I went way over my calories today! Am I doomed forever?

Options
Today I ate at least 1500-2000 calories over maintenance, possibly more (I don't even know!)

Here's what will happen:

a) When I wake up tomorrow I will probably be up 3-5 pounds from my normal weight. This is because I ate so much that I will replenish my glycogen stores (I am usually at a deficit) and retain a ton of water. I will not have actually gained 5 pounds overnight because that is impossible.
b) I will get back on my deficit, and if I still eat at my 1 lb/week loss calorie level the other 6 days of the week, even if I went 2000 calories over today I will still lose almost half a pound this week.
c) Everything will be fine.

Remember - ONE BAD DAY will not ruin your diet forever. Don't let it derail you. Just get up and keep going and remember that you can recover pretty easily from one bad calorie day. The worst thing that you can do is consider a single bad food day as a permanent mistake and give up. One bad day will not hurt you that badly. Just don't make it a habit. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps, log it, and do better tomorrow. Forget the bad day and move on.

(For me, I engage in extreme overindulgence very rarely and don't do a regular or planned "cheat day". I do think it's very easy to wipe out an entire weekly deficit if you allow yourself to overindulge too frequently)

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I overate by 7000 about....which is more than my monthly deficit...but since it's my bday, I'm certainly not giving a s***t. Hahaha
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    Today I ate at least 1500-2000 calories over maintenance, possibly more (I don't even know!)

Here's what will happen:

a) When I wake up tomorrow I will probably be up 3-5 pounds from my normal weight. This is because I ate so much that I will replenish my glycogen stores (I am usually at a deficit) and retain a ton of water. I will not have actually gained 5 pounds overnight because that is impossible.
    b) I will get back on my deficit, and if I still eat at my 1 lb/week loss calorie level the other 6 days of the week, even if I went 2000 calories over today I will still lose almost half a pound this week.

Remember - ONE BAD DAY will not ruin your diet forever. Don't let it derail you. Just get up and keep going and remember that you can recover pretty easily from one bad calorie day. The worst thing that you can do is consider a single bad food day as a permanent mistake and give up. One bad day will not hurt you that badly. Just don't make it a habit. Pick yourself up by the bootstraps, log it, and do better tomorrow. Forget the bad day and move on.

(For me, I engage in extreme overindulgence very rarely and don't do a regular or planned "cheat day". I do think it's very easy to wipe out an entire weekly deficit if you allow yourself to overindulge too frequently)

giphy.gif
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Lol, i was ready to post with 'one day won't make a terrible difference, just get back into it today, we're all human, etc.'

YES to point A: The number of people i see posting about how they weigh in at 2lbs more than the previous day after going 500 calories over their daily allowance is a bit much sometimes. Relax people and do the math, and accept we will all make mistakes.

Good post :)
  • shawnaes91
    shawnaes91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Too bad theres not a love this option for the OP.
  • shatandrawilliams
    Options
    Thank you I really needed to read this! I had a bad day of overindulgence yesterday
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    We're all doomed!!!!! :lol:

What a brill post! Nice to see some common sense in a sea of stupidity lol
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Love this! I ate soooo much at my best friends wedding yesterday and I didn't even know how to log it. I weighed this morning (out of interest, I know it's not real weight gain) and I'm up 4lbs - but I don't even care. It was one day of indulgence and I'm back on the logging train today. I will be back down to normal in no time and that chocolate cake was worth it.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I overeat almost every week, I end up losing a little bit less because of it.

but still 22kg down, so doesn't look like it hurts?
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Ha! That must have been awesome!
    We are having a baby-naming party, I'm having a NYC bagel with cream cheese, lox, capers, the works and I am going to LOVE IT!!!
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes! This! Can we just make every new MFP member read this?

I go over all. The. Time. Sometimes massively. No doom yet. :p

I have my daily cals set higher than what MFP suggests for just a pound a week, but lose about 6 and a half pounds a month, consistently. To me, it seems to be what you do AFTER you go over your daily calories that matters. Getting right back on the wagon after hurling yourself off (again!) makes a big difference.

5tlo3rii5nvl.jpg

x753nn8o7yt7.jpg

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I went over by about 2000 cals yesterday, but i'm back on track today and pre-thinking my meals for the rest of the week.
    I also won't be logging my exercise all week.
    I've even opened my food diary, which i'm hoping will shame me into eating better Meals. Lol
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »

... No doom yet ...

LOL!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. When I have a day like that, I just drink a lot more water and stay off the scale for a couple of days, then it's onward and downward.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Yes! This! Can we just make every new MFP member read this?

