How much money do you eat a day?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• hillarysiegel24
    hillarysiegel24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC where groceries tend to be expensive, and I spend less than $100/week on food. I would say I spend $50/week on groceries (most of it produce, some of it canned goods, rice, etc.) and I spend anywhere from $5-$50 on coffee/lunch during the week when I am at work. Primarily it is coffee, because I will pack lunch. A typical grocery list per week for me is:

- grapes
    - strawberries
    - blackberries
    - zucchini
    - spinach
    - romaine lettuce
    - kale
    - pasta or rice (whichever I am running low on)
    - yogurt
    - eggs
    - chicken or sausage (whatever I want for recipes for the week)
    - hummus
    - crackers or popcorn (whatever I am running low on snacks-wise)

I only shop at Whole Foods (sometimes Trader Joe's, or Wegmans if I am home visiting family) and I don't ever spend more than like $60, and that is usually if I am stocking up on canned goods and won't be spending less in coming weeks!

tl;dr I spend approximately $12/day on food!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I live in a large, northern city and shop at the "cheap" grocery store, but I don't make much effort to shop inexpensively other than stocking up on on-sale stuff. I spend about $600/month for two people (including toiletries etc.) but we eat a lot of fresh vegetables, seafood, and fresh beef. That's about $10/day per person, but I admit that's only for two meals a day as I don't generally eat lunch and my fiance buys his. We spend quite a lot of money compared to some people when you consider all that but I like to cook and I like high-quality ingredients, so we decided it's worth what it costs for us.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I've never eaten money before.

It's green (or used to be) so it must be a vegetable of some kind
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I live in an expensive part of the U.S. -- our family of 4 spends about $200/week. I don't know if this has been posted here or on a different thread, but I found it interesting so I thought I'd share: time.com/8515/hungry-planet-what-the-world-eats/
  • Bridge_912
    Bridge_912 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What types of things did you end up buying? Packaged? Fresh? Organic? That will be a huge indicator.
    We usually spend about 50-60 for my husband and I both.
  • hancy_caceres
    hancy_caceres Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I spend $200 for three people!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I live on 30usd a month, my average daily food/money intake is 1-1.50 a day

So without opening the whole "living below the poverty line" can of worms - you can't live on $30 USD a month. You just can't. That's not even 30 cans of soup - well maybe it is where you are but where I live they're like $1.25/can.

Yes, but if I am making soup using a lot of home-grown veggies, I can get probably ten servings for $1.25. Freeze what you can't eat right away and that amount goes a long way.

I could live on $30 a month in food, but it wouldn't be fun, easy or very healthy.