do understand what you are saying and i understand why you hate it but it really looks good.

I wish you a beautiful wedding to the person you love, and a wonderful life together.
  • cmakerr
    cmakerr Posts: 1
    Don't let the dress distract you. It is elegant. Stay focused on what is really important. You and your lover are committing your hearts to each other. That is a miracle. The dress will be forgotten in a few months. The purity of your promise will last a life-time and bless your friends and the children you bring into the world. Your lover will be looking into your eyes to see your love and express his love, not at how well the dress fits.
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    This is what it looked like the day I bought it...a little tight in the hips but perfect everywhere else. Now my butt is smaller and my waist is a lot smaller. It's really too bad we can't choose where we want to lose weight haha!

photo-4.jpg[/URL]
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Thanks everyone! It really does help hearing the positive aspects of it! I do love the fabric and how elegant it is :) I'm so glad I posted! :heart:
  • heweiland
    heweiland Posts: 42
    Your dress is absolutely beautiful. Good suggestions about a sash or taking in. I can see why you fell in love with this dress and your weight loss should be celebrated and not upsetting. You can adjust the dress...but would you really be happier if you still had those 16 lbs.? Here's to a beautiful bride! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

100% agree :smile: You look beautiful, and would love to see another picture once you have decided what to do! Congratulations on your big day! :heart:
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    It's very pretty. You should still be able to get it taken in a little. If the shop doesn't have a quick enough turn around time, try a local tailor.

This
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Agree with others who suggested a sash. It will help define your waist. The dress is beautiful. Hope you have a great day. Remember, the day is about far more than the dress you are wearing.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    I think the dress is gorgeous, a potato sack wishes it was this lovely! I agree with the previous comments, to either have a small nip taken in at the waist or adding a sash to define your waist a bit more. Believe me, on the big day you will appreciate having a little room to breathe rather than feeling like you have to "suck it in" all day!

Congrats and all the best for your wedding day and days and years to come! :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    JUst go back to the wedding shop where you bought it.

between tailoring, sashes and other ideas they might have that we don't they can get it fitting better for you.

it looks gorgeous though, but now that you've posted that 2nd pic, i get what you are trying to say. they veil is beautiful too by the way. best wishes!

9161-alvina-valenta-wedding-dress-2011-bridal-gowns-ivory-champagne-lace-v-neck-ribbon-sash-detail.original.jpg?1357171068lace-charmeuse-trumpet-gown-sleeveless-v-neckline-natural-waist-taffeta-sash-sweep-train.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTXKSZan0dLQK8r3oSQnq_QF8tg--tZy6oAVX-_6WBKXkRmjgeug

(here are some examples of sashes on lace gowns followed by an example of a sash on a trumpet gown like yours. i think combining all the ideas of tailoring as well as adding a sash to show off your new defined waist will give you the best effect. it will be svelte and smooth and the sash will not only define your small waist better, but also give a contrast which will higlight your rear more since it was the main attraction with the original fit. with the kind of beauty you have though, nothing can mar that. plus add the happiness of the day, and yeah, you're good! )
  • njones827
    njones827 Posts: 1 Member
    At the end of it all, it's your big day. I may sound a little different than others, but If you aren't happy, do something about it ASAP. I had the same thing happen to me. My dress hung around the waist and just did not look flattering. I married the man I love and it was a nice day, but I don't love all of the pictures! There is one where I'm sitting down and it looks fantastic-- other than that, any pics showing off my dress have been stashed. That's sad! Consider trying on others if you have the money and find one. The sash may work out... or it may make the rest of your dress bulge around it and look awkward. I'm just not sure your dress is made for a sash. You could also try to ask for a last minute alteration. I had to have that done once for a bridesmaid dress (taken out because I had just had a baby) and they charged a boatload on a "rush"order. It's easier to take something in though. Asking never hurts! You want to feel fantastic on your wedding day-- not self conscious!
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    It is natural to question everything before your wedding. You look great and the dress is beautiful. Congratulations!
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    A sash around the waist would look amazing on this! A satin in either white to match or even one of your wedding colours (and/or the colour of the bridesmaids' dresses)

If you have a friend who sews they might be able to do a quick temporary stich on this to tighten it a bit in the back during this week too.

But you do look amazing!! Congrats on losing 15lbs and your wedding!

Edit: just saw the second pic and it's tear-worthy! :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    At the end of it all, it's your big day. I may sound a little different than others, but If you aren't happy, do something about it ASAP. I had the same thing happen to me. My dress hung around the waist and just did not look flattering. I married the man I love and it was a nice day, but I don't love all of the pictures! There is one where I'm sitting down and it looks fantastic-- other than that, any pics showing off my dress have been stashed. That's sad! Consider trying on others if you have the money and find one. The sash may work out... or it may make the rest of your dress bulge around it and look awkward. I'm just not sure your dress is made for a sash. You could also try to ask for a last minute alteration. I had to have that done once for a bridesmaid dress (taken out because I had just had a baby) and they charged a boatload on a "rush"order. It's easier to take something in though. Asking never hurts! You want to feel fantastic on your wedding day-- not self conscious!

this is my fear too, that a sash with no tailoring might make it blousy in a way that dress is not intended to be. I agree you should take whatever steps to make it look how you like. its your big day, so just go look into it. there are lots of things that might be able to help quite a bit, and that's without even thinking of buying a new one which is of course still an option. (that dress is brand new i assume and so you might be able to recoup some of the cost by selling it as new with an explanation if it's not returnable.)

The only part i dont agree with above is that I think a sash might work nicely with your dress particularly if its in the same tone, such as the one's vera wang had out lately last season with the embellished details and huge bows. i mean a vera wang sash seems like an appropriate reward for your weight loss efforts, no?
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 133 Member
    Its beautiful! Just have it taken in a bit.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    You look stunning.

and hey with a slightly looser fit you'll be more comfortable.