How fast is a mile???

Options
13»

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    2 MPH is a slow walk
    3 MPH is a moderate pace (walking dog according to MFP but my dog usually demands stops along the way)
    4 MPH is considered a brisk pace and is usually about where I set the treadmill for a brisk walk @ my gym

I have seen people with shorter legs actually start jogging at about 3.5 but my jogging pace usually starts about 5.0 and I am pretty comfortable @ a jogging pace of about 6.5...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max
    Most ppl can run a mile in 9mins.
    I run a mile in 6 mins. It used to be 4 mins

I always wondered if you were all there, this post just prove that you are special.

What kind of people walk a mile in 10? or was it a reading comprehension fail on your part?

Also world record for running a mile is 4:12 for women, surprised I never heard of you before with your 4 minutes.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I disagree w/all of you.
    It should be 10-12 max
    Most ppl can run a mile in 9mins.
    I run a mile in 6 mins. It used to be 4 mins

I always wondered if you were all there, this post just prove that you are special.

What kind of people walk a mile in 10? or was it a reading comprehension fail on your part?

Also world record for running a mile is 4:12 for women, surprised I never heard of you before with your 4 minutes.

Uh....well, uh....you see....I really shouldnt talk about it, but she ran the 4 min mile in Russia....yeah, that's it, well, really it was East Germany. You see, she was a covert agent. Her mission was to infiltrate the E Germany Olympic training program...yeah, that's it....Verrry top secret, on a need to know basis......and when she walked the 10 min mile she was, lets see, oh yeah, in Siberia, on an iceberg....and....a big ole hungry polar bear was following her ....and all she had to defend herself was her expertise in pontification...but the bear, being a foreigner, couldnt understand english......
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My idea of a "brisk walk" is a 15-16 minute mile on pavement, a little slower on grass or trails.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    my mile is 14 minutes.5 minute walk then rest running.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    "Brisk" is definitely a perceived thing but if we're talking the difference between 2mph, 3mph and 4mph, I would definitely lean towards 4mph has being brisk.

After reading Stephen King's The Long Mile where the contestants have to keep up a pace of 4mph, I decided to try walking at that speed more often and it was hard the first few times! Even now it's a bit faster than I'd normally go (natural pace is about 3.5-3.75) and I have to push myself to keep up that pace. However at the time I was talking about it with a friend and he disagreed that 4mph was fast. To him that was more of a normal pace and it's not even like he's long legged or anything...I'm 5'7" and he's only an inch or so taller than me. Then there's my mother who struggles to walk 3mph so to her 4mph is quite speedy.

Best thing to do is to map out how far a mile is and time yourself then you know exactly how fast you're going. For example, let's say you went 1.4 miles in 24 minutes. Divide 24 by 1.4 and you get just over 17 - that means your walking pace is about 17 minutes per mile. Then divide 60 (minutes per hour) by 17 and you get 3.5 which is your mph
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    IDK what brisk is but I have short legs and walking fast for me is like a slow walk for my taller friends. If my taller friends power walk I have to jog.