I go over all. The. Time. Sometimes massively. No doom yet. :p

I have my daily cals set higher than what MFP suggests for just a pound a week, but lose about 6 and a half pounds a month, consistently. To me, it seems to be what you do AFTER you go over your daily calories that matters. Getting right back on the wagon after hurling yourself off (again!) makes a big difference.

5tlo3rii5nvl.jpg

Your graph looks like mine. When I take mine to my doctor appointments, she points at the occasional spike and goes "good, you need a fun day once in a while".

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Here's what will happen:

What a refreshing post OP! Btw, congrats on your fitness acomplishment. You look fantastic. The before and after picture are like two different people. You looked lovely before, but wow very inspiring for me.

I planned my "treat" day for yesterday, but worked my butt for it. I had only ended up having 2008 calories w/ 498 exercise left over. I also carried over 500 exercise calories from the day before (also had 375 left over from exercise from that day as well). Anyway, the day before Easter I mindlessly ate and did not log it. Maybe a few cups rice and a few servings of chips, ground turkey, fruit, guacamole, salsa etc... I wish I had logged it. I did not work out and felt awkward after over two weeks rocking my fitness plan. After yesterday and knowing I logged my day, I feel great. As I get better at this, I know I will have a day that I gross a few thousand over my goal for the day, but I will log it and pick up where I left off the next day. I love food and am really starting to love working out (as I did years ago). I did not think at my age that I could feel this good and can eat, enjoy and be fit!

Thank you OP for this post!

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »

Here's what will happen:

What a refreshing post OP! Btw, congrats on your fitness acomplishment. You look fantastic. The before and after picture are like two different people. You looked lovely before, but wow very inspiring for me.

I planned my "treat" day for yesterday, but worked my butt for it. I had only ended up having 2008 calories w/ 498 exercise left over. I also carried over 500 exercise calories from the day before (also had 375 left over from exercise from that day as well). Anyway, the day before Easter I mindlessly ate and did not log it. Maybe a few cups rice and a few servings of chips, ground turkey, fruit, guacamole, salsa etc... I wish I had logged it. I did not work out and felt awkward after over two weeks rocking my fitness plan. After yesterday and knowing I logged my day, I feel great. As I get better at this, I know I will have a day that I gross a few thousand over my goal for the day, but I will log it and pick up where I left off the next day. I love food and am really starting to love working out (as I did years ago). I did not think at my age that I could feel this good and can eat, enjoy and be fit!

Thank you OP for this post!

Btw, may I ask how tall are you? I started at 163 Lbs. I was down to 154 last time I weighed, but wont weigh again until next month. I know I've slimmed more because my close are hanging on me.

• lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think people get too wrapped up in their daily deficit that they forget you need 3500 calories for a pound. Which means you'd need to binge over 3000 calories to actually gain just ONE POUND overnight, and most people who overindulge don't overindulge THAT MUCH. I've gone through and put in days in which I "eat the world" as I like to call it and it ends up being at most 700-1500 at most over. Which isn't great, but also isn't even half a pound so, meh?

And really, what is a pound in the grand scheme of things? You fluctuate a few pounds every day just living your life. Unless you're competing or have a need to be at a specific number at a specific time, just relax, it'll all be okay and work itself out.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ha thanks everyone, glad you liked it.
    Just as a report in, temporary scale damage wasn't as bad as expected, 2 pounds up. Whatevs, it will all go away in the next few days. I've got nothing to weigh in for.
    When I went to bed I was really impressed at the food belly that I was rockin! It actually felt really strange to be so ... full. The last time I ate in excess (let alone over maintenance) was on Christmas day so I don't eat like this often. I forget the feeling of when you are so stuffed.
    I also feel kind of bad today. It's like a food hangover!!

But it was worth it :lol:

@uvi5 Thank you! I've been at it for almost a year, so it's been slow and steady winning the race. I think you did better than me for a treat day, I knew about mine all week and I didn't save anything for it :wink: I am 5'1"
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a plan to follow up on this thread with my daily weigh-in to report how long it took the temporary weight to go away.

1 day after +2 Pounds overall
    2nd day +3 overall
    3rd day +4 overall (I can see why people get so freaked out )
    But on the 4th day I came down with the stomach flu. I not only didn't weigh in, but I ate 500 cals all day, and surely didn't even retain that.
    So 6th day after I am back to normal (and still with the flu ), but without a valid dataset.

• krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this thread today. I'm going to a birthday party tomorrow in which there will be smores (which I desperately want and have already added two into my log) and other foods I'm not sure about, but I want to have a good time and partake. I've read enough of the boards to know I don't have much to worry about, but I still do.

So thank you, I've been worrying all week and even considered not going just to avoid the food.

I'm just going to have a good time, get in my run before the party and the morning after. I'm the DD, so at least I won't be hungover. :wink: