Is there a YouTube example of what 4.0 mph walking looks like?

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I don't get a tracker until next month and not sure which one to get yet. I was set on a FitBit Charge HR, but getting mixed feedback. Anyhow, until then I would like to get some idea how fast i'm walking (in my large driveway). I feel like i get to the point right before running. I breath heavy and can't hold a steady conversation...blah blah and all that. I think a visual would help for now. I do it various times a day and have been logging it at 3.5 mph. If anyone finds/has a link to a youTube video, could you share this? Thanks! :smiley:

I'm still searching youTube now myself.

Replies

• mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Leslie sansone 15mins 1 mile walks is around 4mph.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I'll look for a youTube vid. I'd like to know how fast i'm walking :smiley: Many say i'm like the "ever ready bunny" but now I want to know if this is true and what I'm burning smiles. Thanks I'm looking it up now!
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Time your walk and then measure the distance you've walked on a website like this:
    gb.mapometer.com/
    and you'll be able to work out your speed. This will give you your actual speed and no need to guesstimate your speed against a youtube video.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your height is going to affect how fast you are able to walk. I can walk 4 MPH on a treadmill (no terrain)...not so much with uneven ground (5'5").

Re: YouTube....Leslie Sansone videos are 4 MPH at the highest speed....Leslie uses beats per minute (BPM) as her estimator.....that may help a bit. Jog FM is a website that gives you songs based on walking (running, riding) speed.

Beats per minute for 4 MPH are 140's
    https://walk.jog.fm/workout-songs/for/15:00/minute-miles

You can narrow songs by genre too. I load up an MP3 player with fast songs and this helps push me.

Granturismo has a good idea. Lots of mapping apps out there to help you too.
  • grasvan1
    grasvan1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A short guy and measure speed in Km. When I'm walking at 6.5=4 Mph I'm close to a jog. If you download Map My Walk it will log your speed in in real time. And I think it links to MFP so you don't enter data twice.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Jog FM is a website that gives you songs based on walking (running, riding) speed.

You can narrow songs by genre too. I load up an MP3 player with fast songs and this helps push me..

oh neat! I have to check that out!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Anyhow, until then I would like to get some idea how fast i'm walking (in my large driveway). I feel like i get to the point right before running. I breath heavy and can't hold a steady conversation...blah blah and all that. I think a visual would help for now.

You can't tell from that - walking speed isn't a function of heart rate.

Trace out your route on Google Maps, figure out your distance that way.
  • lizardlipsagain
    lizardlipsagain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    not sure if this will work but couldn't you drive a mile/kil and then time how long it takes to walk it to give your speed. If there is a problem with this theory can someone let me know cause that is what I have been doing. I live in the country so Map my Walk doesnt work for me. I also live in a hilly area( only a short section is level) so I have been logging as going downhill as it is less calorie burn than going uphill.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone then Endomondo or Runkeeper, or various other apps, will tell you how fast you walk.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Time your walk and then measure the distance you've walked on a website like this:
    gb.mapometer.com/
    and you'll be able to work out your speed. This will give you your actual speed and no need to guesstimate your speed against a youtube video.

I circle and do figure 8's in my driveway, but I do it fast (or so I think i'm going fast) :smile:

• uvi5
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Your height is going to affect how fast you are able to walk. I can walk 4 MPH on a treadmill (no terrain)...not so much with uneven ground (5'5").

Re: YouTube....Leslie Sansone videos are 4 MPH at the highest speed....Leslie uses beats per minute (BPM) as her estimator.....that may help a bit. Jog FM is a website that gives you songs based on walking (running, riding) speed.

You can narrow songs by genre too. I load up an MP3 player with fast songs and this helps push me.

Granturismo has a good idea. Lots of mapping apps out there to help you too.

I must charge my mp3 player. This is cool, thanks

• uvi5
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Anyhow, until then I would like to get some idea how fast i'm walking (in my large driveway). I feel like i get to the point right before running. I breath heavy and can't hold a steady conversation...blah blah and all that. I think a visual would help for now.

my route is my driveway :blush:
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone then Endomondo or Runkeeper, or various other apps, will tell you how fast you walk.

I have to question endo. I took a 10k walk just to see how long it would take me to WALK it. It listed my average speed at 3.5 mph and highest speed at 8.1 mph. I don't think so. Lol. I didn't even jog, much less run. Oh and my time was about 1:45:00.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

I'm on acreage, I get that. :smiley: If the driveway is long enough, it'll show up. Alternately, grab a free app like Strava, and it'll use GPS to give you your distance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    zacksnana wrote: »

I have to question endo. I took a 10k walk just to see how long it would take me to WALK it. It listed my average speed at 3.5 mph and highest speed at 8.1 mph. I don't think so. Lol. I didn't even jog, much less run. Oh and my time was about 1:45:00.

Ignore the "highest speed" numbers, any little glitch in the GPS and they can get thrown off big time. But the 3.5mph average is almost bang on for 10k in 1.75 hours.
  • lrenaee
    lrenaee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height what your walk at a certain speed will look like...my fiancee and I walk/jog/run on treadmills next to each other, and his walk at 4 mph looks a lot different than mine, since he is about a foot taller! If you could go to a track (like at a school) you could time how long it takes you to go a mile around at your "workout walk" speed to figure out your mph. Or get a HRM, as how hard you heart is working is more important than the speed anyways, right?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and can't for the life of me get less than 2500 steps per mile. Put on a pedometer, walk a mile somewhere in a park where the mile is measured, and see how many steps it takes you to walk a mile. Use that figure when you're walking up and down your driveway. Not complicated.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

All GPS based products can suffer from issues as they chop from spacecraft to spacecraft, so it's a function of the phone GPS rather than the app.

fwiw I used my Garmin watch on my turbo-trainer last weekend, and the mapping covered points over about a hundred yards either side of my garage, over the course of an hour. Mapping covered about 800 metres, whereas my speed sensor gave me 40km.

Given that the original question can't reasonably be answered then some form of GPS tracking might help.

fwiw, watching a video of me walking at 4mph would look quite relaxed as that's reasonably slow for me, whereas watching someone else would look hectic.

• zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options

Ignore the "highest speed" numbers, any little glitch in the GPS and they can get thrown off big time. But the 3.5mph average is almost bang on for 10k in 1.75 hours.

Good to know. Thanks! Also - forgetting to turn off endo when you get in car after a walk will seriously give you a high mph. :)
  • uvi5
    Options

I'm on acreage, I get that. :smiley: If the driveway is long enough, it'll show up. Alternately, grab a free app like Strava, and it'll use GPS to give you your distance.

That would be for a smart phone? Also, thank you for the info :smiley: