What are the best sauces and dips you've discovered to satisfy taste but keep on track?

Options
2»

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I make my own hummus and red pepper dip. It's easy and you can be sure it's fresh and without any preservatives.
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Marmite

HP sauce mixed with low sugar Heinz ketchup and soy sauce.

Malt vinegar

I make a serve all Asian sauce out of low sodium soy sauce, hoisin, Thai shrimp paste, sesame oil and low sugar ketchup and squirt it on everything.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    gochujang
    labneh
    hoisin
    tamarind chutney
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice. Taste so zingy and fresh on so many different foods.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Pre-calorie counting I would have mayo with everything. I have now replaced this for the most part with either sweet chilli, ketchup, BBQ or light philly as they're all quite low in calories :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Too many condiments, herbs, and spices to count in my kitchen -- and growing along the front walk -- but here's one category.

I use a variety of things that I usually have on hand to add salty flavor with added depth:
    • anchovies
    • oil-cured olives
    • capers
    • cornichons
    • nam pla
    • soy sauce
    • applewood-smoked salt
    • country ham scraps (always in the freezer as ersatz prosciutto)

Crumbled feta, shredded ricotta salata, and freshly grated parmigiano reggiano also add salty goodness.

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is jerk seasoning! A close second is Trader Joes Spicy Asian Peanut Vinagerette.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian, so it's gotta be SOY SAUCE!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Any and all hot sauce. My husband and I have a hot sauce addiction and we have a rather large collection of hot sauces we have collected during our travels. I like my food to be SPICY.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yes to Nando's Peri-Peri sauce, sriracha, and my favorite - picamas!
    I also love oyster sauce, fish sauce, pickled things (jalapeno, capers, giardiniera), and I love to use a little bit of Neufchatel melted into my dishes to make a cheesy sauce - works for eggs, veggies, zoodles, etc.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I eat the same sauces and dips I alwaYs have but I changed my behavior. Instead of dipping and filling things up with the sauce or dip...i dip the chip or cracker in...and coat it a tiny bit on one corner..thats all. a light touch gives me a bit of taste without....all those calories.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    My all time favorite is jerk seasoning! A close second is Trader Joes Spicy Asian Peanut Vinagerette.

I almost forgot about Jerk! We switch between jerk seasoning, paste, and sauce.
    I actually went to TJ last weekend because you mentioned the vinaigrette and I couldn't find it anywhere :(
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ
    2. Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup (5 cals per serving)
    3. McDonald's Sweet & Sour Sauce (I horde this stuff, omg)
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I make different flavored sauces/dips/spreads using greek yogurt as base.

The laziest one is some greek yogurt, 1-2 tbsp of light mayo and some drops of Tabasco sauce or Soy sauce. Nice for the rare times when I have boiled potatoes.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Best tasting - honey dill..... not so great to keep on track I love loads of it and it's pretty darn high cal/low nutrients. I don't have it often.

Best tasting keeping on track - honey mustard for meats, vinegar for fries, home made garlic hummus for veggie sticks and home made raw salsa for EVERYTHING lol.